Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do the same cars keep appearing on DD?

• 13-05-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

I may be wrong on this one, but at the moment there seems to be a nice few classics on DD Facebook etc for sale that were advertised also by a different seller within the last 6 months to a year. Do people get fed up of them etc? Also some of them have shot up in valve with the change of owner! I.e I saw a car about three months ago advertised for €2000 , now it's €3500!. A lot of people check DD every day and notice these things, especially if they are interested in particular models! Maybe it's just commerce, but a comment was made to me by a guy who was thinking about getting his first classic, and did not want to over pay for a car, and asking why does some of these suddenly almost double in valve, all this was putting him off getting a classic......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If you want to get a classic car at a decent price go to an auction in the UK.
    It's like the Wild West in Ireland.
    There's one car at the moment on DD for €10000, it was bought at auction in the UK in February for £3500, I could throw up a link to both now but to be honest I wouldn't do it to the seller, the best of luck to him, someone will beat him down to 8000 and think they got the bargain of a lifetime.
    There's all sorts of shenanigans going on, you have to have your wits about you:).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

hi5 wrote: »
    There's one car at the moment on DD for €10000, it was bought at auction in the UK in February for £3500, I could throw up a link to both now but to be honest I wouldn't do it to the seller, the best of luck to him, someone will beat him down to 8000 and think they got the bargain of a lifetime.
    There's all sorts of shenanigans going on, you have to have your wits about you:).

I think DD is a hit and miss affair, where the novice can get scalped.
    And the expert if he is not careful.
    Which are the best UK based auction houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not just in classics but there are quite a few lads sitting on DD and snapping up anything that comes up on the cheaper side.
    They flip these straight back up with a hefty wedge added for their trouble.

Happens with cattle over in the farming section, these lads ring you up offering you half the value “cash today if your stuck”.

I like selling on DD, but you have to accept there are allot of chancers and charlatans using it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

hi5 wrote: »

Auctions for cars can be very hit or miss, even more so with classic cars. Definitely need have your homework done regarding prices, and know how to examine & appraise a car otherwise it’s highly recommended to bring a mechanic etc with you...

Can be a minefield....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,752 ✭✭✭✭unkel

With normal cars you can look for other same make / model / year cars on DoneDeal and you get a good idea of what a car is worth

The market for classic cars is much smaller, there often aren't a lot of other cars to compare them too. Think of it from the sellers point of view too. What price would you need to put your car up for, so that it is neither too cheap, nor too expensive?

A lot of chancers bringing in dodgy cars from the UK, that they either know will fail the NCT and try to sell them here for over the odds though. And unlucky people bringing the car over, having it tested but realising it's going to cost too much to get the car past the test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement