Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U12s playing in multiple streams

Options
  • 01-05-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

If a team has an A,B and C team at U12's, is there nothing stopping a couple of A players appearing with the C's to help them win games?

It would seem a little unfair but I cant see anything in the rules to stop it.

I can see how if one team is short players, not being able to do this would be a problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

If a team has an A,B and C team at U12's, is there nothing stopping a couple of A players appearing with the C's to help them win games?

I can see how if one team is short players, not being able to do this would be a problem.

Each county/division will have their own regualtions/rules but under no circumstances would what you have described happen.

In general the club has to submit a list for each grade and a player may move up a grade but not down. Fixtures will usually be fixed so that the stronger team will play first.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

There may not be a rule to prevent it but clubs doing it wont have a club very long

I know that if I was a parent of a child who was a sub for the c team because lads from the A team were getting matchs across three grades I wouldn't hang around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Is an under 12 game that important to win? What about player development and retention?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Is an under 12 game that important to win? What about player development and retention?

Not for me it's not. For others... maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Bit of a strange situation. If a club has numbers for 3 teams you may on occassion find a C player having to play A not the other way around it

Here's the rules in Cork

1.12. Where Clubs have sufficient players to cater for two teams in an age group, a panel of 10 players is to be nominated as Team 1 players, the remaining players being permitted to play in the Central 3 grade as Team 2 players, but who would be permitted to play in Team 1 without affecting their status. This situation is applicable to all competitions except for Championship and applies to the Central Region only. The 10 nominated players must play in the first round of the Championship in the first team, Team 1. If they do not or can’t play, the CCC (Secretary, Central Region) must be notified of the reason before the game. The list of 10 players must be submitted to the Rúnaí of the Central Region for approval of the CCC before competitions in Central 3 start. Any player who has represented Cork in the Munster or All-Ireland Minor (Fé 17) championship must be nominated as one of the 10 players. Once approval by the Central Region is granted, a copy of this list must be forwarded to the Rúnaí of Coiste na nÓg.

1.13. Where a club has a team in Premier 1 and 2 (Central) Leagues, or a Premier team in Central and a second team in any of the other Regions, 12 players must be nominated until Championship. Second teams will be graded by the relevant Regions, in consultation with Coiste na nÓg. Any player who has represented Cork in the Munster or All-Ireland Minor (Fé 17) championship must be nominated as one of the 12 players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Bit of a strange situation. If a club has numbers for 3 teams you may on occassion find a C player having to play A not the other way around it

Here's the rules in Cork

1.12. Where Clubs have sufficient players to cater for two teams in an age group, a panel of 10 players is to be nominated as Team 1 players, the remaining players being permitted to play in the Central 3 grade as Team 2 players, but who would be permitted to play in Team 1 without affecting their status. This situation is applicable to all competitions except for Championship and applies to the Central Region only. The 10 nominated players must play in the first round of the Championship in the first team, Team 1. If they do not or can’t play, the CCC (Secretary, Central Region) must be notified of the reason before the game. The list of 10 players must be submitted to the Rúnaí of the Central Region for approval of the CCC before competitions in Central 3 start. Any player who has represented Cork in the Munster or All-Ireland Minor (Fé 17) championship must be nominated as one of the 10 players. Once approval by the Central Region is granted, a copy of this list must be forwarded to the Rúnaí of Coiste na nÓg.

1.13. Where a club has a team in Premier 1 and 2 (Central) Leagues, or a Premier team in Central and a second team in any of the other Regions, 12 players must be nominated until Championship. Second teams will be graded by the relevant Regions, in consultation with Coiste na nÓg. Any player who has represented Cork in the Munster or All-Ireland Minor (Fé 17) championship must be nominated as one of the 12 players.

Interesting. What age is that for? U17's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Under 12 to Under 17s

Championship doesn't come into the equation until under 14

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Here's the rules in Cork

I think that's fairly standard across sports. I know it's the case with A & B teams in the Mayo Football (soccer) League.

You name your A team squad in advance (or 16 of that squad) and those players are only permitted to play A. It's to protect against B teams being loaded with A team players for an important/big game for example.

B team player can play for the A's but once they've played 5 games for the A's then the are reclassified as an A player.

It's a fairly good system in fairness. You do still get the odd 50 years old being registered as an A player though... but by and large the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

When I was underage in Meath we had to name 15 players who couldn't play on the B team (the "reserve" team as it was called). The B players could still play in the A team though.

In theory you could name your best 15 as your B team and steamroll that competition while also playing them in your A team, but as mentioned above that robs the legitimate B players of their rightful spot and you'd see a huge dropoff in players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rpurfield

When I was underage in Meath we had to name 15 players who couldn't play on the B team (the "reserve" team as it was called). The B players could still play in the A team though.

In theory you could name your best 15 as your B team and steamroll that competition while also playing them in your A team, but as mentioned above that robs the legitimate B players of their rightful spot and you'd see a huge dropoff in players.

Slightly off topic but that also applies to the A and B leagues at adult level in Meath. Long term injuries and lads moved abroad could feature heavilyin the first 15 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement