Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland v Italy Chicago November 3rd

• 06-05-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Is this match confirmed yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

MRG77 wrote: »
    Is this match confirmed yet?

No confirmation from what I've seen. Awaiting impatiently!

I hope not.

Venjur wrote: »
    I hope not.

Feck off. :)

The schedule in Dublin was NZ in Match 2 of 3 right? Then it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭agoodusername

Doesn't sound worth it with NZ shortly after.
    Then again I doubt that it will be even close to a full strength 23

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If it does go ahead it will probably be a team like the one that played Fiji last November, could be a bit of a non-spectical and would be a poor decision by Irish Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If it does go ahead it will probably be a team like the one that played Fiji last November, could be a bit of a non-spectical and would be a poor decision by Irish Rugby.

Whatever about the spectacle, it's an extra fixture to give fringe players gametime 10 months out from a world cup, and brings in extra revenue for IRFU. What's not to like?

New Zealand would have said the same about us, not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Zzippy wrote: »
    Whatever about the spectacle, it's an extra fixture to give fringe players gametime 10 months out from a world cup, and brings in extra revenue for IRFU. What's not to like?
    So do you split the squad then and take half to Chicago for a week leaving a starting 15 at home? Not great great preparation for Argentina.

It also doesn't make sense for Italy as they have a huge game against Georgia the week after that given the current forms of each team, Italy can't afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

Just to answer my own question, I see that this match has now been confirmed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

When was the last time we played a 5/6N team in November?

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    When was the last time we played a 5/6N team in November?

The foot and mouth year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The foot and mouth year?

Was that not September and October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I live in the states and I still can't be bothered, Italy?!? Like we either hammer them and it's fine but means nothing or we lose and the coach needs to be sacked, what's the point?!

Jaysus, was it that hard for us to get a game in the 90s

Was that not September and October?

It was indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Checked with the gang which done the last trip....not a single bit of interest.....

I would guess Ireland will need to play the first team. This has to be a money gig or why bother? Supporters in US hardly going to show up for a game with Ireland B out.....

I doubt anywhere near the crowd that was at the All Black match. I still might check prices, might be a bit of a laugh

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Checked with the gang which done the last trip....not a single bit of interest.....

I would guess Ireland will need to play the first team. This has to be a money gig or why bother? Supporters in US hardly going to show up for a game with Ireland B out.....

I doubt anywhere near the crowd that was at the All Black match. I still might check prices, might be a bit of a laugh

Chicago has a large Italian population also though no?

No idea, I was hammered drunk the entire trip :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

They'll get some of the Irish in the states going to it but nothing like the New Zealand game.
    Pretty poor game to take "on tour".
    For comparison, I've been to Ireland vs USA games over here and they were nowhere as big as the New Zealand game in terms of interest.
    A game against Italy will have very lukewarm interest.

• Advertisement

Do Americans know to be honest? They hardly knew anything about the Ireland NZ match.....

The only thing I heard was a few people saying Ireland had won the World Series the day after game when the place was full of green

Will they realise Italy are muck and just go because It’s Italy and Ireland for expats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was at the Ireland - USA game in New Jersey last year, perfect sized stadium for a game like this. Though there were plenty Welsh, Scottish and English that went along to it too.
    Soldier Field is a massive ask.

I'll probably go if I can, if flights are relatively reasonable I could definitely be persuaded as I don't need a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's a lot of my mates going. I may go with my son. It won't sell out though, cos everyone knows the AB's and Italy and ourselves are not as well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would have very little interest in rugby though, if it was soccer it'd be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ursa actos

Was at the Ireland - All Blacks game there, was epic, would prefer better opposition but have tickets bought for this. If nothing else it'll be a chance to see some up & coming Irish players, and Sergio Parisse if he's still playing. I live in the midwest so a weekend in Chicago watching three games with the FIL will be fun. USA vs Maori All Blacks might even be a better game.

ursa actos wrote: »
    Was at the Ireland - All Blacks game there, was epic, would prefer better opposition but have tickets bought for this. If nothing else it'll be a chance to see some up & coming Irish players, and Sergio Parisse if he's still playing. I live in the midwest so a weekend in Chicago watching three games with the FIL will be fun. USA vs Maori All Blacks might even be a better game.

Is that match on again? I hope they didnt shove it out to Toyota Park again?

That was some trip to get in & out of the place....only we got a friendly taxi man to drop out and then he came back out to collect we might still be out their.....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

That was some trip to get in & out of the place....only we got a friendly taxi man to drop out and then he came back out to collect we might still be out their.....

NZ vs USA (women), Ireland vs Italy and NZ Maori vs USA is all on the one day in Solider Field, one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ursa actos

Yup, as Zambrotta said, it's a triple-header, all three games in Soldier Field. If the weather is as nice as last time it'll be expensive with what the charge for beer at the stadium.
    12 p.m.: USA Eagles (Women’s team) vs. Black Ferns
    3 p.m.: Ireland vs. Italy
    5:15 p.m.: USA Eagles (Men’s team) vs. Maori All Blacks

• Advertisement

Yup, as Zambrotta said, it's a triple-header, all three games in Soldier Field. If the weather is as nice as last time it'll be expensive with what the charge for beer at the stadium.
    12 p.m.: USA Eagles (Women’s team) vs. Black Ferns
    3 p.m.: Ireland vs. Italy
    5:15 p.m.: USA Eagles (Men’s team) vs. Maori All Blacks

3 games in one day in same stadium....actually a little bit more interested now....

The beer everywhere in chicago was expensive, we seemed to be paying over 10 doller per beer....not sure if they seen the tourist and upped the price :p or if that is normal

Advertisement