Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You Were Never Really Here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Surprised this hasn't got a thread yet, the new film from Lynne Ramsey starring always great Joaquin Phoenix, which was coming off massive wins in Cannes and some great reviews. A traumatized veteran, unafraid of violence, tracks down missing girls for a living. When a job spins out of control, Joe's nightmares overtake him as a conspiracy is uncovered leading to what may be his death trip or his awakening.

I was quite taken aback by this film, I went in expecting something more in the lines of Taxi Driver or Drive but got something completely different overall. This is more of a study of a character then anything to do with plot, as I read from a reviewer from a Variety "this more concerned with the man then the hit". The cinematography was beautiful and the soundtrack from Jonny Greenwood is excellent as usual. The Sound design is some of the best you hear from a film. I loved that went against tropes of where normally these type of stories go
    You fully expect Joe at the end to get revenge on Alessandro Nivola's (only in the film for more then a 1 minute if that) Senator for killing his Mother and people around him and to save the young girl, in most films you get a bloody violent ending. But no you don't see Joe take out any of the Senator's bodyguard's and when you think he get his hands on the film's villain, he's already had his throat slit by the girl he's there to rescue
    . I can see some people been massively disappointed in that but I loved it. Also loved the scene when
    Joe kills the two guys who killed his mother and waiting for him to come home. After he kills one and fatally wounds the other. Instead of finishing off the guy like in most films, he lays on the floor beside him, sings a song with him and holds his hand.

Joaquin Phoenix pretty much carries the film on his shoulders, and probably delivers one of his best performances. You only get to see Joe's backstory in snippet's throughout the film
    He was abused by his father with a hammer, He was solider and has PSTD and that he was involved in human trafficking
    but you can see it on Phoenix's face that Joe's been through some stuff in his life. I loved the small clips you see of him with his ailing mother. If anyone has seen the film can anyone answer this is Joe
    Gay, cause you see a clip of him in a room with a big burly guy but I don't know if that's him thinking of his dad and he mentions he had a girlfriend 20 years ago

Aside from Phoenix, the performance from Ekaterina Samsonov as Nina was very striking. I really find it mind boggling that the film has a 18 cert, I've seen more violent action films that got a 16. I assume it's cause of it's subject matter dealing with Child prostitution. But it's not terribly violent film. I think a 16 cert would have been more suiting. But overall a fantastic film that won't be to everyone's taste's. 9/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Threads merged!

What I wrote about the film after seeing it at DIFF:

You Were Never Really Here is a fierce bit of filmmaking. The sound is awesomely abrasive blaring out of the cinema speakers (for the love of god see it in a cinema) - sits alongside Good Time as one of the recent films to truly pay reverent attention to the benefits of strong sound design, as well as its carefully-deployed absence. Snappy editing that largely leaves the violence off screen packs a punch, while the plot is like any number of inferior 'man on a mission' films with the fat trimmed off & the perspectives made trickier. Adored its aggressive use of smash cut flashbacks to fill in a troubled past through vivid images rather than overt explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just back from it there.

My nerves are completely shot.

Jesus Christ, what a movie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw this last night, and it was phenomenal. Fantasticnuse of sound and editing to tell the story with the focus on the protagonist, rather than being on the action specifically as might normally be expected given the incident that motivates the plot. And a phenomenal performance from Phoenix for it all to be built on.

In a way it reminds me of Blue Ruin. It's also probably the best version of Hotline Miami: The Movie that we'll ever see. Which is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

I don't get to the cinema much so when I do go I feel this pressure to pick the *right* film. Well, I am so pleased with myself today! This movie is phenomenal. My hair was standing on end throughout and for a good while after. Phoenix is a terrible avenging angel, equal parts pathos and mercilessness. Can't recommend enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought the bit where
    you see Nina's Dad meeting with Williams could have been elaborated on a bit more as I didn't get it at the time that he sold her into prostitution in the first place. As I didn't get this I didn't know why Joe was freaking out so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

Excellent all round, thoroughly enjoyed it..

Short, sharp, tight film that packs a punch. Great use of sound, CCTV-style footage and flashbacks. And implied and not so implied violence. Great acting too.

Think some will not like that it doesn't answer all questions or tidy it all up but I think it adds to it.

Will definitely see it again in the cinema. Thank god films like this are still being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Saw this last night off of the back of recommendations in this thread. So thanks to you all for your excellent reviews.

You Were Never Really Here - 8/10

Ultra ambiguous, snail paced thriller starring Joaquin Phoenix. It's not often you get a film with such a short running time move at such a glacial pace, but it really adds to the impact when it explodes into life. You are with the protagonist every painstaking trudge of the way.

It's directed by Lynne Ramsay ('We Need To Talk About Kevin') who clearly has a lot of flair for visual storytelling. It's a masterclass in marrying together visuals, sound design and editing. There's some real craft on show here and there are a few sequences that are technically complex but executed brilliantly.

The highlight of the film is the incredible sound design. Jonny Greenwood is quickly becoming some kind of technical movie music genius. His work on this and Phantom thread deserves more recognition, he is clearly come kind of sound wizard.

This won't be to everyone's taste, especially those who like things to be fleshed out with explanations. I found it to be a real feast for the eyes and ears. You never really know where its going and there's a great sense of brooding dread throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

A short (80 minutes) but excellent movie with fantastic acting, editing and sound and, importantly, it skillfully avoids clichéd scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Looper007 wrote: »

Joaquin Phoenix pretty much carries the film on his shoulders, and probably delivers one of his best performances. You only get to see Joe's backstory in snippet's throughout the film
    He was abused by his father with a hammer, He was solider and has PSTD and that he was involved in human trafficking
    but you can see it on Phoenix's face that Joe's been through some stuff in his life. I loved the small clips you see of him with his ailing mother. If anyone has seen the film can anyone answer this is Joe
    Gay, cause you see a clip of him in a room with a big burly guy but I don't know if that's him thinking of his dad and he mentions he had a girlfriend 20 years ago

I don't think he's
    gay
    . A common feature of PTSD is to look for threats that aren't even there, and sometimes people lose their sex drive /become asexual. The reference to the gf. Though he could be, its just an interpretation. The other thing I think backs this up, the looking for threats thing, is the
    photo taking scene.

Anyway, the movies pretty good, and a big improvement on her last film, but it's missing something. I don't know what, but let's be honest lads. Phoenix carries this film and then some.

Probably because it feels it should be longer. More that should have been developed, wasn't perhaps.

Actually, did anyone catch
    what medication exactly Joe was taking?

• Advertisement

A blistering, brutal and unflinching piece of cinema with some of the best sound design in years. It's rare to see such an accomplished and confident film come out of left field and destroy everything around it. It's what great cinema is all about, an abrupt and violent assault on the senses, shot for the catering budget of most blockbusters it manages in just over 80 minutes to tackle some serious issues in a nuanced and adult manner and has more inspired visual flourishes, ideas and jaw-dropping moments of levity than the entire Marvel universe combined. Seriously, it's a sin that a film this good is going to be largely ignored while some cookie cutter fodder later this year will be the newest biggest film ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Didn't really enjoy it. Mostly all style with very little attention to substance.
    What there was of a plot was laughable. Or at least the backdrop was. Politicians kidnapping and pimping out other politician's daughters? Felt like I was watching some bad 70's flick at times. Not in the least believable.

The scenes with his mother were interesting but it felt like they were part of a much different, and more interesting, film. The "I've Never Been to Me" scene didn't work for me either. It takes skill to inject dark humour into a film with such a serious subject matter and at certain times it did it quite well but that particular scene was laughable and indeed that's what the audience does: they laugh. Felt more like watching an outtake.

It's been a month or so since I seen the film now and all I am left with are memories of different scenes. Not an overall feeling towards a complete film. And that about sums it up as there are some great scenes in the film but great scenes do not a great film make. It's edgy and stylish too though and for some I guess that's enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Why would a high ranking member of the US political class hire a veteran with PTSD to track down their abducted daughter instead of calling the police/FBI?
    I'm thinking Nina wasn't really the senator's daughter.

Anyway, fantastic film. Will probably be my favourite film of the year.

In an AMA Ramsay say her dream project is Blood Meridian. Omg, what a perfect match of director and author that would be. Hope it happens but I guess it's unlikely.

Why would a high ranking member of the US political class hire a veteran with PTSD to track down their abducted daughter instead of calling the police/FBI?

There's a line of dialogue in the film explaining it all. They talk of how they buy and sell them on after they are done heavily implying that she isn't his.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's a line of dialogue in the film explaining it all. They talk of how they buy and sell them on after they are done heavily implying that she isn't his.

And wasn't there a few shots of them together implying that as well?

And wasn't there a few shots of them together implying that as well?

I think her reaction to the news in the hotel room says so much. Would be interested in seeing what Ramsey cut, she's talked about losing 20 pages as they hadn't the money and I wonder if she had planned to explore the world of trafficking more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Watched this over the weekend, very enjoyable and a great performance from Joaquin Phoenix.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You_Were_Never_Really_Here.png

I love the poster for it, it's a piece of art itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Only got around to watching this last night, it's up on Netflix if anyone hasn't caught it yet I would highly recommend it.

Phoenix just carries this film for the full 90 with a fantastic performance, the intensity of it reminds me of Joker.

Bit disappointed I missed this in the cinema, though watching it in the dark with the headphones turned up did help. :D

Advertisement