Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does a TD have to reply?

• 19-04-2018 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me, is a ministers office bound by any rules about replying to queries by email?

i wrote to Eoghan Murphys office on 31/10/2017

I received a reply saying

"I have been asked by Mr Eoghan Murphy, T.D. Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government, to acknowledge receipt of your recent email in connection with your housing situation. The matter is receiving attention, and a further response will be issued shortly"

I followed up in Feb asking could they define "shortly". Nothing since. Does he have to reply within a certain time frame or is the above all his office is bound by?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I doubt there are any rules regarding replying to correspondence sent to a minister's office. They do have to reply to a parliamentary question though if you can get TD to raise the issue in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

thanks..suppose their party just loses my vote :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I wrote to him too, the same reply! They have lost my vote too, their failure on housing and the scandalous marginal rate, they can go to hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

guile4582 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me, is a ministers office bound by any rules about replying to queries by email?

"I have been asked by Mr Eoghan Murphy, T.D. Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government, to acknowledge receipt of your recent email in connection with your housing situation. The matter is receiving attention, and a further response will be issued shortly"

I followed up in Feb asking could they define "shortly". Nothing since. Does he have to reply within a certain time frame or is the above all his office is bound by?

Thanks
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    I wrote to him too, the same reply! They have lost my vote too, their failure on housing and the scandalous marginal rate, they can go to hell!

It really depends on what you asked them. Do you have copies of the letter you could post?

blanch152 wrote: »
    It really depends on what you asked them. Do you have copies of the letter you could post?

In short I asked him to admit that it is now a reality that it is near impossible for single people to buy in Dublin, making marriage/having a partner with an income a pre reqreset and the market is dysfunctional. Despite the single person having a great income and a large deposit (25k)

Backed up with figures etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

In short I asked him to admit that it is now a reality that it is near impossible for single people to buy in Dublin, making marriage/having a partner with an income a pre reqreset and the market is dysfunctional. Despite the single person having a great income and a large deposit (25k)

I know plenty of single people who have bought.

You’re rant is nonsensical.

Yeah this is true. Take a look at the below for a simple explanation. I don’t agree with the last bit in the video about nimbyism. But they don’t care that you and thousands of others like myself on good enough incomes, can’t afford anything. Sure aren’t the homeless all that matters ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dcbjWGj3jBk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Are you a constituent? Did you give a full name and address?

They won’t reply by email if they don’t know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

guile4582 wrote:
    In short I asked him to admit that it is now a reality that it is near impossible for single people to buy in Dublin, making marriage/having a partner with an income a pre reqresuit and the market is dysfunctional. Despite the single person having a great income and a large deposit (25k)

In many European capitals it is impossible for someone in your position to buy. Why should it be any different here?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So you effectively said to him that Dublin has become typical of European capital cities, and you want him to admit that. Why would he admit the obvious?

Seems like a pointless letter, a rant with no helpful suggestions.

• Advertisement

I know plenty of single people who have bought.

You’re rant is nonsensical.

who said it is a rant? you haven't read the letter. there are other factors that I do not wish to make public knowledge..but in short having 25k and not being able to buy in a commutable distance to work is crazy (i dont work in Dublin city centre)

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Are you a constituent? Did you give a full name and address?

They won’t reply by email if they don’t know who you are.

have emailed all my TD's in my area now

blanch152 wrote: »
    So you effectively said to him that Dublin has become typical of European capital cities, and you want him to admit that. Why would he admit the obvious?

Seems like a pointless letter, a rant with no helpful suggestions.

as mentioned i didnt disclose my whole letter here and it was not a rant, here is a part for you ok. Europe has a far better rental model hence why owing being out of reach isn't as bad

"I believe I have contributed enough and worked hard enough and should be earning enough in order to have my own space. Ok given recent economic problems maybe owning a property is just out of reach. A new reality we must all face. but what about some schemes/plans where I could pay rent and be guaranteed some ownership of the property or get a long lease. "

who said it is a rant? you haven't read the letter. there are other factors that I do not wish to make public knowledge..but in short having 25k and not being able to buy in a commutable distance to work is crazy (i dont work in Dublin city centre)

Have you tried the new scheme that was launched by the government where the council's are providing mortgages for those that can't get approval by mainstream banks?

I understand your complaints, I have a friend in a similar issue, but when there are seemingly an endless list of couples where both work, who are willing to pay market rate for houses, I'm not sure what anyone can do. Nobody will sell to you for 200k when they can get 300k from the couple.

tobsey wrote: »
    Have you tried the new scheme that was launched by the government where the council's are providing mortgages for those that can't get approval by mainstream banks?

I understand your complaints, I have a friend in a similar issue, but when there are seemingly an endless list of couples where both work, who are willing to pay market rate for houses, I'm not sure what anyone can do. Nobody will sell to you for 200k when they can get 300k from the couple.

just above the income cut off :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

€25k isnt that big of a deposit if you’re buying in Dublin.

Assuming the Central Bank limits apply and you’re a first time buyer then to max out your deposit you’d need a salary of c. €65k

A couple on a combined income of €65k will struggle just as much as you to buy anything on current prices.

re:only having 25k and no debt

i'm not done saving..but is there any point putting my life on hold for more years, missing out on my 30s?

anyway gone a bit off topic..got the answer I needed, and good to hear your opinions but there is only one opinion I really want to know as mentioned from the outset

Cheers

just above the income cut off :mad:

So then you're max mortgage in the mainstream banks is about 180k. There are currently 322 properties for sale on Daft with at least 2 bed rooms and under 225k. That's in Dublin City only, not in the surrounding areas. Can you not find something there?

I'm not trying to be harsh either. My wife and I earn over 100k but because we have 4 kids we need to have 3200 left over per month after paying mortgage at 2% above market rate and paying child care. If we want a 90% exemption we need 3600 per month. They don't take Child Benefit into account as income either. They also don't take account of us having near 10 years of mortgage repayments, never missing one, while paying much higher interest than now.

Single first time buyers aren't the only ones that can't buy in Dublin.

i reckon the house for the ad that is 3,861 days ago is gone :)

Thanks

Did you include your full name and postal address? They won’t respond without this. Nor will they reply if you’re not registered to vote at the address given.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »

nail - head - smash! good article thank you

a point missed by the journo though is one day Generation Rent will be such a significant number of voters that something will have to be done. all we can do is hope that is sooner rather than later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

have emailed all my TD's in my area now

Is there a TD or prospective challenger from his own party in your constituency. I'd start there. Often the biggest threat to a TD is from their own side rather than the opposition.

Advertisement