Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Isa Nacewa appreciation thread - Part II

• 24-04-2018 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭

The last time he retired there was always the feeling that it was too soon and seemed wrong. This time, there's no question of him playing again unfortunately.

He will finish with over 180 caps and over 700 points scored. Arguably the best foreign player ever to set foot in this country and certainly one of the most influential. Hopefully he'll retire with some more silverware in his pocket. He deserves no less.

I think this is the original retirement thread back in 2013. I think we can do better. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Top geezer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Nacewa is absolutely the best ever import into the provinces.

He's excelled at 11, 14, 15 and even had a late career renaissance at 12. World class player at his very best and an incredible on field leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Absolute legend !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It had to end, sadly. He could never compete with James Lowe's hair and took the honourable approach to bow out gracefully. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Whatever else happens the rest of this season, for me 2009 to 2018 will always be the Isa and Sexton years! Two players who have always driven the standard up, and in Isa's case produced the goods on the "cold, wet Tuesday nights" when the internationals were away.

The real shame is we were denied him for 2 years in the middle.

Who would have thunk the 1st November 2003 would be such a fortuitous day for Leinster rugby?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/rugby_world_cup/3230005.stm

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What an absolute legend. He's not as good as he was when he came back but he's still an absolute stalwart who wouldn't look out of place in any club side. Leinster were blessed to keep him for so long as he absolutely would have made the big bucks in France if he wanted to.

Hopefully we can win the double so he can bow out a winner, which is exactly what he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sometimes words don't do justice to a guy. This is one such case. So......

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Always loved this try above most of his others. Absolutely bamboozles four defenders, and leaves Hamilton on the floor without touching him. Class.

One of the smartest rugby brains out there, I feel.

Always loved this try above most of his others. Absolutely bamboozles four defenders, and leaves Hamilton on the floor without touching him. Class.

One of the smartest rugby brains out there, I feel.
    Locky should have been pinged there for his lineout shenanigans. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Locky should have been pinged there for his lineout shenanigans. :D

And it was arguably a forward pass from Horgan, but once Nacewa took over it was pure class from there on in. You're not bringing me down on my appreciate for this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Absolute gent and certainly the best import to the Irish rugby system.
    When you look at his class, versatility, longevity and leadership there were none better.

Thanks for everything Isa. Now, just the small matter of 2 trophies and some "one more year" chants in the RDS (and Lansdowne).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Jesus there wont be a ticket had for the RDS semi now for Isa's farewell.

Ref might have to stop play for 5-10 minutes until the crowd dies down.

Assuming he doesn't play the full 80 like he always does haha.

Side note.

2010-11 season. He played 32 times for 2400 minutes. What an animal.

Thanks Isa. Sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

My favourite Isa moment (possibly improved by nostalgia and poor memory) is of him catching a touch finder one handed on the 22 after sprinting across the pitch to field it, not even breaking his stride, then ran it back, kicked it, and ended up with a line out on the oppositions 22. Think it was raining as well.

If anyone else remembers this i’d love to see video of it again. Equal chance that i’ve completely made it up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

My favourite Isa moment (possibly improved by nostalgia and poor memory) is of him catching a touch finder one handed on the 22 after sprinting across the pitch to field it, not even breaking his stride, then ran it back, kicked it, and ended up with a line out on the oppositions 22. Think it was raining as well.

If anyone else remembers this i’d love to see video of it again. Equal chance that i’ve completely made it up though!
    Wasn't in Croke park was it? remember he made one huge momentum building catch in that game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thud wrote: »
    Wasn't in Croke park was it? remember he made one huge momentum building catch in that game

I feel like it was dark and rainy. Might be completely wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He will finish with over 180 caps and over 700 points scored. Arguably the best foreign player ever to set foot in this country

There is no arguably about it. What a legend. I hope the team can pull off the double for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If the Isa we signed in 2008 and the Isa we signed in 2015 were two different players, I'd have them as the top 2 Leinster foreign signings. Pretty comfortably too.

Last year Isa Nacewa was the top try scorer in Champions Cup. This year he took up a new position and adapted as if it was no bother. He started 12 against Saracens and we wrecked them. I hope to hear some Isa chants, and one more, one more year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's funny to think that, 6 months after he arrived, people were far from convinced on his value to the team.

I never thought I'd be so disappointed to see a guy with a jheri curl leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What else can you say but... Isa, Isa, Isa, Isa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I hope he stays retired this time, that's the biggest compliment I can give him!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As in the Christy Moore song ... some jet off to frihilihana, Isa could have yet he stayed and has been the cornerstone of Leinster rugby for (ever) a long time.

Probably one of the best all round players Leinster ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I feel like it was dark and rainy. Might be completely wrong though.

Are you thinking of the one vs Leicester where he caught the ball with one hand and a hip while on the move?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the one vs Leicester where he caught the ball with one hand and a hip while on the move?

That sounds like the one!

Fake Edit: Actually it was against Clermont, there's a clip of the catch right at the start of this vid, can't find more unfortunately. Insane skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ProudIRISHman

Dougie Howlett Lite ;)

Good but definitely not the best import.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

It is not a coincidence that Íosa is Irish for Jesus, and Jesus is God.

Isa = God

stephen_n wrote: »
    What else can you say but... Isa, Isa, Isa, Isa

Going to be a bit awkward when Strauss and Isa are displayed on their final appearance in the RDS together as retiring ... and all they can both hear is Isa, Isa, Isa!

About three minutes into this. Good few replays of it which give a better context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Super player, probably the best of the imports across any of the four provinces you'd argue - brilliant footballer, intelligent and tough as nails but creative too. Always wondered - why he was out of the game for 2 years? There's a poster on another forum who hints at something negative but never spells it out.

• Advertisement

Dougie Howlett Lite ;)

Good but definitely not the best import.

Go on then, who was a better import

Advertisement