Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT with no log book!

• 03-04-2017 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!
    We booked our NCT and can't find the logbook.
    Is it true that they will put the car through the test but won't give you the cert of you pass or do they refuse to carry out the test?
    If they do put it through the test do they give you the fail sheet?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

They may fail you for having no VRC/logbook without doing the test.
    You can apply for a duplicate VRC from your local motor tax office - https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF134_en.pdf

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I believe they will test it but won't issue the cert till you produce the log book

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Skatedude wrote: »
    I believe they will test it but won't issue the cert till you produce the log book

Any idea about the fail sheet of it fails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Had it with me but was never asked for it, just handed in license but car was in my name or wigea name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

had mine done last month, I'd no log book, and no problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Have NCTed both my car & the wife's without the log book, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I forgot it once, they asked for it and I said I didn't have it - but they still let me through the test. I guess it's up to their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Not needed. Just the DL for the person bringing the car and payment. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I tested my jeep and they held the cert until I got a replacement out.

We found it. It would be great if people didn't put things a hide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glad you found it.

To settle the debate, it is asked for by NCT FAQ but the tester/receptionist might let you off.
    Don't forget to bring your vehicle registration book, registration certificate or licensing certificate and your test fee!
    https://www.ncts.ie/faq/
    Or they may hold the cert until you produce.

Just because someone got let off once doesn't mean everyone will be let off all the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have to ask these questions which are a little off thread

Why do they require you to have the log book , but really why do they require you to have ID ?

It's the car being tested so they do they need to know who you are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I havn't been asked for the log book the last 4 or 5 times I've gone.
    I don't really see the point, are there people robbing cars and NCT'ing them :confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Doing nct right now and I was asked for log book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Not been asked for the VLC the last 5 or 6 times I've brought cars for nct but I always bring it anyway, as I have been asked before for it.

Unless it's lost, it's hardly an inconvenience...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

have mine today and no log book.  really hope not asked.

BW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

have mine today and no log book. really hope not asked.

BW
    Had my NCT a few days ago and they don't seem to look for the logbook anymore.

I started this thread last year and now I'm thinking where's the log book again for the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭amber2

have mine today and no log book.  really hope not asked.

BW

Drivers license is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I started this thread last year and now I'm thinking where's the log book again for the NCT.

It's likely that it isn't in the same place as last year because you would have thought "where shall we put this for safety and ease of finding"

Good luck on the hunt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

amber2 wrote: »
    Drivers license is all you need.
    Not true, Ive been twice this year in Ballymun and asked for the log book.

Wasn't asked last year though, depends on the person at the desk on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi!
    We booked our NCT and can't find the logbook.
    Is it true that they will put the car through the test but won't give you the cert of you pass or do they refuse to carry out the test?
    If they do put it through the test do they give you the fail sheet?
    Thanks in advance!

I was never asked to produce logbook during NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Depends who's behind the desk.
    The lad I got didn't ask for anything just the keys.
    While the person after me was asked for everything,licence, logbook,keys what they had for breakfast: p!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I always get asked for DL, log book and the car key to be removed from the bunch of keys. I normally do anyway as there's about 10 car keys on it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Haven't been asked for a logbook in about 6 years and I NCT about 10 cars a year

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can get lucky and not get asked, but it is a requirement so see if you can find it, as my post from last year. It is an important document.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

If they ask for it and you don't have it what's the outcome? Won't test or test and you don't get the pass cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

honda boi wrote: »
    Depends who's behind the desk.
    The lad I got didn't ask for anything just the keys.
    While the person after me was asked for everything,licence, logbook,keys what they had for breakfast: p!!

Should of said the logbook if they didn't have it with them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭amber2

You will still pass without it, you are supposed to be able to proceduce a VLC if required but if you don’t they can’t fail you for it.

Advertisement