Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Owning more than 1 car in Dublin

Options
  • 26-04-2018 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Afternoon All,

A quick one for you. I own a car. A nice car. I love my car.
    Although, the want is strong to buy a summer car.
    There are a couple of things giving me pause in whipping out my chequebook, so to speak.
    The chief among these being; where do you store the bloody thing during the winter months if you're living in town with only on-street parking?

Surely there's something I'm missing.

Thoughts?

- Shep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shepsi

Surely not on a permit-parking street though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There are regular classics you see about parked on-street.

I suggest you need two things for that to work:

1) A more modern classic that won't rot (as quickly) if left out, or attract too much attention.
    2) A decent neighbourhood that won't see some scrote keying your car or knifing your roof.

I wouldn't consider it on a road that sees a lot of transient foot traffic especially anywhere dodgy or near a boozer. Only you'll know if your street has the potential to be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have always wondered; do people bother storing theirs cars in self storage, if they've only room for one car at their house? Or would the costs be way too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What car are you thinking about shepsi and what is your budget?

Classic car storage in the Dublin area is roughly €60 per month ballpark. If that is an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

unkel wrote: »

Classic car storage in the Dublin area is roughly €60 per month ballpark. If that is an option for you.

I assume that's purely to park and not do any work on it.

• Advertisement

That's just storage. A place where you can do work on it is opening up a can of worms in relation to liability / insurance etc. People here have tried to setup shared workshops before, but I don't think it worked out. You might do a search for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

In the past I only had on street parking and it worked out fine. I had a few attempted break-ins, but a decent alarm (with a fob that tells you if the alarm is going off) dealt with that. As regards doing work on the car, it isn't ideal, but it is doable... drag the tools out, extension lead and you're good to go.

Just to add, I had 3 different classics on-street outside my house over a period of about 7 years with no trouble whatsoever. It was a residential area though and a bit removed from urbanites.

I did change one car though (a '72 Merc) because I knew sitting forever outside on the street would eventually kill it. And I couldn't drive it enough to keep it happy. Something galvanised would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I was going to start a new thread on this question, but here seems like a good place.

I'm hankering over a Mercedes W123 280 (6 pot petrol) coupé or saloon, (or a W201, or an E30) I live in a largish gated estate (with the gate almost permanently broken and open) on the northside of Dublin. Parking is basically on street with a mixture of parallel parking along the kerb, and the other type with bays 90 deg to the kerb (whatever that's called!).

What the wisdom here about that? I'm thinking the nice people that may wish to 'borrow' a car may think a 280 coupé would be a fast and thus attractive yoke, to 'borrow'?

We do have the option of underground spaces, not many, me included, use them. Not sure it that is being lazy or is underground more risky? The entrance to them has a gate (which I think works but my remote broke years ago).

Edit- parking is something very roughly like this https://goo.gl/images/dVWBQV

Sounds fine to me.

I doubt anyone would go out of their way to take an old Merc for a spin. Stealing something as recognisable once reported as a classic would be stupid even for a car stealing scumbag.

Once you're off a pedestrian street there's no real risk in my book.

• Advertisement

Thanks, good to see someone else does not think it's risky!

What did /do you have, if you don't mind?

However, there was a thread here not so long ago about a stolen Morris Minor (IIRC), so classics do get nicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Older cars are easier to steal. I'd put some anti theft devices in it.

I see Aldi (or Lidl) selling those yellow steering wheel locks again, I hadn't seen one in years.

Yes, I think I'd invest in a good alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shepsi

unkel wrote: »

The car I'm hankering for is an e46 M3. With as much change from 15k as I could muster.

It's a very nickable car. My preference would be to keep it off the street as there's a few wee ham children that have already smashed my 320cd's driver door glass in already.

Adding that ~720 p/a to the maintenance of two cars could well tip it into the unfeasible end of the dial. Food for thought anyway.

Good car to put into storage alright. Prices are probably approaching lowest point at this stage. A very long time before it qualifies for vintage tax though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

More risk of someone just being a c**t and damaging it rather than nicking it tbh. Or someone damaging it while parking.

Are you entitled to more than one space? If parking is in short supply, you could get other residents moaning about the "old car" that never moves, just something to bear in mind.

Advertisement