Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Low histamine Red Wine

• 22-05-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi All
    im hoping someone in here can help. Im looking for a low histamine red wine, it seems to be so hard to find, ive found one type from italy but i have to buy it from the UK, its working out expensive.

I know it seems very odd, but with the pollen at the moment my boyfriend is finding it very difficult to even have a few glasses of red wine without coming out in an awful rash, this is down to the histamine levels in his body.

Red wine is really the only drink he drinks, failing this, i will have to try a Rose, so if anyone can recommend a rose thats not as sweet as they generally are that would also be great.

any help would be greatly appreciated ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't know anything about low histamine wines I'm afraid. Would it be worth trying a 'natural' wine, which I assume means it is low in sulphites? OBriens or any independent wine off licence should stock some e.g. the Vermell 201 from Valencia is a red getting good reviews and is pitched as a 'natural' wine.
    Some people are sensitive to sulphites.

Also, I read that for sulphites at least, aerating the wine can help - so decant it or pour it into a carafe, or if you have two decanters, pour into one and then into the other. Charity shops usually have a good selection of decanters.

Roses from Provence should be dry rather than sweet. Also a rose made from pinot noir might appeal to a red wine lover.
    Avoid any Roses described as blush or based on Zinfandel and check if the label has a dry-sweet scale and only buy 1s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Hi All
    im hoping someone in here can help. Im looking for a low histamine red wine, it seems to be so hard to find, ive found one type from italy but i have to buy it from the UK, its working out expensive.

I know it seems very odd, but with the pollen at the moment my boyfriend is finding it very difficult to even have a few glasses of red wine without coming out in an awful rash, this is down to the histamine levels in his body.

Red wine is really the only drink he drinks, failing this, i will have to try a Rose, so if anyone can recommend a rose thats not as sweet as they generally are that would also be great.

any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

I have histomine intolerance and red wine is often a trigger. However, some wines I have no problems with at all, so it might be just a case of trial and error.

I read an article recently that said gin has the lowest histamines of alcoholic drinks so maybe he could swap the wine for a G&T?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have heard of people who take an anti histamine before drinking red wine . If its only occasionally then that would be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A quick google suggests Dolcetta from Italy as a red low in histamines. I've had this one from O'Briens and it's a nice one.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/ascheri-dolcetto-d-alba-st-roc.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I read an article recently that said gin has the lowest histamines of alcoholic drinks so maybe he could swap the wine for a G&T?

I think the gin industry were being a bit economical there. Distilled drinks apparently have less histamine enablers than a purely fermented drink like beer or wine. So vodka, rum etc would all be as good as gin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about low histamine wines I'm afraid. Would it be worth trying a 'natural' wine, which I assume means it is low in sulphites? OBriens or any independent wine off licence should stock some e.g. the Vermell 201 from Valencia is a red getting good reviews and is pitched as a 'natural' wine.
    Some people are sensitive to sulphites.

Roses from Provence should be dry rather than sweet. Also a rose made from pinot noir might appeal to a red wine lover.
    Avoid any Roses described as blush or based on Zinfandel and check if the label has a dry-sweet scale and only buy 1s.

thanks a mill for this. i know nothing about rose, i might get him this at the weekend and try it, i was looking at one from provence the other evening.

With the sulfates, i actually got him the ULLO, its great for the sulfates and helps a hangover but unfortunately its not working for the histamine.
    There is another teabag style spoon i can get for the histamine in red wine but its very expensive if your having a bottle of it.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A quick google suggests Dolcetta from Italy as a red low in histamines. I've had this one from O'Briens and it's a nice one.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/ascheri-dolcetto-d-alba-st-roc.html

Perfect thanks for this, i couldnt find this particular brand in ireland, i obviously hadnt searched very well

I have histomine intolerance and red wine is often a trigger. However, some wines I have no problems with at all, so it might be just a case of trial and error.

Hi Denartha, im basically treating this as if he has a histamine intolerance as its flaring up so badly, would you be able to tell me what wines your currently drinking that you seem to be ok with?

Advertisement