Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the story?

• 23-04-2018 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with the guy who owns all the cars at the junction which leads to Carley's Bridge on the road between Enniscorthy and New Ross? I've heard that he is less than friendly to people enquiring about his 'stock'.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I spotted those cars there too. Apparently the EPA/council made him out a load of vehicles in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I found him to be alright. It was many years ago but I'm sure if you have a friendly approach he would be ok. He doesn't entertain con artists trying to pull a fast one but if you're genuine he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

jca wrote: »
    I found him to be alright. It was many years ago but I'm sure if you have a friendly approach he would be ok. He doesn't entertain con artists trying to pull a fast one but if you're genuine he's ok.

That'll be everyone that owns a classic then..............:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That'll be everyone that owns a classic then..............:P

You'd think that but unfortunately that attitude doesn't prevail amongst the "classic" owners around here. The snobbery is dreadful, lads letting cars rot in fields rather than sell them to someone who has a similar car and between both could get a car on the road. The motorbike guys are much nicer but there's very few around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I had similar thoughts on the Dingle peninsula at the weekend.
    A bunch of VW vans on the roadside between Conor Pass and Castlegregory. Various models, one 70s model overgrown by a tree and rusting away quietly. I didn't have time to have a closer look. Pity to see them out in the elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

The snobbery is dreadful, lads letting cars rot in fields rather than sell them to someone who has a similar car

Don't forget that people enjoy classic cars in different ways. Some people like to buy and sell them, some people like restoring them, some like collecting them, some like driving them... and some people just like having them and looking at them, whether they are pristine and in a shed or even if they are parked in a field or yard and have become dilapidated.

They might still be enjoying having that car, or enjoying the dream of someday doing something with it. We have to acknowledge people enjoy them in different ways.

A guy on a neighbouring farm to me has a vast collection of bits of machinery and tractors and all sorts. A lot of people make comment to me, 'why doesn't he sell any stuff', or 'whey doesn't he just clean up the place and make a fortune off the scrap value'. Fact is he enjoys having all those bits of tractors and machines around, likes looking at it, making things out of a few bits, selling the odd part. Its actually quite enjoyable place to wonder around.

I have a few old wrecks out back, I like having them there, like a garden ornament really. Some people have Mercedes grills hanging up in their shed, I just have mine on display outside... and still attached to the car!... and I get a bit of fun out of getting them started now and again too. handy for generic parts too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Testacalda wrote: »
    I have a few old wrecks out back, I like having them there, like a garden ornament really. Some people have Mercedes grills hanging up in their shed, I just have mine on display outside... and still attached to the car!... and I get a bit of fun out of getting them started now and again too. handy for generic parts too

You disgust me! :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

lads letting cars rot in fields.

Can never understand that, put it under cover at least, use it or lose it (the elements will do the 'losing' bit)

It's like those crazy old batchelor farmers who never throw anything away. No wonder the nomadic peoples have them driven daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Can never understand that,

but we must try to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I called into him years ago looking for old landrover bits and found him quite present, he started showing me some Willis jeeps he had. As said above he probably gets tired of people calling in all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I seem to be building a collection of Isuzu Troopers at the moment......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i recently bought a 23 yr old Fiesta with no clear idea of why . Luckily I've covered accommodation for it, but I can understand people buying up cheap old cars just because they can.

Advertisement