Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone NOT get a polling card?

Options
  • 25-05-2018 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

I didn't receive a polling card in my constituency. I have spoken to three other people who have not received one either!

I have got my voter number and polling booth on checktheregister.ie and coupled with my passport I hope I will be okay.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Minister wrote: »
    I didn't receive a polling card in my constituency. I have spoken to three other people who have not received one either!

I have got my voter number and polling booth on checktheregister.ie and coupled with my passport I hope I will be okay.

I didn't get one. No issue with Id presented

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Didn't get one either, just showed up with passport and had zero problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

you can have one of mine if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Jayzus Fergus........you know we can't vote anymore than three times!!!😉

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Didn't get mine either but just went to the polling station with my passport and was able to vote no problem.

On a side note I've heard of people who got more than one voting card! Weather true or not I cannot say as I did not see it for myself and do not know the source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It's fien you don't need to have a polling card to vote (though obviously makes it easier)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Minister wrote:
    Jayzus Fergus........you know we can't vote anymore than three times!!!😉

ah I only got two so I'm missing one polling card lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You don't nor have you ever needed a poling card.

The poling card is just to inform you where your polling station is and what I'd you need.

You can't vote with just a polling card but you can vote with just a driver license or passport

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

BuzzG wrote: »
    Didn't get mine either but just went to the polling station with my passport and was able to vote no problem.

On a side note I've heard of people who got more than one voting card! Weather true or not I cannot say as I did not see it for myself and do not know the source.

I got 2 last time out. 1 in my old address and 1 in the new. Moved again since so dunno how many are knocking about now.

• Advertisement

It was fine. I had moved from one part of town to the other and was only on register in old polling station. Showed passport.

Election over. Maybe mods can close. Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I could find myself on checktheregister using my details and trying my last three addresses. I contacted the cc, they checked and confirmed that I was not registered to vote. Toldthe wife and she find me on checktheregister in s couple of minutes using an eircode for one of my previous addresses. I only showed up if an eircode was used. Bit of a mess after the cc confirming I wasn't on the register.

A friend of mine had two unknown people's voting cards arrive at their address a week our two ago. Despite them being the only people to ever live at that address.

Funkfield wrote: »
    I could find myself on checktheregister using my details and trying my last three addresses. I contacted the cc, they checked and confirmed that I was not registered to vote. Toldthe wife and she find me on checktheregister in s couple of minutes using an eircode for one of my previous addresses. I only showed up if an eircode was used. Bit of a mess after the cc confirming I wasn't on the register.

A friend of mine had two unknown people's voting cards arrive at their address a week our two ago. Despite them being the only people to ever live at that address.

I was speaking with a person, yesterday evening, who had voted twice. Name on the register in two bordering constituencies. Just showed ID in one and a bill in the other. No polling card for either. Limerick and Tipperary areas.

Wouldn't it be very simple and prevent electoral fraud if everyone used their PPS card which was scanned against a national register. And before some cry
    'Big Brother' the state already can tell who voted and who didn't as your name is crossed off the register at the polling booth when you vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yalelaw93

Does this mean I can show up with my passport and vote? I'm not a citizen of Ireland, but through no fault of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Funkfield wrote: »

I was the opposite. My eircode didn't return any result, but my address showed that I was registered.

yalelaw93 wrote: »
    Does this mean I can show up with my passport and vote? I'm not a citizen of Ireland, but through no fault of my own.

If your name is on the electoral register, yes - or so it appears.

• Administrators Posts: 13,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Minister wrote: »
    If your name is on the electoral register, yes - or so it appears.

Not necessarily. A person's name could be on the register but they may not be entitled to vote on a referendum. Only Irish citizens are allowed vote on a referendum. So a person's name could be on the register but may have conditions attached to it.

A letter beside a name indicates the type of election they are allowed vote in.

Eg
    L - local election
    D - Dáil

Only people with no letters beside their name were allowed vote yesterday.

If a person has become an Irish citizen since registering to vote, they would need to contact their local council to update the register.

• Administrators Posts: 13,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

yalelaw93 wrote: »

No

Advertisement