Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can sizes in Ireland

• 27-04-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭

Here I was quite happily buying an 8 pack of Carling 500ml (don't judge me, could be worse and it's Aldi beer) for 9 euro in Tesco

One day noticed ooh a 12 pack for 12 euro - grand job, cheapish beer, I don't care, I'm not a connoisseur - it's got alcohol, tastes OK, get drunk - I'm sorted prior to going to the bar.

Almost 3 weeks later after seeing this my friend points out they are only 440ml - I feel cheated and humiliated - am I the only one that expects all cans to be 500ml?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No, 440ml cans have been around for ages in the UK and are becoming increasingly common here in the craft beer end of the market. I'm currently drinking a can of Sierra Nevada pale ale. It's a US 16 fl oz can, which equals 473ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

This is a serious issue, it's good to talk, I suggest speaking to someone professionally trained in dealing with situations of where someone feels what you are feeling. Just take it one day at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

liam7831 wrote: »
    This is a serious issue, it's good to talk, I suggest speaking to someone professionally trained in dealing with situations of where someone feels what you are feeling. Just take it one day at a time

Absolutely, we have an expectation of what we are buying is of the quantity that is the norm and should be expected
    If I was an alcoholic I would take it one day at a time, alas I only have weekends to imbibe so I feel my time should be better served by drinking what I class as a full can and that being 500ml - in the future I will now have to use the calculator to measure how many 440ml cans is equal to my normal 500ml can drinking
    Unfortunately by the time I have got thru the 12 cans I'm fairly incapable of using a calculator so don't remember if I was cheated or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

fritzelly wrote: »
    l - I feel cheated and humiliated - am I the only one that expects all cans to be 500ml?

Probably!😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

But seriously - are the 440ml cans making more headroom in Ireland - always used to be 500ml, seems now lots of smaller cans are on the shelves
    Seems like a con on the supermarket side

Patww79 wrote: »
    Just be glad you can get a 440. Probably won't be long until we are limited to 4x330ml cans at a time for our "safety".

Also, what's the Aldi beer? If you like Carling then try their bottles of Karlskrone. It's not bad value and lovely when cold.

Aldi stuff is horrible, will check out the karlskrone, Dutch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think if you do the maths on the price per ml there is very little in it between the two purchases.

You werent ripped off but from your description bigger issue is you are used to drinking X cans and this confuses the system.

If you normally drink 8 500s drink 9 440s, thats the closest rounding.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement