Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind and Rain warnings Mon 16 Tues 17 April 2018

• 15-04-2018 7:49pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking like a top end yellow warning for wind tomorrow into Tues . Along with the rain warning has the makings of a nasty day.

tempresult_xvy7.gif

tempresult_hjd2.gif

nmm_uk1-25-36-4_xkq0.png

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Ireland
    South to southeast winds will reach mean speeds between 50 and 65km/h with gusts between 80 and 110km/h. Winds strongest along Atlantic coastal counties at first but the strong winds will extend countrywide through the course of the Monday afternoon and evening.

Issued:Sunday 15 April 2018 14:00
    Valid:Monday 16 April 2018 09:00 to Tuesday 17 April 2018 06:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford
    Rainfall accumulations of 25 to 50mm expected over the period, with the potential for higher amounts on hills and mountains. Localised spot flooding possible.

Issued:Sunday 15 April 2018 13:00
    Valid:Monday 16 April 2018 09:00 to Tuesday 17 April 2018 09:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for South Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford and Wicklow
    Rainfall accumulations of 25 to 40mm expected over the period, with the potential for higher amounts on hills and mountains. Localised spot flooding possible.

Issued:Monday 16 April 2018 18:00
    Valid:Monday 16 April 2018 18:00 to Tuesday 17 April 2018 11:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Any idea how it will pan out over Tuesday in terms of rain? From looking at some models it looks like it will clear off by evening but will it still be heavy up until then? Taking a group of kids camping in the Donegal hills on Tuesday night!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Any idea how it will pan out over Tuesday in terms of rain? From looking at some models it looks like it will clear off by evening but will it still be heavy up until then? Taking a group of kids camping in the Donegal hills on Tuesday night!

Looks breezy/ windy going into Tues evening in Donegal. The ground will be wet after the rain on Mon/Tues. Tues evening looks like showers will peter out towards evening.

To Note looks set to become quite windy again on Weds up along the Western side of the country with a band of quick moving rain.

tempresult_kxg5.gif

tempresult_tkq0.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Other main models for comparison. All very consistent over the last few days.

tempresult_tlx1.gif

tempresult_fml9.gif

tempresult_vdw7.gif

kmUi1H8.png

The Jet back in action.

qrOdrex.gif?1

• Advertisement

Accumulation predictions from the main models. Spring tides around Tues. Big seas pushed in from the Storm.

OFph2vP.png

1eoAIXJ.png

wcj8sXw.png

eWWY1QI.png

IGllHVz.png

tempresult_vhk7.gif

nww3uk-0-42_mqb6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That could have been pretty severe if it had hit couldn't it? I'm assuming the fact the jet is further north and the warm air pushing up is keeping the main part of it away? Still looks like pretty bad rain and wind coming for us down south, Hopefully the wind won't be very bad here in Cork, will have to go down and check on my home across from the coast this weekend otherwise. Looks borderline orange though if i read them correctly.

Yea massive storm with a huge wind field. As it starts to unravel we get a fair lick of it all the same with the jet helping the winds along.

Nassa Sat Pic From earlier today

MKhNv9s.jpg?1

Most recent Sat pic

grx4nKz.jpg

6k65i3R.jpg?1

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/985639969040556032

• Registered Users Posts: 22,215 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Has this missed us or is it due to start later.

No sign of anything at all here in Ennis

Wind has picked up a lot in Cork City with strong consistent breezes and strong gusts occasionlly along with some very dark clouds moving in. Very storm like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wind certainly on the rise here now. 40-50KPH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can someone explain to me why the weather radar shows rain passing over Galway and yet we have not had any rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been gusting and roaring most of the day here; West Mayo coastal/offshore island . Hoped it would pass by now.... ah well.. rain sheeting across frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Portuguese have named it Irene which the media seem to be running with. Going to get very confusing if this keeps happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why the weather radar shows rain passing over Galway and yet we have not had any rain.

You have kind of answered it there yourself.

Just finished school now so csn post. Shocking weather here in Cork City. Wind was shaking the windows and the rain was torrential. It calmed down a bit now , still raining but expecting it to pick up again possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This has to be the most impressive April storm I've seen in the Atlantic basin to reach us since Easter Monday 2010.

fLBUIV6.jpg

UKMO fax chart reanalysis for 00:00 on 5th April 2010.

BRA_1_2010040500_45.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Really strange here West of Galway - hardly any rain. Looking at the radar animation it's as if the rain is breaking up as it reaches land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gusty and wet in Castlebar since around 10.00, no let up in the rain, but no real heavy showers either.

Discodog wrote: »
    Really strange here West of Galway - hardly any rain. Looking at the radar animation it's as if the rain is breaking up as it reaches land.

Hitting hard here now;West Mayo Coast. Offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

No major rain in east Galway yet

Wind rising even more; whistling now. West Mayo coast.; offshore island

Pelting down here in Cork since about 2ish with a break around 4ish for about 10 mins. Still very windy also. Garden is a bog again. Still looks like more is to come as well.

Valentia Observatory has already recorded around 25mm of rain according to Joanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Valentia Observatory has already recorded around 25mm of rain according to Joanna.

Now 33mm and still raining

pauldry wrote: »
    Now 33mm and still raining

Could I ask where these measurements are found? Looking at ME's site I can't seem to find them. Thanks!

Heavy rain showing up on the radar, mostly over higher ground I would imagine. 18.6mm approx here near Tralee so far, very dull low cloud evening, was tipping down a short time ago at 8mm/hr. Lights flickering here, dont see any sferics only those a few hundred Kms offf the coast.

4lCuQC9.png?1

Very gusty at Grange, feels like the windiest conditions since Georgina on 23rd/24th January.

You'd think it was Autumn or Winter, not the middle of April with these wind gusts.

• Advertisement

Could I ask where these measurements are found? Looking at ME's site I can't seem to find them. Thanks!

Got 25mm from RTÉ Weather Six One. See Villain's tweet here as proof showing it:

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/985941447470911488

Advertisement