Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John Muldoon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Absolute legend. A true stalwart who embodies everything great about Connacht rugby. He's going to leave a huge hole when he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

A real gent and the embodiment of Connacht rugby down through the years. I'm very very sad to see the back of him. Hope all the lads leaving us get the sendoff they deserve next week but Mul and Andrew Browne in particular really deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The man lives and breathes rugby. Delighted he's continuing his career in the sport. The best of luck to him and hopefully he'll be back as head coach of his home province one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Connacht couldn't have asked for a better ambassador on and off the pitch. Hope he has an extremely successful coaching career.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't think any player could have earned a more rewarding medal in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think Muldoon embodies everything that's great about Connacht rugby. Hope it's not his last involvement with the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Giant.

Have no doubt that had he joined one of the other provinces on one of the numerous occasions he was offered, he would have, at the very least, another ten Irish caps. Rare to see such sacrifice when one considers it was very unlikely for the majority of his career that Connacht would win something. Inspirational loyalty.

In fitting Muldoon style, when the opportunity to win something presented itself, he grabbed it with both hands and led his team to a historic win, in a man of the match performance.

Hope his coaching career goes well and to see him back at the Sportsground in Connacht colours once more down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The only time he'll have ever played for anyone outside of Connacht was at under 18 and 20 when Portumna couldnt field. Won an Under 18 All Ireland with Nenagh before playing 20s there and then went on up to Galwegians.

Favourite memory apart from him lifting the pro12 trophy was when he convinced ref to allow lineout against Wasps before getting the win. Captaining at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'll never forget how gutted I was in Edinburgh right up until the Connacht lads came around to where we were in the stand and I saw how happy Muldoon was. You couldn't but smile. Had the pleasure of meeting him a few years back and he's every bit as nice in person as you'd imagine. The level of commitment he's shown Connacht over the years when nobody would have condemned him for heading elsewhere has been something you can't but respect him for. And that penalty against Wasps...... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The commentary clip of the end of that Wasps game, with Keith Wood is well worth a listen if anyone can dig it out.

EDIT: #5 in this. (Heading says "..beat Leinster" but the clip is the Wasps one).

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/the-top-11-irish-sports-radio-moments-of-2016-354765

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Such a legend on and off the pitch. always has time for fans whether after a game or in the front door on a Saturday night. What I'll remember most about him is that his stand out days range from lowly days of the Celtic league in the late 00s, wher e he was invariably heroic in our rare wins (a much celebrated draw with Edinburgh about years ago also springs to mind) to stepping up on the biggest day in the club's history. His superhuman effort and quality was the constant. A badly timed injury stopped him making a real go of his international career as well. Such a pity that this year turned into such a cluster****. but he's leaving the province in a far greater place than the one he came into

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Two words: LEG END

End of an era. Good luck John, and thanks for the memories. Especially this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

Huge admirer of Muldoon, he gave everything for Connacht, I was delighted for him when they won the league a few years back.

Wish him the very best in he future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Beard of the Year Champion in 2013 as well. Some say the process of regrowth during the 2015/16 season was crucial to events in Edinburgh. Other say it was Jamie Heaslip's lack of hurling chops that let Leinster down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

always enjoyed what he brought to the game - embodiement of rugby and the rise of Connacht , parrticularly the success 2 years ago - did he get to play for Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Could easily be argued he's one of the most important men to ever where a rugby shirt in this country for any of the 5 teams who operate here.

I wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't think any player could have earned a more rewarding medal in 2016.

As a Leinster fan I have to agree. Connacht played great rugby that year and I couldn't begrudge Muldoon his success.

Best of luck to him in his coaching career. Came across as a gentleman off the pitch too.

thebaz wrote: »
    always enjoyed what he brought to the game - embodiement of rugby and the rise of Connacht , parrticularly the success 2 years ago - did he get to play for Ireland ?

3 caps I think. Picked up a bad injury on his second. His third he started against the All Blacks and picked up another bad injury, never played for Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »
    3 caps I think. Picked up a bad injury on his second. His third he started against the All Blacks and picked up another bad injury, never played for Ireland again.

Broke his arm in the Allblacks game and continued to make tackles. You could hear the snap in the tackle and it was horrific but he kept going until subbed off. That is the measure of the great man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Broke his arm in the Allblacks game and continued to make tackles. You could hear the snap in the tackle and it was horrific but he kept going until subbed off. That is the measure of the great man.

+1
    That is my main memory of him.. Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

It's very difficult to describe Muldoons integrity, honesty, determination and the sacrfices he made for Connacht.

But if you watch this clip it really sums it up, and how much that day in Edinbrugh meant to him:

He's a gent, and a hero.
    All the coaches that he has gotten through recognised him for the leader that he is.
    I was so happy for him to get his medal in 2016. I'm sure there were hundreds of times throughout his career where he thought he'd never get to win a trophy, and yet he continued to play for Connacht despite having options to move on.
    You still here ex players talk about him so positively.

Wish him all the best this Saturday, and in his future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »

The giant !
    Great work from Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Great video. I may have gotten a small bit of dust in my eye when his niece came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

giphy.gif

Advertisement