Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost in Space (Netflix) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ah ok. The last 15 minutes or so of the first episode picked things up a notch. I like this take on the robot. I quite like Will in this too. Not too keen on the rest of the family yet though I did like how the mother had that deal in place. In fairness to them they do seem to be spending time to set up interesting characters. The last few minutes though... that was great, and yes it's clear now, they ARE lost afterall. Wonder was that
    the same robot/alien

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Looking forward to watching this over the weekend, looks like they spent mega bucks on it

tenor.gif

Anyone under a certain age will not have a clue what that means!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

The music is so ridiculous in this it's great music but it's way to over the top for what's happening and it feels like it's just constantly bombastic when there's nothing actiony going on lol

An example a girl character drops her necklace so guy character proceeds to take 10 steps to pick up the necklace and during this a dark knight action theme style music with drums is pounding lol

Characters aren't connecting for me either it's well made but sure that's no good if the story is boring and characters are crap.

The family also seems really chilled out about all the stuff that's happened to them so far and all the amazing stuff they see is nothing to them you'd think they have spent a few hours in the plex the way there going on lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's terribly dull so far. Just OK but falls way short of expectations for me....very stilted, drab, and just generally uninspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's more of a remake of Earth 2 than Lost in Space for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I watched the first episode and had absolutely zero desire to continue..

.. looks superb but that's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah agree with last few posts. Found it very boring

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I've just finished it. It's alright, nothing spectacular but it's watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

On episode 3....i normally love Parker Posey... But she is kind of atrocious in this, I don't mind rest of the cast and it looks fantastic especially the robot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Just finished all 10. The season is one big foundation for whatever is to come in the future and honestly it did a great job. I enjoyed most of it despite some obvious issues but it's a new series set in space and that alone will get a pass on some of the meh elements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Just finished all 10. The season is one big foundation for whatever is to come in the future and honestly it did a great job. I enjoyed most of it despite some obvious issues but it's a new series set in space and that alone will get a pass on some of the meh elements
    but the expanse is back ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Watched the first episode, excellent start, don't get why some people are a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

but the expanse is back ffs!

thank you so much, didnt realise it was back :D around 3 episodes into this and its nothing amazing so far, hopefully it picks up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Finished it now and while it had a few issues, overall I really enjoyed it and hope it gets a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Same here, just finished a binge watch (my first ever genuine weekend binge watch) and really enjoyed it.

Funnily enough this binge interrupted my watching of "The Man in the High Castle" season 2, and the Japanese trade minister (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa ) is in both Netflix series...

Finished now - don't understand all the negative reviews, was never gonna be an absolute copy of the original - they took the core idea's/theme that's all, nearly every reboot is the same (but get the Earth 2 similarities). Liking Dr Smith
    Hoping for a second series

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It looks fantastic, but I'd agree with others in that it drags. A lot. The pacing is all over the place, but mostly very sluggish when it shouldn't be and rushed when it shouldn't be. I reckon you could have edited it down to five maybe six episodes and it would have been so much better. Didn't like Dr Smith character. Ham acting over a script that doesn't really explain much.

Oh and the original was pure sh1te. :D No really try and force your way through one episode. Hokey 60's tat without the brains or heart of a Star Trek.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Started it with the kids last night and got two episodes in. The 9 year old wants a robot of her own!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Sleepy wrote: »
    Started it with the kids last night and got two episodes in. The 9 year old wants a robot of her own!

4 eps in with my 2 ten-year-olds. They love it. It's good to see a program like this which is suitable to watch with kids. There are not too many of them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

5 episodes in and it has gotten better - the initial episode was a major dud and needed way better visual flair, pacing, character development, etc.

But while I know every show needs a villian, the 'pantomine' Dr Smith villian in this is utterly ridiculous. We're stranded on the cusp of death 600 million light years from home but of course, rather than repent and adapt this former lowlife criminal has to continue her ways and undermine everything for absolutely zero credible reason whatsoever, contextually or otherwise.

Could've been brilliant and stood alongside the likes of Battlestar and The Expanse, but instead they chose to massively ham it up and it suffers. Still very watchable and entertaining but falls way short of what it easily could've been. I can see why younger audiences would love it though.

• Advertisement

5 episodes in and it has gotten better - the initial episode was a major dud and needed way better visual flair, pacing, character development, etc.

But while I know every show needs a villian, the 'pantomine' Dr Smith villian in this is utterly ridiculous. We're stranded on the cusp of death 600 million light years from home but of course, rather than repent and adapt this former lowlife criminal has to continue her ways and undermine everything for absolutely zero credible reason whatsoever, contextually or otherwise.

Could've been brilliant and stood alongside the likes of Battlestar and The Expanse, but instead they chose to massively ham it up and it suffers. Still very watchable and entertaining but falls way short of what it easily could've been. I can see why younger audiences would love it though.

The reason I bailed on episode 2 , I could see it coming. No reason to screw that guy over for a flare. Ok they had to carry a lady but still how could she know she'd do better on her own? You've no food at least steal the chicken ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Anyone who thinks Posey Parker's Dr Smith is dangerously irrational to an unrealistic degree has clearly never met my sister.

I've enjoyed it, it got better as it went along, I'm looking forward to season 2. It cleared the nasty taste of Altered Carbon's woefulness out of my mouth, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I’m only 4 episodes in and Penny is my favorite. The most realistic character and a great sense of humor.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh and the original was pure sh1te. :D No really try and force your way through one episode. Hokey 60's tat without the brains or heart of a Star Trek.

Blasphemy blasphemy . Oh the pain, the pain.

Silence you ninny! :pac:

Blasphemy blasphemy . Oh the pain, the pain.

Silence you ninny! :pac:

What's that saying, if you remember it you weren't there or something like that. I think the original has that oldy worldy charm, Dr Smith was a good character - Mr Irwin had a great mind for scifi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i thought it was quite intense as a 6 year old :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first episode last night and I really enjoyed it; definitely one of Netflix's flashier and more openly cinematic of pilot episodes (it was directed by Neil Marshall, veteran of many movies, and currently directing the new Hellboy film). It looked fantastic and as if an fortune was spent on it.

Like others, I hold no love for the original show & even as a kid found it inane, so I'm watching the show without any preconceptions or bias. The family unit had just the right amount of strife and cracks across its facade, with plenty of open wounds/questions that I look forward to being explored.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pixelburp wrote: »
    The family unit had just the right amount of strife and cracks across its facade, with plenty of open wounds/questions that I look forward to being explored.

I wouldn't want Eastenders in Space either :pac: , the show sounds good though must check it out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is it the case that the robot imprinted on the boy when he put it back together? I was only half watching the episode - I saw him cut it out of the tree and the next thing was they were rescuing the family. Obviously I missed several minutes in between and I could go back and watch it but I'm not particularly inclined to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Nooooooooooooo, as a child of the 1950's I adored it, though to be honest I was watching it from behind the sofa. It was so scary.

Not taken with this new version yet. Only two episodes in and it's a bit meh.

Advertisement