Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milk tanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have learnt to have clear drums for the detergent going to the tank, then you can see how much is in them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Nice. What make?

Dairymaster

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calfscour

DO NOT BUY A DAIRYMASTER TANK

I put one in new in 13 and have had nothing but trouble service man here every week.

I'm changing it now and most companies won't even trade it because of the trouble they are giving. This is no joke.

Can hardly give the ****ing heap of dung away. A bag of sediment left in it after every wash have to go in with the hose after every collection.

Dairymaster in Kerry are aware of it but don't give a ****e they pass the blame onto me every time. They'll take your money and then your on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

It too level? Would you not jack up the back a good inch or 2 and see if that makes it run out? Can you not adjust the wash cycle settings to make it rince out for longer at the end?

Finally whereas it's a pain having to hose out after each milking, I'd stomach having to still do this rather than have to change the tank. Rig up a tap and hose pipe to make the job slightly easier for yourself. (and no I'm certainly not trying to defend DM, personally I avoid them also, just trying to offer solutions)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Have a dairycool, no problems first 5 years. But lately maybe 1 or 2 call outs per annum. Find their guys are slow to call out as their doing West f alia robots and normal parlours last 2 years. Not a bad tank but wish I'd gone pack for a few more k

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Have a dairycool, no problems first 5 years. But lately maybe 1 or 2 call outs per annum. Find their guys are slow to call out as their doing West f alia robots and normal parlours last 2 years. Not a bad tank but wish I'd gone pack for a few more k
    I think they are all good but there's an odd bad one, I have a packo, milk collected daily , so wash etc used more, I have had problems but have cover. Giving problems again at the minute, where tank isnt emptying during wash, some sensor or other . New circuit board in my one and numerous sensors, only 3 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Have a liscarol here works away grand. It's my second one so will stay with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairymaster here, no issues so far touch wood. 're the sediment have they tried adjusting the water volume used, other settings etc? sediment should be sorted, who has the service contract? Lads that have ours here put in the tank all dairymaster did was deliver it. Using avalksan in wash and that can block the feed lines a bit alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Calfscour wrote: »
    DO NOT BUY A DAIRYMASTER TANK

I put one in new in 13 and have had nothing but trouble service man here every week.

I'm changing it now and most companies won't even trade it because of the trouble they are giving. This is no joke.

Can hardly give the ****ing heap of dung away. A bag of sediment left in it after every wash have to go in with the hose after every collection.

Dairymaster in Kerry are aware of it but don't give a ****e they pass the blame onto me every time. They'll take your money and then your on your own.
    When you say sediment what do you mean? Sediment would be your own problem as water quality would be the issue. I have a Dairymaster tank since 2014 and very happy with it. They do have some water fittings over the dosing pumps though which was a bad design, any drip causes rust on pumps. They might have reconfigured that by now. Text alert is a great backp too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Agrigreen

Have to echo the post about avoiding a dairymaster tank. Took out a Packo 4 years ago and put a 10000l dairymaster in. Regularly getting in to wash it manually. Compressor was undersized from day 1 but didn’t notice at the time as I bought it plenty big with plans to expand. It’s a 5hp and taking up to 4 hours to cool. Nothing but trouble. Tried to get a company to take it on a service contract but the 2 local crowds won’t touch it because they knew the problems with them. Pay per callout only. Don’t be sucked in by the sales talk like I was because by talking to others and reading here, I’m not the only one having problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Milkingmad

What’s the thoughts on service contracts? Have a Liscarroll tank that’s 5 years old and starting to give problems, few bits and pieces gone lately.

Milkingmad wrote: »
    What’s the thoughts on service contracts? Have a Liscarroll tank that’s 5 years old and starting to give problems, few bits and pieces gone lately.

Wouldn't be without the contract here. Has paid for itself many times

whelan2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be without the contract here. Has paid for itself many times

I agree contract on old tank was well worth the money. Will be putting it back on contact the second half of this year.

Service man also said he could not guarantee me service at busy times that if he had 5 calls and The rest were on contract he would have to get to them first and if he had time he’d get to me then. Which is fair enough I suppose.
    Not much use if I have a full tank of hot milk. Paying for peace of mind really

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

As others have said gives great price of mind. Have a delaval tank 3 years now, never any trouble. Had the service contract on it since I bought it. Seems like a waste of money now but won't take it off at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No contract here on an older mueller tank, repairs only cost €300 over the last 3 years. No preferential treatment to contract customers either if I need the serviceman he'll arrive on time.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    No contract here on an older mueller tank, repairs only cost €300 over the last 3 years. No preferential treatment to contract customers either if I need the serviceman he'll arrive on time.

I suppose it depends who provides the service,
    The problem I would have with that set up would be if I rang my service man Sunday evening with a tank of hot milk he is obliged to come out as i will have a contract with him to do so.
    Otherwise your really just hoping he will call out of good will and you have no come back if he doesn’t. I know you can go somewhere else for service but good lads seem to be hard got and that’s not much use if you have to let a full tank down the drain.I know a lot of Electrician’s and plumbers that there wouldn’t be a hope of them coming out on a Sunday to fix something. Might never happen but In my opinion it’s worth it When something does go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I suppose it depends who provides the service,
    The problem I would have with that set up would be if I rang my service man Sunday evening with a tank of hot milk he is obliged to come out as i will have a contract with him to do so.
    Otherwise your really just hoping he will call out of good will and you have no come back if he doesn’t. I know you can go somewhere else for service but good lads seem to be hard got and that’s not much use if you have to let a full tank down the drain.I know a lot of Electrician’s and plumbers that there wouldn’t be a hope of them coming out on a Sunday to fix something. Might never happen but In my opinion it’s worth it When something does go wrong.

One of the call outs was at milking time on a Sunday evening and the serviceman was on in half an hour. Another crowd that I was asking about a contract said it could be around €700/year because the tank is over 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Same here, I don't bother with the contract anymore, had to call out the service chap twice in the 5 odd yrs I've had the tank, no problem anytime getting him.

How much are service contracts this year? My dairymaster lost its gas a few weeks ago and it cost 600+ VAT. Service man was telling me gas prices are rising at a crazy rate. Anyone had to gas their tanks recently?

Agrigreen wrote: »
    How much are service contracts this year? My dairymaster lost its gas a few weeks ago and it cost 600+ VAT. Service man was telling me gas prices are rising at a crazy rate. Anyone had to gas their tanks recently?

Yea I was googling it recently it’s one thing that made me sign up to a contract this year.
    R404 is the gas is my compressor’s,service man said there’s about 6kg in each unit. He said the gas at the moment is about 75euro per kg and going by google it’s just going to keep rising until they ban it outright. As you said if something breaks and it lets off all the gas it’s going to be a big bill. Service man said gas would be covered under the contract. Think it came to around 500 plus vat per year with Glanbia. I phoned a few and they seem to range from about 500-750 plus vat.
    Service man came out and inspected my set up and then signed me up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You're having a lot of problems with that tank, tbf.

Yea I was googling it recently it’s one thing that made me sign up to a contract this year.
    R404 is the gas is my compressor’s,service man said there’s about 6kg in each unit. He said the gas at the moment is about 75euro per kg and going by google it’s just going to keep rising until they ban it outright. As you said if something breaks and it lets off all the gas it’s going to be a big bill. Service man said gas would be covered under the contract. Think it came to around 500 plus vat per year with Glanbia. I phoned a few and they seem to range from about 500-750 plus vat.
    Service man came out and inspected my set up and then signed me up.
    What size is that tank that is 500+ VAT? Sounds very cheap. Although anything sounds cheap at this stage😂 my neighbour paying €708 inc VAT for his 6000l Tank and says he wouldn’t be without it. In my discussion group a lot of the younger lads are opting to take a chance without contract and it’s the 50+ wouldn’t be without it. Peace of mind and knowing the service man will answer the phone to me when I ring would be worth it in my opinion

What size is that tank that is 500+ VAT? Sounds very cheap. Although anything sounds cheap at this stage😂 my neighbour paying €708 inc VAT for his 6000l Tank and says he wouldn’t be without it. In my discussion group a lot of the younger lads are opting to take a chance without contract and it’s the 50+ wouldn’t be without it. Peace of mind and knowing the service man will answer the phone to me when I ring would be worth it in my opinion

6000l tank it’s around €615 including vat. That’s Glanbia contract price for my tank the crowd that does Dari-Kool tanks in Cork was up over €700 and a few independent lads were in between. I went for Glanbia as it’s taken twice a year out of the milk check. They also recommended the service man to me.

The other lads wanted a cheque. Yea I agree my phone bill is more expensive per month than the service contract .
    It’s one of the most important machines in the yard to be fair, any money we have made all through the years came out of the tank.
    I had the service man out to inspect the tank and he told me they are not taking on anything over 10years old on contract. So it is peace of mind for small-ish money I think.

2 payments of 280 taken out in April and May milk cheque. Have to ring them again tomorrow, problems with a sensor again:mad: 12500litre tank

2 payments of 280 taken out in April and May milk cheque. Have to ring them again tomorrow, problems with a sensor again:mad: 12500litre tank

What part of the country is that?

Anyone recommend a crowd in monaghan/louth area?

What part of the country is that?

Anyone recommend a crowd in monaghan/louth area?

I'm in louth. O connell refrigeration look after mine

I'm in louth. O connell refrigeration look after mine

Was told about them over the weekend actually. Reliable outfit?
    I had renaghans. Hit and miss whether they would come to you. Rang a call in about wash pump on a Saturday last year. Came to me the following Thursday. Not much use if it was a cooling problem

They are now called this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

On tank maintence ,blow out yer radiater with air .saves a fortune at peak milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Our lad was saying about putting a red light outside dairy to show if milk was over 7 degrees, which I would see from the house? What do ye think?

Advertisement