Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Northern Ireland Commonwealth team announced

• 03-01-2018 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Paul Pollock|Mens Marathon
    Kevin Seaward|Mens Marathon
    Emma Mitchell| 10,000m
    Adam Kirk Smith|3,000m Steeplechase
    Ciara Mageean|1500m
    Leon Reid|200m
    Ben Reynolds| 110m Hurdles
    Sommer Lecky|High Jump
    Adam McMullen| Long Jump
    Kate O'Connor| Heptathlon
    Dempsey McGuigan|Hammer
    Jack Agnew|T54 1500m

A very strong team and some great championship experience for the likes of Lecky and O'Connor.

Pity to not see Graham get the nod as she was on the cusp but still good to see many of these athletes who would normally be donning the Irish Singlet at Global Championships. Hopefully there can be some good performances from the likes of Mageean or the marathon lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Paul Pollock|Mens Marathon
    Kevin Seaward|Mens Marathon
    Emma Mitchell| 10,000m
    Adam Kirk Smith|3,000m Steeplechase
    Ciara Mageean|1500m
    Leon Reid|200m
    Ben Reynolds| 110m Hurdles
    Sommer Lecky|High Jump
    Adam McMullen| Long Jump
    Kate O'Connor| Heptathlon
    Dempsey McGuigan|Hammer
    Jack Agnew|T54 1500m

A very strong team and some great championship experience for the likes of Lecky and O'Connor.

Pity to not see Graham get the nod as she was on the cusp but still good to see many of these athletes who would normally be donning the Irish Singlet at Global Championships. Hopefully there can be some good performances from the likes of Mageean or the marathon lads.

After looking back there was one major omission from the team that I can see

Amy Foster who had ran under the standard numerous times last year and by her own standard will feel hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

After looking back there was one major omission from the team that I can see

Amy Foster who had ran under the standard numerous times last year and by her own standard will feel hard done by.

3 seperate times according to her IG account? That seems poxy on the girl

Games have gotten underway

Dempsey McGuigan with a super 6th place after his 2nd best throw ever (9th farthest throw in Irish history)

In the Women's 100m Amy Foster safely through to Semi Finals with a 2nd place auto qualifier behind Ahye in here heat (11.59 in +2.1 wind)

New NI record from Emma Mitchell in the 10,000m in a time of 32.49.91 to finish 15th overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Mageann through to 1500m final too....just! 6th place in 4.07.

• Advertisement

Do we count former posters for the awards here? Track and Field Performance of the year could be well and truly sown up :D

Former poster/lurker here narrowly missed out on a medal in Gold Coast this morning by 1/1000th of a second

Ciara racing in the final now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When they replace the battery in the stop watch.

Well she went for it but the pace was pretty fast, and she faded with 300m to go, finishing 2nd last. 4.07 is not a bad time but I doubt she will be happy. Semenya won in 4 flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

pconn062 wrote: »
    Well she went for it but the pace was pretty fast, and she faded with 300m to go, finishing 2nd last. 4.07 is not a bad time but I doubt she will be happy. Semenya won in 4 flat.

13th in the Commonwealth final is poor for somebody of her talents, particularly in such a weak field. 4:07 is nothing special given she ran 4:09 at the World Juniors when she was 18!

Not sure where she goes from here. Has regressed badly since 2016.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    13th in the Commonwealth final is poor for somebody of her talents, particularly in such a weak field. 4:07 is nothing special given she ran 4:09 at the World Juniors when she was 18!

Not sure where she goes from here. Has regressed badly since 2016.

Yeah, something ain't clicking for her unfortunately, but then again she's not in her new setup that long. It's a shame as I really like her and think she deserves a good run at it. I think her flat out speed is an issue, when they kicked today she was left for dead, even compared to the 5k girls like McColgan and Steph Twell.

Yeah, something ain't clicking for her unfortunately, but then again she's not in her new setup that long. It's a shame as I really like her and think she deserves a good run at it. I think her flat out speed is an issue, when they kicked today she was left for dead, even compared to the 5k girls like McColgan and Steph Twell.

She had great finishing speed back at the 2016 Euros. Something seems amiss right now. Hopefully things click into place as the summer progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

She had great finishing speed back at the 2016 Euros. Something seems amiss right now. Hopefully things click into place as the summer progresses.

Any injuries over the last few years that could of hampered her speed?

Just comparing the events a little further

* 2016 had a day between heats and final
    * Qualifying times = 4.13.61 (2016) vs 4.07.78 (2018)
    * Time in final = 4.33.78 (2016) vs 4.07.41 (2018)
    * 1st 800m in race = 2.46 (2016) vs 2.11 (2018)

Strength seems to have developed a good bit and perhaps off a slow pace she might have that speed. Initially i was thinking she seems to be developing into a stronger runner and consistency is coming along.

Could be some decent times off one off GP meetings in the summer. The event has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years though and realistically you need to be getting into 4.01-4.02 shape to be competitive even at European Level (Muir, Hassan, Klosterhaulfen, Cichocka, Ennauoi, McColgan just to name a few)

even compared to the 5k girls like McColgan and Steph Twell.

Should be noted that McColgan is only marginally slower than Mageean's PB (4.01.60 vs 4.01.41)

Just comparing the events a little further

* 2016 had a day between heats and final
    * Qualifying times = 4.13.61 (2016) vs 4.07.78 (2018)
    * Time in final = 4.33.78 (2016) vs 4.07.41 (2018)
    * 1st 800m in race = 2.46 (2016) vs 2.11 (2018)

Strength seems to have developed a good bit and perhaps off a slow pace she might have that speed. Initially i was thinking she seems to be developing into a stronger runner and consistency is coming along.

Could be some decent times off one off GP meetings in the summer. The event has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years though and realistically you need to be getting into 4.01-4.02 shape to be competitive even at European Level (Muir, Hassan, Klosterhaulfen, Cichocka, Ennauoi, McColgan just to name a few)

I don’t buy it tbh. Event has moved on, but Mageean has moved backwards. She’s losing to the caliber of women she would be beating easily in 2016. I really don’t share the optimism for the future that some may hold. Hopefully I’m wrong.

When is the Men's marathon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Middle of the night Saturday /Sunday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I don’t buy it tbh. Event has moved on, but Mageean has moved backwards. She’s losing to the caliber of women she would be beating easily in 2016. I really don’t share the optimism for the future that some may hold. Hopefully I’m wrong.

When i saw her in athlone last year ago, i thought she didnt look as physically strong compared to the others she was competed against.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mageean ran 2:03 for 7th in her 800m heat and was eliminated.

Kate O'Connor is 9 pts ahead of her PB schedule after 2 events of the Heptathlon. She's currently only 42 pts behind the Irish record which is 5801, so she could come close to breaking it.

• Advertisement

Menapians Leon Reid looks to be upgraded to Bronze following Hughes DQ

O'Connor is now 55 pts behind her PB schedule, but her 2nd day is usually very good.

Great run by Reid. Does he qualify for Ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Great result for Reid. Didn't know a whole lot about him until this week, he did an interview on Hyperformace podcast a few days ago which is a good enough listen. 
    Hope he gets cleared to represent Ireland soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Great result for Reid. Didn't know a whole lot about him until this week, he did an interview on Hyperformace podcast a few days ago which is a good enough listen. 
    Hope he gets cleared to represent Ireland soon.
    Still listed as a UK athlete on the Power of 10 rankings 100m and 200m and still eligible for UK as he has not worn an Irish singlet yet 
    http://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=200&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2018

O'Connor dropped 33 pts in the Long jump and gained 51 in the Javelin, so she's on schedule for 5729.

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Still listed as a UK athlete on the Power of 10 rankings 100m and 200m and still eligible for UK as he has not worn an Irish singlet yet 
    http://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=200&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2018

Currently still not eiligible due to the transfer freeze currently in place by IAAF. Caught in limbo at the moment.

5695 pts for O'Connor in the end. Good for 8th. Good experience for her, still only 17.

Pollock out again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

Pollock out again

Cursed? Self inflicted with the high risk stuff? - Hard to find the balance I suppose

• Advertisement

Shocking stuff watching it live. I hope he didn't injure himself.

Seaward 4th in the end.

Advertisement