Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW Golf 1.4 petrol - engine needs replacement

• 23-04-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I need some advice, my car is 2008 1.4 Petrol VW Golf. The car brokedown suddenly with banging noise coming from the engine and was towed to nearby garage, who had a quick look and told- it need a new engine (possible issue is bearing or CamShaft gone).

They told me that a replacemnt engine from a breakers will cost approx €500 + another €500 to fit it, and there wont be any warranty on replaced engine from dismantlers.

The car was working well upto 2 months back, when I lastly drove before going on holidays. The first day I drove, after I came back, this is what happened. Further, I tried caling couple of mechanics, everyone wants me to bring the car to them, before they can quote.

My Questions:
    - Does it sound like whole engine gone?
    - Does this cost for whole engine replacement sound fair(Dublin area)?
    - any recommendations for reputed garage in Dublin area who can give the quote? possibly any warranty?
    - Would it be worth going to VW dealer to get it diagnostics? they charge €130 for diagnostics before they will give any price quote + towing car charges to there.

Overall looking for right balance with safety, price, and warranty etc.

many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The 1.4 petrol engine is notorious as being shyte.
    I've had one..

Your options are pay €1k to get back on the road, or to scrap it/ sell for parts and buy something else.

Personally, having owned a 1.4 golf... I'd buy another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you want to keep the car then there could be an option to rebuild the existing engine depending on the amount of damage. Might be less risky than buying a second hand engine from a scrap yard. But really you are going to have to get it brought to a mechanic so that they can diagnose what happened and what your options are. Yes this is not easy for you but as you have found out it's next to impossible for a mechanic or garage to price a job when the car is not in front of them to probably diagnose what needs to be repaired or replaced.

I wouldn't even bother bringing a 10 year old car to a main dealer as they will very unlikely fit an engine sourced from a scrap yard. They might fit a reconditioned engine but most likely quote you for a brand new one along with a hefty labour charge. But I'd say they would hope the high price would put you off as they probably don't want the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sounds like it may have lost oil pressure when parked up for such a long time then when you started It, the timing may have slipped/ jumped.

Those engines are notorious for that even after an oil change it can happen and it can write off an engine.

It may not need an entire engine it may just need some cylinder head repairs and a new timing chain kit but for a decent garage to do this job with good quality parts come come to €1500+ easily.

I definitely wouldn't take it to a dealer, they'll just put it down for an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d say it’s worth repairing as it’s worth zero now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

http://www.iviengines.ie/index.php?page=engines

Could give you a quote or a laugh, 1.4 petrol engine for my sis' astra was E1700:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 gt12

thanks everyone for the inputs, really helpful to make a decision.

As car is worth €100-200 in the current condition and after fixing is €3000-3500, I decided to fix the car from local garage (not VW dealer). I also rang around and found some garages (like SummerHill Spares) fixing for €750 and giving 1 month warranty on the engine. I'll keep posted how it goes thereafter.

thanks again!

Are they putting a new timing belt/water pump on it?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are they putting a new timing belt/water pump on it?

yes.

I understood it's mandatory to have new timing belt and pump after engine replacement. can someone please correct if my understanding is wrong?

It’s not mandatory but it’s a bit stupid not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

In 2008 the Golf had 2x different 1.4 petrol engines, one belt and one chain. The chain ones have problems too so It'd be no harm to double verify which you have and doing a chain would be a good idea if yours has one and your budget can stretch to it.

• Advertisement

The chain one is the TSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

And at least the earlier 1.4 engines had 2 belts which were somewhat prone to snapping when some aftermarket kits were used.

Not sure about the op's car but id still insist on a genuine vw timing belt kit and water pump.

Thanks guys!

Finally I got the car fixed with 1 month warranty, engine drives well & paid total €800:
    - €375 replacing the whole engine (the guys explained the Crack shaft was gone, with piston cylinders in really bad state) with used engine;
    - €100 new water pump & timing belt kit, service, oil, coolant;
    - €75 to replace fan tension & put new filters after they found in bad condition for some unknown reason;
    - € 250 labor charge

But since then I feel new issue - jammed steering wheel.. do you think it may be related?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    And at least the earlier 1.4 engines had 2 belts which were somewhat prone to snapping when some aftermarket kits were used.

Not sure about the op's car but id still insist on a genuine vw timing belt kit and water pump.

Thanks for reply!

I dont think my car had 2 belts or had a chain, anyway new Timing Belt/Water pump kit was done, I dont believe its VW branded/genuine though.

gt12 wrote: »

But since then I feel new issue - jammed steering wheel.. do you think it may be related?

Like power steering not working? Or steering wheel just won’t turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thanks for the update OP , but I'd now recommend, getting rid if it within the next 6 months before the warranty runs out.

The mark iv 1.4 petrol golf is a bucket of *insert emoji poo .

I'm speaking from experience.. the next problem you'll encounter is part of the gear box exploding and blowing a hole in the gear box casing..

That followed by the electric windows, where the plastic arm holding the glass breaks, and the cable for the doors coming disconnected. Rendering you unable to open/close window and unable to open the door.

Been there.. done that... couldn't afford to buy the t shirt.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Thanks for the update OP , but I'd now recommend, getting rid if it within the next 6 months before the warranty runs out.

I'm speaking from experience.. the next problem you'll encounter is part of the gear box exploding and blowing a hole in the gear box casing..

That followed by the electric windows, where the plastic arm holding the glass breaks, and the cable for the doors coming disconnected. Rendering you unable to open/close window and unable to open the door.

Riiight, or it could just be something simple from when the engine was being swapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Thanks for reply!

I dont think my car had 2 belts or had a chain, anyway new Timing Belt/Water pump kit was done, I dont believe its VW branded/genuine though.

They usuall have 2 belts, a small one and a bigger one. Both come as part of the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've only read two threads on here where engines were replaced and both didn't work out ...the other guy was the Citroen c5 estate .

So tell me is it really worth the hassle in a ten year old car .

Maybe other people have good experiences??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just to the OP. I know somebody and they've an 2008 1.4 Golf.
    Gear box went at about 80,000km and a lock needed replacing but apart from that it had no issues and they have over 200,000km on it now.
    Anybody know the average mileage on these?

• Advertisement

I mean the power steering. Basically steering wheel works, but is quite heavy (compared to past), when moving the steering wheel for changing lanes, specially turning on roundabouts/corners.

I am wondering if this is something related to Engine work done by the garage, so I can go back to them.

mikeecho wrote: »

thanks mikeecho for the advice. I am pretty much into similar situation. Already spend a lot in one last year... changed gear box , exhaust flexi, all brakes, tyres, Air con fan, regular servicing and other small stuff. Will consider your advice, thank you for sharing your experience!

I mean the power steering. Basically steering wheel works, but is quite heavy (compared to past), when moving the steering wheel for changing lanes, specially turning on roundabouts/corners.

I am wondering if this is something related to Engine work done by the garage, so I can go back to them.

Yes, I would imagine it’s related to when they swapped the engine. Could be as simple as a loose belt if it has a traditional pump.

Yes, I would imagine it’s related to when they swapped the engine. Could be as simple as a loose belt if it has a traditional pump.

thank you, I rang the garage, he said it could be hydraulic pressure or agreed loose belt, he'll need to look into. I'll post how it goes. thank again!

thank you, I rang the garage, he said it could be hydraulic pressure or agreed loose belt, he'll need to look into. I'll post how it goes. thank again!

Further the garage looked at it, my car power steering is electric (not hydraulic pressure based), they found no issue during test drive and visual inspection, also explained me it could be because I didn't drive for a month this car or drove other newer car may have made me feel that its too heavy.

Do you think you’re being fobbed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I've only read two threads on here where engines were replaced and both didn't work out ...the other guy was the Citroen c5 estate .

So tell me is it really worth the hassle in a ten year old car .

Maybe other people have good experiences??

I rebuilt an engine on a '00 250 euro SAAB 9-5 back in 2013, spent about 1000 for parts and did the work myself. Dad has it now and it's still going strong after another 60k miles put on it since rebuild.

Don't really feel fobbed off, as the guy satisfactorily tested and explained :-)
    But to be honest time will tell, I'll share (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭easyvision

Holy moley, I had one and literally all the problems you mentioned happened!! Had to scrap it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement