Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

My driving licence expires on April 29th, and I received the renewal form, accompanied by a notice. After details about the new Public Services Card requirement, it says that from April 2018 onwards there'll be an option to renew online, for 'some of our customers'. And that to see if I may be able to do it, I can visit the NDLS website.

I can't find anywhere on the website to find that out (or any link to an online form) - does that mean the scheme hasn't yet started? And if so, does anyone know the starting date?

I'll probably just walk in to my local centre as usual, but it could be useful to know if online application will be an option should an ailment or something keep me at home when time's running short (in our household, we never know what might suddenly need attention, or when!).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems there is info missing in your post. Are you asking about online or the card?

Acc to Irish Times it may not be mandatory (this was last month though)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/public-services-card-to-obtain-driving-licence-now-voluntary-1.3442172

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can only do the online renewal once they have your picture. So for a first renewal you have to go into an office to get your picture taken and subsequent renewals should be doable online, whenever it's launched.

Asking about the online option for renewal, biko (I have a Public Services Card - sorry for confusion).

Thanks Del2005 - they already have my picture (it's on my new style credit card size licence).  Just wondered if the online option has started (and if so, how to get to it).

(Though if by "online" they mean the same as Medical Card applications do, it won't save any journeys!)

Had the renewal done today.  (They did need to take a new photo, though they took the last one only 3 years ago).

I'd forgotten how quick the process is, and was so impressed with the speed that I forgot to ask about online applications!  (Though a new photo each time seems to remove any advantage of those).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 The Meeples Champ

Do I need to book an appointment online or can I just take a ticket when I arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do I need to book an appointment online or can I just take a ticket when I arrive?

You can walk in but could be waiting a while it all depends. Get in early.

You can walk in but could be waiting a while it all depends. Get in early.

Thanks a mil. There is no where with appointments in my area for the next 3 weeks and my licence needs to be renewed by the 15th. Completely underestimated the queue for appointments

Thanks a mil. There is no where with appointments in my area for the next 3 weeks and my licence needs to be renewed by the 15th. Completely underestimated the queue for appointments

Definitely go and take a ticket. I renewed a few months ago and several Internet bookings didn't turn up while I was waiting for my appointment. I was booked in for 4pm in Citywest and the drop in wait time was 30 minutes

Yes, Del2005 is right - it's worth trying a walk-in(s), especially when near the renewal deadline (it could get you sorted very quickly).  The less popular centres might increase the chances, but they seem very good at fitting people in anyway.  And unless you leave it till nearly closing time, chances are there'll be a no-show/latecomer anyway.  I made an appointment this time, as my centre appeared nearly booked up for the next week or so.  I got there early in case of no-shows, and lo and behold there was one and I got seen a bit before my appointed time.

You could always also bag the earliest appointment available, and keep checking the appointment calendars (people do exist who bother to cancel soon enough to be helpful!).

• Advertisement

Thanks Folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Anybody apply for a licence in the last 3 weeks notice any delays ?

Passed the artic test and went in on Wednesday the 16th may and haven't gotten anything yet.

Not even a text to say the licence has been dispatched.

Didn't have issue in the center and didn't have any problems with previous licences this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Anybody apply for a licence in the last 3 weeks notice any delays ?

Passed the artic test and went in on Wednesday the 16th may and haven't gotten anything yet.

Not even a text to say the licence has been dispatched.

Didn't have issue in the center and didn't have any problems with previous licences this year

Its the main centre that the delay is i say. i did mine in middle of march & it was over 2 wks before i even got a txt msg saying licence was sent. Could get it Wed nxt week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I have to renew as mine is due for renewal at the end of next month. So I go into the centre and they give a 2 hour 40 mins wait time, ticket 55. Feck that I said so I piss off to get a hair cut, when I arrive back after an hour or so, I see the ticket number 72 is displayed on the screen.
    So I missed my fecking time slot :(. Now I have booked it online which I should have done in the first place. Next friday is now booked to renew this feckin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Must've been a fault on their system.

Got a text this morning to say dispatched today to expect withing 3-5 working days

Was in the letter box when I got home !

Result !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Must've been a fault on their system.

Got a text this morning to say dispatched today to expect withing 3-5 working days

Was in the letter box when I got home !

Result !

as In Monty Python ''You lucky Bastard'' :D:D:D (have to do it in the voice)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Booked a few weeks ago for Leopardstown today, was in there about 15 minutes, a lot quicker than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Walk in is the way to go in Wexford Town. Never more than 3 or 4 waiting at any time. When I booked online it was a 10 day wait. I was in and out in 30 minutes going in the next day

Hal1 wrote: »
    I have to renew as mine is due for renewal at the end of next month. So I go into the centre and they give a 2 hour 40 mins wait time............

I was advised to try Santry ndls, So I did so this afternoon. In and out in an hour, maybe 30 people in front of me. I'll have the new drivers card in a week or so. Still have my pink license too as it's still valid :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Hal1 wrote: »
    I was advised to try Santry ndls, So I did so this afternoon. In and out in an hour, maybe 30 people in front of me. I'll have the new drivers card in a week or so. Still have my pink license too as it's still valid :).

Your old licence is now invalid, the newly issued licence is the only valid licence you have. Toss the old one as soon as you get the card style licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

My licence expired on the 5th. Totally forgot about it. No appointments available till next week.

Can I drive when I book an appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes.

Book your appointment and bring the booking confirmation with you in case you are stopped.

You are fully covered by insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

OSI wrote: »
    You don't need to book btw. You can show up at anytime and join the queue. I arrived for 9am to my local one with no appointment and was out by 9:45.

I booked already

cena wrote: »
    I booked already

I booked for my time slot and while I was waiting I'd say less than 50% of the booked names where there. Try a walk in and if you manage cancel the booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Amouar

OSI wrote: »
    You don't need to book btw. You can show up at anytime and join the queue. I arrived for 9am to my local one with no appointment and was out by 9:45.

How long did it take you to receive your licence by post?

I was waiting a week and was surprised at the efficiency of the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pmcg1983

Hello, my driver license expires tomorrow and was going to try and get a walk-in appointment at the NDLS Centre in Mallow as the earlier appointment I can get online is the end of the month. Was wondering if anyone was able to let me know if walk-in appointments in Mallow have a long waiting time and if it's more busy in the morning or the afternoon? I can go first thing in the morning or at around 3 in the afternoon, going in the afternoon would suit me better but want to make sure I get seen if I go at that time. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Go in the morning-its exceptionally busy there. You may not be seen after 3pm, depending on how many are in the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

You can do it online now if you have enough details. You need to have a MyGovID and PSC card already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement