Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No referendum poling card

Options
  • 21-05-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I registered to be in the supplemental registry for the upcoming referendum. I received no confirmation from the city council & I noticed that checktheregister.ie stilled showed me as local only, so I called the city council on the closing date regarding being able to vote in this referendum. They said I was "on the register". Oddly though I have not received a poling card but my wife has.

I'm thinking now the person I spoke to May have taken a quick look and didn't notice if it said local or full next to my name. Or maybe I'm reading to much into this. Has anyone else had experience with not receiving a poling card?

Comments

You don't need a polling card to vote. If you are on the register and have a valid ID, you can still vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

My polling station is in another county away, several hours drive and I won't be able to get there on the day due to a wedding I'll be attending. Is it possible to vote locally if I have my card?

I think I know its a "nooooo", but really want to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

My polling station is in another county away, several hours drive and I won't be able to get there on the day due to a wedding I'll be attending. Is it possible to vote locally if I have my card?

I think I know its a "nooooo", but really want to vote

Your name will be present on the Register of Voters for your registered polling station only.

You won't be able to drop into the nearest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I knew that'd be the reply.... but was hoping it wasn't so! :)
    Surely this is something that should be looked at sometime for national referendums. Fair enough for local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any chance you could go home the night before the wedding, vote first thing in the morning and then drive to the wedding?

Seems to me to be quite typical for polling cards to come out all over the place. In-laws always seem to get them two weeks before a vote, ours always seem to arrive two days before it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I just got my polling card today so they're still sending then out

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

I’m on the supplementary register and I was told they wouldn’t be issuing polling cards until today.

Check the register has been updated to include the supplementary register so you should be able to check if your registered at your new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

havent received mine. I applied for address to be changed back at end april. I still see me registered at the old address :(

How is this so difficult to do.

So I got a letter yesterday from the local authority. This letter told me that "Entry on the supplement to the register due to change of address is only possible if the person concerned has moved to a different county electoral area or constituency"

like WTF -so there is a form for change of address (RFA 3)... which says:

NOTES TO FORM RFA 3
    Application for inclusion in the Supplement to the Register of Electors
    - Change of Address
    1. The purpose of this form is to facilitate voters who are on the register of
    electors but have moved to a new address, either within the same
    registration area or to a new registration area
    , and wish to be included in the
    supplement to the register of electors so that they can vote at elections or
    referendums, as appropriate, on the basis of their new residency

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Be interesting to find out how they process them. There's probably just a single entity with responsibility for printing and posting them all.

But if they apply any kind of order to them, there's a potential to tilt the balance. For example, if they batch them by area, then some areas will get their cards first, and some areas won't get their cards at all. If they order them by (say) PPSN, then older people will get their cards first, with younger people more likely to not receive them at all.

And if people don't receive cards, they may think they can't vote and won't bother going to the polling station.

One would hope that this has been thought of though, and they're batched into streets or something and then batches printed and posted at random.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

Ya we filled in the change of address form a month ago and when we didn't get our polling cards last week I emailed SDCC to check if they received them.

They replied straight away saying we were registered at our new address and the polling cards would be issued this week. However if we didn't get them we can still vote with just ID. He told me the polling station aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Aphelion

Daxve wrote: »
    I’m on the supplementary register and I was told they wouldn’t be issuing polling cards until today.

Check the register has been updated to include the supplementary register so you should be able to check if your registered at your new address.

I didn't realize that the supplementary cards come later than the standard register cards, that's good to hear & makes sense. thanks.

I'm still not updated on check the register, but I hear from co-workers that this isn't updated or not reliably updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are most likely on the register to vote. Polling cards don't always arrive & aren't needed. Bring id. Passport, driving licence etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aphelion

.. and my card arrived in the mail today. It figures that it finally comes on the day I post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

It looks like Check The Register has been updated with the supplemental list too. Don't know if it's for all areas, but I was able to find my supplementary list record in Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

when using checktheregister.ie, put eircode, not the street. It doesn't work for me when I put the latter

Advertisement