Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Vote

• 18-04-2018 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I know there have been posts regarding the right to a postal vote while on holiday and that it is not allowed but my question is how easy it is to get a letter from employers/ doctor to say you won't be able to attend the polling station.

Is this something someone has done before and not had any issues with?

I am away to assist a family member getting treatment in the uk and although he is covered by current rules I don't fall into that category.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Apart from the fact that being away at the time of the poll doesn't qualify you for a postal vote (unless you are an Irish diplomat posted abroad, or are married to one), there are practical considerations. The electoral register is revised each year in November, and the new register then comes into effect in February. So, to register for a postal vote, you need to apply and demonstrate that you qualify in November, and you will then be entitled to a postal vote starting from the following February. So the system isn't set up to handle people who have a temporary or passing need for a postal vote, like being ill or incapacitated on the day of a particular vote, or having to be at work on that day; it's for people who permanently qualify for a postal vote.

Advertisement