Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handball alleys in Dublin?

• 06-10-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just relocated to Dublin for work commitments and i'm just wondering if anyone knows of any handball alleys on the southside of the city?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

This is a completely ignorant question but are handball alleys and squash courts analagous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭mbren

There are 2 types of handball alleys, namely 40 x 20 and 60 x 30.

Handball alleys are bigger than squash courts and unlike squash courts, you can hit the ball as low as you want on the wall and you can use the roof (in 40 x 20).

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Liathróid Láimhe Átha Cliath;

http://dublin.handball.gaa.ie/dublinalleys.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

There are only two 60x30's in Dublin both Northside - Croker and na Fianna.

Southside there is one operational 40x20 in UCD and a private one in Goatstown. After that not sure. Best place to get games and meet other players is Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

megadodge wrote: »
    There are only two 60x30's in Dublin both Northside - Croker and na Fianna.

Southside there is one operational 40x20 in UCD and a private one in Goatstown. After that not sure. Best place to get games and meet other players is Croker.

There are more than those according to the list I linked to above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Unless things have changed recently, the Garda Depot is no longer in use.

Not sure how many of the others are actually used regularly.
    My point still stands about going to Croker to get to know other handballers, join a club, enter comps, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

unfortunately the alley in goatstown is now gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deighric

I would like to find out more information about the handball alley that used to exist in Goatstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Deighric wrote: »
    I would like to find out more information about the handball alley that used to exist in Goatstown?

What I know about it is mostly hearsay, but here goes. Some lad who was huge into his handball built it pretty much on to the side of his house in the 50's/60's. When he passed on, his son, who had no interest in handball, kept it there as a memorial to his father, and allowed people to go in and play. Then at some stage in the late 2000's, the owner decided to sell the land, or just knock the alley, don't know which. It was a great place to play while it lasted, just needed change to keep the lights on from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Used to be outdoor alleys in Isles and Good Counsel. Probably long gone. Isles one was used as hurling wall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Grangegorman ones are gone too, my old spot

Stoner wrote: »
    Grangegorman ones are gone too, my old spot

Last time I saw open alley was opposite Gaelic Park in New York.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes I saw them there too, plus gangs playing it.

Stoner wrote: »
    Yes I saw them there too, plus gangs playing it.

It was weird sight indeed!

Okay New York story. Two boys were heading up to Gaelic Park and were mugged close to the ground. So they told people when they got there who caught the miscreants and took vengeance with hurls.

Irish NYPD officer who "treated" the muggers said they told him they had been attacked with people with giant wooden spoons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Last time I saw open alley was opposite Gaelic Park in New York.

Thats true - way more likely to see a handball alley in new York than in Dublin.

The only one I know of in the city is the one on Capel Street, which is an odd shape.

I remember playing in some boarding school close to Swords that had a load of outdoor courts when i was a kid, am guessing they are gone by now.

There are a rake of courts that would not be widely used by the public, for example Phibsboro fire station has one. O'Connells school has or had two, St Vincents also I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVmOPdgASc

This is a great video for anyone on how big handball is in New York.

In its glory days in Ireland, handball was always an outdoor sport; maybe the sport should go back that way, the outdoor game doesnt exist here anymore.

Capel Street! Never knew that. Where exactly? Older clubs often had one.

The New York thing is fascinating. Only one of our games that non Irish people took to,

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Capel Street! Never knew that. Where exactly? Older clubs often had one.

The New York thing is fascinating. Only one of our games that non Irish people took to,

If you look at the park at Green St, you can see it in the corner.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Capel+St,+Dublin/@53.3494754,-6.2718358,234m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670e82768e2dfd:0x25fd9534a5d082aa!8m2!3d53.3484666!4d-6.2687446

The other interesting thing on the NYC handball is that this guy Timbo Gonzalez seems to be the dominant player in the same way Brady is for Four Wall. And yet I dont believe they've ever played each other.

Maybe it just genuinely is too different; like when the Americans used to play Top Ace and get routinely hockeyed in the big court.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    If you look at the park at Green St, you can see it in the corner.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Capel+St,+Dublin/@53.3494754,-6.2718358,234m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670e82768e2dfd:0x25fd9534a5d082aa!8m2!3d53.3484666!4d-6.2687446

The other interesting thing on the NYC handball is that this guy Timbo Gonzalez seems to be the dominant player in the same way Brady is for Four Wall. And yet I dont believe they've ever played each other.

Maybe it just genuinely is too different; like when the Americans used to play Top Ace and get routinely hockeyed in the big court.

Watched them playing in the Bronx. Same scoring system but just the one wall. It would great international competition. Have vague memory that Irish players played against NY in 70s but like rest of my memory, probably wrong!

Sorry. Missed your reference to Top Ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deighric

What I know about it is mostly hearsay, but here goes. Some lad who was huge into his handball built it pretty much on to the side of his house in the 50's/60's. When he passed on, his son, who had no interest in handball, kept it there as a memorial to his father, and allowed people to go in and play. Then at some stage in the late 2000's, the owner decided to sell the land, or just knock the alley, don't know which. It was a great place to play while it lasted, just needed change to keep the lights on from what I remember

I heard yesterday that the private alley in Goatstown was owned by the Jenning's family. The builder of the alley lived on Foster's Avenue?, but the alley was in Goatstown. The alley was knocked to build a house, Celtic Tiger etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement