Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virtual Reality General Discussion / Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can you still rock out to Atom Bomb?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm looking to get a foldable chair for my G29 (and also for watching movies up close on my 3DTV).

Is the Playseat Challenge the best option? I don't have separate gearstick and won't be getting one so no worries there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Doge wrote: »

Other than the reinforcing hand for aim this looks just like H3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

MMO Space Shooter coming to the Rift, Oculus Go and Gear VR.
    One step closer to Ready Player one? ;)

Defector looks pretty promising (Oculus exclusive)

Full locomotion and from the makers of Wilson's Heart.

mrcheez wrote: »

Thats looks f*cking awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hopefully the True Open Industry Consortium Standard OpenXR will be ready by the time this comes out. Both Oculus and Valve have said they will switch their Store fronts to OpenXR when its ready and deprecate Valves OpenVR and Oculus' OVR SDK's to legacy support meaning that the defacto HMD exclusivity on the Oculus Store due to Oculus not wanting to support an SDK wholly controlled by their competition (which would have made it the default SDK for Devs) or support a simple wrapper like Revive will finally end and Oculus funded exclusive titles will become simply Store exclusive as opposed to defacto HMD exclusive just like Valves 3 secret VR titles will be Steam Exclusives.

I can't wait for that day to come because the only thing Rifters and their Vive VR brethren will have to argue about after that is Facebook. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Doge wrote: »
    Thats looks f*cking awesome!

One Vive Pro please!

• Advertisement

If Steam was locked into Hardware DRM like the Oculus store is then you'd have a point.

I've simple enough approach to companies signing up for exclusives, you put out an Oculus or Viveport exclusive then I'm never going to buy your products. Plenty more fish in the sea.

Calibos wrote: »
    Hopefully the True Open Industry Consortium Standard OpenXR will be ready by the time this comes out. Both Oculus and Valve have said they will switch their Store fronts to OpenXR when its ready and deprecate Valves OpenVR and Oculus' OVR SDK's to legacy support meaning that the defacto HMD exclusivity on the Oculus Store due to Oculus not wanting to support an SDK wholly controlled by their competition (which would have made it the default SDK for Devs) or support a simple wrapper like Revive will finally end and Oculus funded exclusive titles will become simply Store exclusive as opposed to defacto HMD exclusive just like Valves 3 secret VR titles will be Steam Exclusives.

I can't wait for that day to come because the only thing Rifters and their Vive VR brethren will have to argue about after that is Facebook. :D

I'd say Oculus are funding this one, so it'll probably remain exclusive for at least a few months so they can recoup funds.

I know Wilson's Heart is also exclusive, so I wonder if Twisted Pixel have had their arm twisted by Facebook?

Bambi wrote: »
    If Steam was locked into Hardware DRM like the Oculus store is then you'd have a point.

I've simple enough approach to companies signing up for exclusives, you put out an Oculus or Viveport exclusive then I'm never going to buy your products. Plenty more fish in the sea.

Steam supports both OpenVR and OVR because they want to sell games to as many people as possible. Oculus also want to officially sell games to as many people as possible just like Valve but they decided to pass up a short term financial gain that they could afford to do without in the short term anyway, in order to not help make the competitions SDK become the defacto Industry Standard. OpenVR is open in so far as anyone can use it but its not open in that its wholly controlled by Valve and you are subject to their whim if you want some of your existing or future hardware features supported in the SDK. A hypothetical example might be that Valve drag their heals implementing one of your new hardware features into the OpenVR SDK to give one of their more favoured hardware partners time to catch up and implement their version. Oculus Home supporting OpenVR would have made it the defacto industry standard as Dev's would just take the path of least resistance and use OpenVR.

Valve stood to lose nothing and gain a lot by supporting both SDK's on their Store. Oculus stood to gain more sales to Vivers in the short-term but would lose any control or input into the ongoing development of the VR SDK if OpenVR became the industry standard.

This was an untenable situation for Oculus who wanted an Industry consortium developed True Open Standard that no one controls completely and where everyone has an input into it. That Standard was the Khronos VR Groups (of which Oculus, Valve, nVidia, AMD etc where founding members) OpenXR which should be ready before the year is out and and thats when the defacto hardware exclusivity becomes merely Store Exclusivity just like Valves 3 VR games will be Steam Exclusive. Oculus wants Vivers money too!!

Oculus use a model that ties games to proprietary hardware, that's a major no no for a lot of people in PC gaming because it's bad for PC gaming. Plain and simple. That's the crux of the matter regardless of why they went they went down that route

As for the why: Oculus had to bring the Facebook business model into the PC sphere. Monitoring their customers behavior is central to that business model, they can't do that when people are using software and hardware that is outside their control. Valve are only relevant in that Facebook don't control them

Oculus use a model that ties games to proprietary hardware, that's a major no no for a lot of people in PC gaming because it's bad for PC gaming. Plain and simple. That's the crux of the matter regardless of why they went they went down that route

As for the why: Oculus had to bring the Facebook business model into the PC sphere. Monitoring their customers behavior is central to that business model, they can't do that when people are using software and hardware that is outside their control. Valve are only relevant in that Facebook don't control them

What part of defacto HMD exclusive until a true Open VR standard was developed (OpenXR) that oculus could get behind before opening the Store to other HMD's and the reasons thereof, making the games Oculus Store but not Oculus Rift Exclusive.....didn't you understand? ;)

I understand alright, the Oculus store was deliberately tied to their hardware and still is. (and BTW OpenXR is no guarantee that this will change, I'm not aware of any statement from Oculus that they're deffo dropping the hardware tie in)

The explanation as to why is irrelevant to the fact that it happened. It's bad for PC gaming that this behaviour becomes normalized. Plain and simple

You believe the official explanation for that decision, fair enough. I don't because there is a more plausible explanation that's based on Facebooks actual business model.

I understand alright, the Oculus store was deliberately tied to their hardware and still is. (and BTW OpenXR is no guarantee that this will change, I'm not aware of any statement from Oculus that they're deffo dropping the hardware tie in)

The explanation as to why is irrelevant to the fact that it happened. It's bad for PC gaming that this behaviour becomes normalized. Plain and simple

You believe the official explanation for that decision, fair enough. I don't because there is a more plausible explanation that's based on Facebooks actual business model.

We'll agree to disagree then because I believe the reasons I outlined are the more plausible explanations. I also believe that Valve having a near monopolistic control of VR software distribution or it least what might have become its defacto industry default SDK standard would have been far worse for VR. Other hardware manufacturers possibly being subject to 'Valve-Time' for feature implementation into a Valve 100% controlled default VR SDK??? No Thank You! I'm sorry our VR Bro's with Vives ended up being collateral damage due to the Oculus Home defacto HMD exclusivity until OpenXR got off the ground. I am very confident that OpenXR will herald a new era of mere Store Exclusivity for Oculus funded/developed games. I guess we'll just have to wait and see who turns out to be right. Hopefully not much longer now.

I've no idea what you lads are yammering on about :)

Just a heads up, as the VR community is so small, yet the number of redditors/YouTubers doing prize giveaways so high, there is a big chance of winning keys just by entering competitions on YouTube / Reddit, as the number of entries is relatively small compared to mainstream gaming.

I've won many free keys (particularly off reddit) over the past few weeks, including a copy of Operation Warcade, which I can't wait to get into.

Typically 5 keys are given away, but only perhaps 20-30 people enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Just a heads up, as the VR community is so small, yet the number of redditors/YouTubers doing prize giveaways so high, there is a big chance of winning keys just by entering competitions on YouTube / Reddit, as the number of entries is relatively small compared to mainstream gaming.

I've won many free keys (particularly off reddit) over the past few weeks, including a copy of Operation Warcade, which I can't wait to get into.

On what sub? vr, oculus, vive?

• Advertisement

_DMac_ wrote: »
    On what sub? vr, oculus, vive?

oculus, vive, psvr plus youtubers

I'm gonna let y'all onto a little secret.

I've been playing a game the past few months that has a monthly competition to win Amazon gift cards just by placing in the top 3 (sometimes in the top 5 depending on the month). The thing is, hardly anyone is playing it so winning is actually pretty simple with little effort.

So far I've won $55 worth of gift cards, just for playing a couple of hours a month, and I've ended up using those to buy PSN points to use against PSVR purchases. I ended up winning another $25 last night by coming first!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/500110/Glider_Island/

I bought the game when it was on sale (it's only €7.99 normal retail though) and I've basically been getting free PSVR games for the past 3 months.

You'd easily earn prizemoney covering the cost of the game. I feel bad that I'm taking this money from the dev all the time (he's a nice bloke!) so thought to spread the word to get more involved.

If any of you decide to pick it up I'll give you some tips on getting into the top three to win the prizemoney, and I'll hold off on trying to get the top spot again cuz it feels wrong :D

I've just won a key for Just In Time Inc on PSVR!!!

Holy crap, its competitions all the way from now on for my VR backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've just won a key for Just In Time Inc on PSVR!!!

Holy crap, its competitions all the way from now on for my VR backlog

Can you link directly to one of the competitions? I've only recently joined Reddit and can't seem to find any competitions like you mentioned.

Can you link directly to one of the competitions? I've only recently joined Reddit and can't seem to find any competitions like you mentioned.

e.g. Oculus:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8dfddz/ovrshot_steam_key_giveaway_batch_2/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJw6OlogP_A

PSVR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txi0NytnC5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnXJw7t0wBY

plus loads more...

You just need to sub to the youtube guys. I follow them all anyway.

Plus obviously my nice little earner with Glider Island (as mentioned in previous post) which nets me an extra $25 per month to go toward PSVR as there's no real competition stopping me :)

So "Beat Saber" seems to be rocking the world at the moment, tempted to pick it up, though I usually don't spend more than €15 on a game.

Anyone tried it?

btw I'm ultra addicted to "In Death" ... the new demon ghost enemies are the scariest jump scares I've had in VR so far. Remind me of the ghosts attacking the Nazis at the end Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Thing is, they get me every time.

Every! ****ing! Time!

It's my favourite game without question. I upped the super-sampling to 1.5 and it's so damn good looking.

Audioshield was brilliant for a few hours, then it was boring. suspect Beat Saber is the same, with shilly mc shills hyping it up.

All its track sound crap as well...euro beat fluff

Audioshield was brilliant for a few hours, then it was boring. suspect Beat Saber is the same, with shilly mc shills hyping it up.

All its track sound crap as well...euro beat fluff

I actually like the music, totally into synthwave etc.

They're going to be expanding it eventually to allow uploading your own music.

So who's going to buy The Forest?

I wonder if the price will go up when it releases VR support.

• Advertisement

I actually like the music, totally into synthwave etc.

Clues in the name I suppose :p

Advertisement