Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy retirement Donncha O'Callaghan

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Absolutely. Never understood why he was released by Munster, when you knew he had so many more years ahead of him.

My kids recognise him from tv programmes. Can't remember what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Hear, hear

Thought the interview with his mam in South Africa was hilarious, you can see where some of the personality comes from.

Suspect he could have a huge career in retirement. That Tv3 show was mixed but to my mind he was more impressive and natural than Mario who has years of broadcast experience under his belt.

Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,987 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

beertons wrote: »
    Absolutely. Never understood why he was released by Munster, when you knew he had so many more years ahead of him.

He spoke about this quite a bit around the time, he'd lost his place so it was his decision to leave and Munster respected that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Pinn Hedde

Seems to have found a niche in media and promotions....a notoriously overcrowded area with an uncertain shelf life !

Agree with the comments about him ...hope he does well ...has a nice personality and outlook .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Luv this guy, how about his red UNDIES? Great player, competed with Leo, POC and Donncha for his caps. Serious competition back then. Hope he does well after rugby.
    When I think of Munster rugby, I think of Moss, Claw, and him. Warrior and fierce competitor, have his all.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Luv this guy, how about his red UNDIES? Great player, competed with Leo, POC and Donncha for his caps. Serious competition back then. Hope he does well after rugby.
    When I think of Munster rugby, I think of Moss, Claw, and him. Warrior and fierce competitor, have his all.

He was also alot more talented than he gives himself credit for. Having the abiliuty to read the game and be in the right positions is as important as anything physical and he always managed to find the right spot on the pitch, just that POC always had the limelight on him meant that DOC didn't get as much credit as he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The Centra ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

He'll have no problem in retirement. A real gent. I'd say the brands are forming a queue to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

For a man who clearly doesn't take himself too seriously, he sure took his rugby seriously. Fair play for keeping going to this stage at this level. Great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So many didn't get to sign off on their own terms. It's no surprise that DOC was able to. Fantastic career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

He was a great servant to Munster rugby, he was great in an Ireland jersey too. The guy has so much charisma- hes a natural on tv. I think he did a kids show for RTE, and was a team leader on The Fittist Family also- my young nephew a big fan. Always game for a laugh an a great guy to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Not many players become a club legend in two clubs. Particularly having spent 17 seasons at the first club!

If you count his two BaaBaas caps, he would sneak into Test centurion list.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The Centra ads?

No, it was a series. It was called "What's your game." He's the most recognisable rugby player in my h o use anyway, they're always saying, ah there he is again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He wanted to leave. With POC and Donnacha Ryan ahead of him and plenty of younger guys around. He wasnt going to get the game time he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is it any coincidence that himself and Stringer - two non-drinkers in the squad - have kept going the longest? I reckon that's what ruined my professional career. Had to retire at the age of (cough) never started.

Fair play to the guy. Had a great career and some great memories and achievements in there too. Days like the Biarritz QF in San Sebastian where himself and POC were hugging each other in tears... leading to days like Biarritz (again) in the '06 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭phog

One of the game's real gentlemen, always made himself available to the fans. He has some career, club, province, country, Lions & the Barbarians and while he had the name of being a messer in the squad he was a professional to a tee.

I wish him the very best in whatever is his next chapter in life. He deserves it.

I saw this on twitter earlier, had forgotten about his block down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

who_me wrote: »
    Is it any coincidence that himself and Stringer - two non-drinkers in the squad - have kept going the longest? I reckon that's what ruined my professional career. Had to retire at the age of (cough) never started.

Didn't help Luke Fitzgerald!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have we been saying his name all wrong?

We say Donn A cha but there's no A in the middle!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Have we been saying his name all wrong?

We say Donn A cha but there's no A in the middle!
    No we're saying it correctly. Though English commentators were often calling him dontcha. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

but there's no A in the middle so why do we say it like there is?

but there's no A in the middle so why do we say it like there is?
    There's no i between r and g in airgead either but we pronounce that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭twinytwo

For some reason I always remember, years ago in a 6nations game against Wales. DOC got stuck in ryan Jones after Jones hit ROG late... if memory serves he didn't do it again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think Munster let him go at the right time for both parties. You can see how highly thought of he is that Worcester made him Club Captain and how fondly they talk of him.

I'm also surprised he's signing off on his own terms given he played like an absolute maniac.

He spotted me out for a run in an Edinburgh training top once and commented that I was a long way from home, I told him I live over there and he replied "ah then you're definitely a long way from your real home"! He wasn't wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think Munster let him go at the right time for both parties. You can see how highly thought of he is that Worcester made him Club Captain and how fondly they talk of him.

I'm also surprised he's signing off on his own terms given he played like an absolute maniac.

He spotted me out for a run in an Edinburgh training top once and commented that I was a long way from home, I told him I live over there and he replied "ah then you're definitely a long way from your real home"! He wasn't wrong.
    Im not surprised he is signing off on his own terms at all considering his attitudes around training. Just like Stringer.
    Munster did let him go right time.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There's no i between r and g in airgead either but we pronounce that too.

I've never pronounced that word in my life!

I've never pronounced that word in my life!
    Probably one of the most common Irish words. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭thehairygrape

phog wrote: »
    I saw this on twitter earlier, had forgotten about his block down.

Was that legal?

Advertisement