Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raves- The summer of '96 - the years 00-05

• 25-04-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Ah the great and famous rave, getting a text at 5 to 12 Telling you where to go and zoomin on in a minibus with a group of your favourite creatures to party the night away only to end up Nashing a random fellla's ear of at 6 o clock in the morning and gumming him your whole life story.

I started this thread as more of a question than anything Else, I myself as a sprog (been 18 for about 6 months now) am sickened that I missed the WHOLE rave and underground movement it's the one thing that I have fun at and I live for the music, I was just wondering for my own sake are there any "after parties" or proper Sweaty sketty raves that still happen in this beautiful yurting country of ours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ah the great and famous rave, getting a text at 5 to 12 Telling you where to go and zoomin on in a minibus with a group of your favourite creatures to party the night away only to end up Nashing a random fellla's ear of at 6 o clock in the morning and gumming him your whole life story.

I started this thread as more of a question than anything Else, I myself as a sprog (been 18 for about 6 months now) am sickened that I missed the WHOLE rave and underground movement it's the one thing that I have fun at and I live for the music, I was just wondering for my own sake are there any "after parties" or proper Sweaty sketty raves that still happen in this beautiful yurting country of ours?

Nice try, Dibble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I rave every weekend with a huge crowd but we all collectively agreed that you can't come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I can try tell ya about it but I'm really not sure what memories are actually real at this stage.

The one thing I can rightly remember is the sweaty part. You'd pick your t shirt up the next morning and it would be like ya walked home in the rain it would be that wet. Also I should have shares in vics vapour rub!!! Added to this random guys massaging your shoulders was always a bit odd no matter how off your tits ya were. The ultimate challenge was trying to find a tap with running water if ya didn't bring a bottle or couldn't buy one.

One friend ended up in hospital for a number of months after her brain got friend on E. There was also a good few who got stung out on gear as they would use it to come down off of the high.

Ah the good old days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Also just to say the ****ing rush you'd get from a good dj was just ****ing amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm still tripping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm still tripping.
    Don't try to fly a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

it was some craic.... i'm eternally grateful I got to be young at the right time for it.

Gas thing is that i'm in my forties now and I see virtually nobody from school, college or previous jobs.... all my most enduring friendships are with the people I got monged with in a field 25 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Do ravers suffer more from nostalgia or something or are their brains having regular flash backs to the past from to many yolks because it seems these threads happen every two months in a manner that other sub cultures don't seem to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

McTigs wrote: »
    it was some craic.... i'm eternally grateful I got to be young at the right time for it.

Gas thing is that i'm in my forties now and I see virtually nobody from school, college or previous jobs.... all my most enduring friendships are with the people I got monged with in a field 25 years ago

First comment under it is :D:D:D
    Lol 0:43 that black guy is my dad Lol he's a immigration lawyer in London now, **** wont even let me go to a bar without an argument haha I'm gonna show him this and kick his old ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Waiting in line to get into a club while coming up was always crazy,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

If they aint happening, set one up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 6 3rd Degree Gurns

I feel personally Targeted and bullied, And will be calling the ERU and Army Rangers Wing .

Mate I saw Bicep live There september gone and **** ME! is all I can say haha their song "just" led to me having a full meltdown in the middle of the event the line "we're just the same" looping over and over in my head as I got this mad rush of just.. belonging there and that everything was just how it should be.. mad stuff, two boys from belfast are serious oul DJ's Must say!

Defunkd wrote: »
    If they aint happening, set one up.

I live in a poxy village !! haha In the months since i've turned 18 I've been travelling to the likes of Belfast's Mandela Hall and Galway's boatclub for the events of Basement Project and P4zzle they've been great but I really want to know about the underground movement, The music and the people just makes it seem like the place I really want to be right now..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Ahh this lad was a lethal raver

Just covering my own incompetence

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Ooh cheers for that one never heard it before that's mint :P

Thing I love most about watching videos that were recorded live is Seeing everyone absolutely YIPPED TO DEATH there in the crowd haha on a lovely one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Waiting in line to get into a club while coming up was always crazy,

Try going through security in Dublin airport whilst coming down.
    Security pulled me out of the line and frisked me. My own fault, my eyes were rolling so much I tried to go through security wearing sunglasses. :D

recyclops wrote: »

Definitely the wrong thread dude.

Grayson wrote: »
    Try going through security in Dublin airport whilst coming down.
    Security pulled me out of the line and frisked me. My own fault, my eyes were rolling so much I tried to go through security wearing sunglasses. :D

Aha I experienced this with Iarnroid Eireann employees had 3 of them come up to me "are you alright young chap do you want a water, are you feeling ok will we get medical assistance" I just said "rough weekend boys could do with a ****ing water alright!" and they let me on haha

Aha I experienced this with Iarnroid Eireann employees had 3 of them come up to me "are you alright young chap do you want a water, are you feeling ok will we get medical assistance" I just said "rough weekend boys could do with a ****ing water alright!" and they let me on haha

Ahh water. It's like nectar when you're skagging.

That reminded me of a time coming back from Sligo. There's been a massive rave on the beach and I was in bits the next day. The train was cancelled and they put us on a bus that had no air con, on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

I loved the ones out in the woods or on a beach somewhere, you’d have to ring for directions and half the time you wouldn’t have any idea where you were. Music could be really hit or miss...nothing worse than being on a bad buzz with Gabba pounding in your ears. We did have lots of fun adventures wandering through the wilderness though. Probably not the safest if you think about it but most of the ravers were a friendly bunch. Nothing like the aggro you’d get with a big feed of pints on board.

Advertisement