Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire with Jeremy Clarkson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I did enjoy it. Clarkson taking the piss out the contestants was fairly harmless

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think this lot were way too hasty . Jumping at answers

I agree, especially the Nike question. He didn't seem to have any clue as to why he thought Umbro was the correct answer, and didn't go through the others in any meaningful way.

I knew it was Nike as soon as the question was asked before the options came up, thought it was pretty easy to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought that was very entertaining to be fair. Some of those early questions were far too difficult or maybe I'm just getting dumber.

Clarkson did well I thought. I like that he was taking the piss out of the contestants and not just aping Chris Tarrant's style of presenting.
    This isn't who wants a loft conversion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

No. It’s pre recorded just like the original ones were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Alun wrote: »
    I agree, especially the Nike question. He didn't seem to have any clue as to why he thought Umbro was the correct answer, and didn't go through the others in any meaningful way.

I knew it was Nike as soon as the question was asked before the options came up, thought it was pretty easy to be honest.

"Remember, the answers are only easy if you know them"
    Chris Tarrant (ad nauseum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Ah in fairness guys it's far easier do it at home from the comfort of your couch. Studio lights, cameras etc can have a major effect on your nerves

As Heidi said they are only easy when you know them. It's amazing the amount of pre £1000 questions even ultimate big winners struggle with early on
    That’s fair enough, just one thing springs to mind though.

That army officer who cheated with the assistance of coughing from the crowd? If they were suspicious of it why was it broadcast? It was around 2001 I think

It wasn't broadcast

Just over 5m viewers acc to Twitter

Not bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I was only 8 at the time so can't remember too much, just the aftermath of it all.Thanks for the clarification :)

No they knew straight away after filming something was very amiss so decided to do a hastily put together 2 hour (?) Special instead which merged two recordings but left out the major's run. Of course viewers just had to pretend they couldn't see confetti all over the floor all of a sudden

It didn't garner much news coverage simply as it occured around the 11th September 01 so plenty didnt actually know what was going on when they just randomly did an extended episode

I thoroughly enjoyed last night and I thought Clarkson was perfect. Lots of little quips and jibes which I suppose you either love or hate. For the first fastest finger first he goes "Now nice and quiet everyone, no coughing".

My only criticism was slow and stupid contestants. Yorkshire man really took his time and took half an hour to get to 8k. Another contestant got a question on diesel engines and used a 50/50. We were both shouting at the TV that that's a perfect ask the host question.

People are saying Clarkson was being a prick. Well a, thars his style love it or hate it and b, some of those contestants deserved to have the pis$ taken out of them.

Lets not forget Tarrant was well able to slag off contestants too, albeit more subtle. I think Clarkson is bringing some well needed light relief to the show. Look how much of a positive reception the pantomime villain chasers get. Clarkson is saying exactly what most of the viewers are saying and it's great :D

Whatever about Tarrant , Gay Byrne bet all "now give the audience a round of applause please " :rolleyes:

I wonder what the demographic of the audience for the new series is? The lesser phone a friend options available and an audience not as clued in as previously could seriously diminish two of the lifelines.

That ask the audience question didnt even generate 80% for the right answer iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Really enjoyed this. Will prob watch tonight’s too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Watched it last night, really enjoyed it - loved JC presenting it , you need deadpan presenter - love the taking the pee "do you want me to ask the question in a Northern Accent - would that help?" and looking at his watch and saying "I know its bank holiday weekend but people still have to go to work on Tuesday!" when the contestant was deliberating.

Still to get my head around the 'set your own safety net' part, my lad keeps trying to explain it to me but I still cant quite grasp it.

Wish they would have done 500 as first answer and 1,000 next.

That wast a strange question the one about about intestine.

I am undecided about ask the host lifeline thing.

Like JC presenting it as I say ... but I cannot watch Clarkeson now without thinking of this great sketch by harry n paul back in the day:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Still to get my head around the 'set your own safety net' part, my lad keeps trying to explain it to me but I still cant quite grasp it.
    Not much to it really.

Before you get asked any of the questions over £1000, you have the opportunity, and can only do it once - to set your own safety net. This means if you get that question right - you can continue onwards and if you get any question from then onwards wrong, you'll ALWAYS revert back to that.

It's essentially gives the contestant the opportunity to set what was the £32,000 marker in the game back in the day..but it can be anywhere after £1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched it last night and aside from the poor contestants, it was very enjoyable and Clarkson did very well.

Tonight is off to a good start too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FFS how did he not know that..

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Surprised by how decent this is. As you say the first chap tonight seems to enjoy giving his two cent. Still perfectly watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Tonights must be live if he seen last night or filmed today...

The Great wave whaaaaa?

Great contestant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Kuva wrote: »
    Great contestant

I am rooting for him !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Clarkson is pretty good when he parks the snide comments about people's knowledge. That was my only issue with last night.

This lad is a good contestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I wish Clarkeson would say "you have just won 8 thousand pound!!" - but he dont, he just says "8 thousand pound" as though he is bored or that 8 thousand pound is 1 pound 50 ....

circular lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Good fun tonight :)

Advertisement