Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I;ve heard its going to be an Avoca cafe.

It looks like something of that nature, various adjustments to the current structure, submitted by a Geoff Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Mumha wrote: »
    It looks like something of that nature, various adjustments to the current structure, submitted by a Geoff Murphy.

Looks like it's Soundstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blindsider

Had Soundstore confirmed to me today. Good source and no reason to doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

The planning application is from Soundstore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Rfrip

blindsider wrote: »
    Had Soundstore confirmed to me today. Good source and no reason to doubt it.

Ah I was looking forward to going in for a nose around avoca on a Sunday afternoon and not buy a single thing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

snotboogie wrote: »

That render looks an awful lot like the old Atlantic Quarter Howard Holdings proposal from way back, with 3 towers at the North East end. I'd guess it's just a stock image they found?

Another article here. Not sure which sites they're referring to, one on the North quays (I assume they're not referring to Horgan's Quay, as it's hardly news) and one by the bus station (could be one of several sites, across the street to the East has been on the cards for some time, or the triangular site to the south-east, or the site immediately to the south whose building was demolished a few years back).

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I am assuming that the reference to the north docks is in fact the Horgan's quay site. Although this already has planning permission, there was never any confirmation of uptake of the office element. I understand that the hotel has an operator, that the developer is of the view that the residential element is viable if constructed immediately. There is 400,000 square feet of office space, which is enormous, and I am assuming there would be an announcement of some prelet on this. This would be fantastic development.

I would say that the other project 'near the bus station' is the anderson's quay site owned by ocallaghan properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭snotboogie

mire wrote: »
    I am assuming that the reference to the north docks is in fact the Horgan's quay site. Although this already has planning permission, there was never any confirmation of uptake of the office element. I understand that the hotel has an operator, that the developer is of the view that the residential element is viable if constructed immediately. There is 400,000 square feet of office space, which is enormous, and I am assuming there would be an announcement of some prelet on this. This would be fantastic development.

Isn't the rumor that they want to make it into some international shipping hub? BTW I don't think they ever announce the uptake of office space before the build. Johnson Controls were announced just before One Albert Quay finished and the bank going into Navigation Square were only announced a few weeks ago. I don't think there has been any announcement for the build on South Mall.

who_me wrote: »
    That render looks an awful lot like the old Atlantic Quarter Howard Holdings proposal from way back, with 3 towers at the North East end. I'd guess it's just a stock image they found?

It is. They used it because it's the same site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Anyone know what's actually going on with Marina Park? The entire place has been boarded up since Pairc Ui Caoimh re-opened and it looks like nothing has changed since last Summer. Is the park actually going ahead or what? It'd be nice to have a big park within walking distance of my house instead of going all the way across the city to Fitzgerald's Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

AFAIK, the site has been cleared of debris from the Pairc build for some weeks.

I've not seen many trucks/diggers/people in there for some time, nor have I seen the gates, by the junction connecting Monaghan Road and the centre park road open either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

Have a bit of a vested interest here given I live fairly close by :)

Shandon area gets €400,000 enhancement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see with regarding trinity quarter etc they need tenants confirmed before finance is available to actually develop these sites.

opus wrote: »
    Have a bit of a vested interest here given I live fairly close by :)

Shandon area gets €400,000 enhancement

I love that whole area, some fantastic laneways around the butter museum / Firkin Crane / St. Anne's. To me it has massive potential for a tourist trap. It might be a bit too residential for significant changes (cafes/restaurants/shops etc.)

who_me wrote: »
    I love that whole area, some fantastic laneways around the butter museum / Firkin Crane / St. Anne's. To me it has massive potential for a tourist trap. It might be a bit too residential for significant changes (cafes/restaurants/shops etc.)

The one cafe that was there just behind the Firkin Crane now looks to be a glass/ceramic workshop of some kind. I really must try the 4 Liars bistro at some stage to see what it's like.

May update

Under Construction 

Navigation Square: Four building office development on the former Navigation House site on Albert Quay. 310,000 sq ft of office space for up to 3000 employees. First phase to be completed Feb 19'

89-90 South Mall: 50,000 sq ft office, 5 storey office building.To be completed in December 18'

Dalata Hotel South Mall: Six storey hotel, 165 beds. To be completed in December 18'

Student Accommodation: Western Road accomodation is nearly completed and the Beamish site has just erected a tower crane. 

Marina Park: Under construction with first phase to open in Q1 2019.

Industrial projects:  Johnson & Johnson (biggest construction project in Cork), MSD, Eli Lilly (all above 100 million).

Hospital: Major hospital projects under construction at Bons Secour, Lee Rd and CUH

Planning/Appealed

Horgan's Quay: Office Space for 5,000 employees, 200 apartments, 136 bed hotel and 3000 sq metres of restaurants and retail. Got planning permission in March but it was appealed by Port of Cork. Appeal withdrawn in April. Construction on the Hotel will hopefully begin in this summer with the office and apartments commencing in 2019.

Sullivan's Quay: 6 storey Office & 193 bed, 12 storey, 4 star Hotel. Planning granted and immediately appealed. Given that demolition is nearly complete I'd expect this to go into construction as soon as planning is granted. Potential hold up over the height of the hotel, at 47 metres, it is set to make the top 20 tallest buildings in the state if completed. An Taisce not happy. Final planning decision due the middle of May.

Former Victoria Hotel: Knocking much of the Victoria and rebuilding to the back and refurbishing the original historic front/facade and to integrate the two sections into a new high order retail unit, of 25,000 sq ft, over four floors. Rumoured to be taken over by Zara. Planning granted in Feb, appealed with a decision due soon.

Metropole Redevelopment: €50m redevelopment of the Metropole Hotel to include a new five-storey boutique hotel on Patrick's Quay. Planning granted with amendments in March. Appealed and granted permission in April. No date for work to start. 

MacCurtain Street/York Street Hotel: 8 floor 73 bed hotel. Planning granted in March, appealed soon after and withdrawn at the end of April. Construction to start before the end of the year.

Wilton Shopping Centre: €100 million revamp proposed. Mistake made in planning permission. In the process of resubmitting. 

Civil Eng: Dunkettle to commence shortly. M28 decision pushed back indefinitely. M20 pre planning just starting.

Student accommodation: Crows Nest has planning and should start soon, Square Deal is facing appeals

In Limbo

Event Centre: 6000 all seater multi purpose event centre with a tourist brewery experience. Arguably the most controversial construction project in the history of the city. After a bleak 6 months at the back end of 2017 there have been two instances of positive murmurs from the Government and BAM in January 2018 and April 2018. Construction allegedly to start in Q4 2018 but there are still conflicting and contradictory statements from all parties involved. Most would be shocked to see this start in 2018. 

Tramore Valley Park: Despite being mostly completed years ago the park remains in limbo with regard to an opening date.

Ikea: Announced as a certainty for Carrigtwohill by The Examiner late last year. Ikea themselves poured some water over it a few months later but confirmed they are looking for a site in Cork. Nothing since.

Anderson Quay/Camden Quay/Trinity Quarter: All have had planning for years with no work on site. Camden Quay allegedly had some work going on last week but I'd be shocked if it was related to the actual construction. I can't see any of these sites being developed as per their current proposals.

Student Accommodation: Coca-Cola site on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened? O’Riordans Joinery, Gillen House on Farranlea Road, Model Farm Road/Melbourne Road and Copely Street are all at various stages of planning and/or limbo.

Concept/Pre Planning 

Docklands Tower: 40 storey mixed use tower with the redevelopment of the existing customs house warehouses into cultural, tourist and retail space. By a mile the most ambitious development in Ireland. Announced over one year ago and no sign of a planning permission application yet, allegedly waiting for the Docklands development plan this summer to rezone heights for the site. If we don't see a planning application by the end of the year I'd be worried.  

Ford Distribution Depot: Put on sale last week. Former site of the extremely ambitious Atlantic Quarter. Major development opportunity. Rumored to be a residential development with over 1,000 apartments.

The Prism: This is believed to be an office development on the triangle site on Clontarf Street which was for sale last year. A 15-17 storey building is believed to be proposed on the site.

North Docklands site: Vague references in the Evening Echo about a major development here. Speculation ranges from the Echo re plugging Horgans quay to an absolutely mammoth office development in the area bounded by Penrose quay, Railway street, Alfred street and Brian Boru street.

Transportation: North Ring Road got a few vague mentions in the Ireland 2040 plans. A cork light rail and/or BRT system got similarly vague mentions but its rumoured something more concrete will be announced at the end of the summer. Bus connects was allocated 300 million in funding in the 2040 plan. The Eastern Gateway Bridge remains a concept

I've a vested interested in Tramore Valley park cause of involvement in the parkrun there & the council have told me it's opening this year which I tend to believe.

However a cynic might say they've been saying this for the past few years as well & couldn't offer much argument :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭ofcork

The demolition was done on Camden quay behind the old mckenzies façade surely construction is next on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The Prism development is from the same guys that want to build the 40 story tower.

Website launching soon: https://theprismbuilding.com/

Also mentioned on their Times Square Holdings website. Not sure if this is good or bad for the 40 story tower, especially with it being so close.

Great thread & updates btw OP.

snotboogie wrote: »
    The Prism: This is believed to be an office development on the triangle site on Clontarf Street which was for sale last year. A 15-17 storey building is believed to be proposed on the site.

Interesting.. I hadn't heard anything about this, though found some references across on skyscrapercity.com.

There's only one small image of the building - to be honest there was a much better plan for that site going back a few years. A tall, slender, wavy design, that got lost/destroyed in the netherworld that is our planning system. ;) Great little location though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Will city council go for so much high rise?
    Eleysian tower was a small part of a large development, the same with the proposed port of Cork Tower (plus the river and wide quays),
    A few landmark towers is very different to filling the sites small sites with towers...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Eleysian tower was a small part of a large development, the same with the proposed port of Cork Tower (plus the river and wide quays),
    A few landmark towers is very different to filling the sites small sites with towers...
    Going from what they have said the City Council have been hugely in favour of building up, "a city rising" has been their motto for the last few years. National Government also seems to be behind it, with Coveney repeatedly backing high rise around the docklands. That's not to say that there won't be a considerable number of powerful local interests who will be against these developments. It's amazing how sustained pressure from determined interest groups with a media presence can get local and national politicians to do a complete 180 on their positions, see the M28 and Patricks Street car ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Or will this end up with sites being sold with planning... Continuously being flipped... With a potential value... But neither the tenants to occupy all of them or the builders to build them... Just engineers/ architects to propose planning and auctioneers to hype up their potential, and "funds" to flip them every 5 to 7 years ( which is probably safer than actually building anyway)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

City Council have come out numerous times in favour of high rise, and you can be sure these Times Square lads wouldnt have bothered going so far without knowing the CC were on board. The amount of work and money it takes to get to submitting planning is incredible, something people often forget.
    Or will this end up with sites being sold with planning... Continuously being flipped... With a potential value... But neither the tenants to occupy all of them or the builders to build them... Just engineers/ architects to propose planning and auctioneers to hype up their potential, and "funds" to flip them every 5 to 7 years ( which is probably safer than actually building anyway)

Always a worry in a city the size of Cork but it cant stop the show. If we were to get another 3/4 towers out of this bubble then we'd be doing very well. Theres seems to be a will, and Id love to see a situation where Cork will be like the Rotterdam of Ireland and let Dublin have their Georgian core.

opus wrote: »

The only image I've seen of the proposal is below. The buildings to the South and West are about 5-7 stories, so it should be quite a deal taller than them.

Clontarf-map.jpg?resize=1024%2C573&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I've noticed that the former C.C.Y.M.S. (Cork Catholic Young Mens' Society Hall) building on Castle Street in Cork City Centre is now up for sale once more although; existing tenants running businesses at ground floor level will be unaffected by the sale. I understand that it had previously been bought by a developer who got into financial difficulties during the economic downturn which meant everything was put on hold during the past 10 years or so. Much of the space in the building in recent decades used operate mainly as a scout hall for the middle parish and was home to all of the original troops (4th/34th/37th/42nd Cork) that were once attached to the St. Peter & Paul's Scout Unit following their earlier transfer from Brown Street back in the early 1970's. Incidentally, the original scout hall situated on Brown Street was one of a number of buildings lost as the street would eventually make way for the Paul Street Shopping Centre & Multi-Storey Car Park which opened during the 1980s.

The C.C.Y.M.S in Cork City was the original home of the Everyman Playhouse Theatre too before it was transferred to the Father Matthew Hall on Fr. Matthew Street which hosts the annual Feis Maitiú competitions. The C.C.Y.M.S. was home to various clubs & societies and also provided a snooker/pool room, a chess club and I think it was also a city centre venue for Unislim at one stage. It will be very interesting to see what becomes of the former C.C.Y.M.S. Hall as it is a large building at the junction of Castle Street & South Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Anyone recall the former Philips TV Service distribution depot once situated on Coal Quay/Kyrl's Quay near the Bridewell Garda Station. The site was derelict for a number of years before the disused buildings were demolished. Before the economic downturn there was once an ambitious plan for that site too. Just wondered if any new proposals have risen from the ashes given the number of developments currently in the pipeline. There has been a lot of investment on nearby Cornmarket Street in the past 10-15years and one must wonder if investors have any plans to acquire property in the area.

The former Philips TV Depot site (previous premises used by M.F. Services Ltd.) was near the Multi-Story Car Park associated with the North Main Street Shopping Centre which exits Kyrl's Quay so; maybe one thing will lead to another if that property undergoes major change following Dunnes Stores decision to vacate it a while back.

Huge tower crane up for the student apartments on the Beamish site with what looks like another being constructed. 
    https://twitter.com/AlanHealy/status/991970798889029632

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was in the city yesterday, its the most cranes I have seen around for a long while. Great to see!

Advertisement