Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Route to run in Dublin?

• 12-04-2018 11:07am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm up in Dublin on Saturday and I got about 6hours to kill and I can't bring myself to walk around shops etc for the day so I'm aiming to just do a LSR when I'm waiting to fill at least some of the time!

Problem is, other then Dublin marathon/half I've not run around Dublin before.
    Any suggested routes that are not the phoenix park?

I was thinking of maybe making my way to coast and checking out Poolbeg lighthouse so I've never seen that part of Dublin, I'm thinking out to the lighthouse from around phoenix park, some miles around Sandymount Beach back to the near the phoenix park should give me near 20miles.

Any straight forward routes to do considering I don't know Dublin that well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm up in Dublin on Saturday and I got about 6hours to kill and I can't bring myself to walk around shops etc for the day so I'm aiming to just do a LSR when I'm waiting to fill at least some of the time!

Problem is, other then Dublin marathon/half I've not run around Dublin before.
    Any suggested routes that are not the phoenix park?

I was thinking of maybe making my way to coast and checking out Poolbeg lighthouse so I've never seen that part of Dublin, I'm thinking out to the lighthouse from around phoenix park, some miles around Sandymount Beach back to the near the phoenix park should give me near 20miles.

Any straight forward routes to do considering I don't know Dublin that well?

That's a fairly solid route, just be careful of tides around sandymount. It's about a 10km loop from the gaa club to lighthouse and back.

The other option is to run out toward clontarf along coast road to Sutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

crisco10 wrote: »
    That's a fairly solid route, just be careful of tides around sandymount. It's about a 10km loop from the gaa club to lighthouse and back.

The other option is to run out toward clontarf along coast road to Sutton.

You only need to worry about the tides at Sandymount if you're planning to run on the sand itself. If you run along the promenade, that's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

If you get the day, ie not too blowy on the seafront, would you head Northside to the amazing St Anne's? It's a wonderful place to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Make sure to head out to the light house via path between GAA club and beach that takes you to nature reserve. Lovely trail.

The road via power station is awful given the stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Djoucer wrote: »
    Make sure to head out to the light house via path between GAA club and beach that takes you to nature reserve. Lovely trail.

The road via power station is awful given the stink.[/QUOTE]

Like something from Love/Hate. I went that way the first time in search of this amazing nature reserve. I thought I'd be dead in a ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

If you do decide to run to the lighthouse can I just warn you to be really careful as the pathway there is very uneven. I had a very bad fall on a run there recently, despite having run that route regularly and so being very conscious of the bad surface. Sandymount to the lighthouse, through the nature reserve, is a lovely route though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyone show me what way I'd be entering the nature reserve from quays direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

South to Dalkey as far as Colliemore Island and back again? Route would look something like this: route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Anyone show me what way I'd be entering the nature reserve from quays direction?

More than 1 way to do so, but those would be my personal preferences, depending whether you are coming along the northern or southern side of the Liffey. I prefer going through Ringsend and Sean Moore park. It's not the shortest route but I prefer parks to streets.

448068.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 to going through the Parks, when you get to the end of the path in Sean Moore park you'll see the beach in front, the main road to your right, just take the path around to the left and follow that all the way to end then turn around and come back the same way. Going over the East Link is nicer than through Grand canal plaza IMO.

Krusty's route is even better though if you have the time to go to Dalkey it's pretty breathtaking. I'd even consider starting from The Point if distance is an issue from the Phoenix Park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So in the end I went this route https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2623366125

I ended up going down by Poolbeg Power station via Ringsend park....not the best area to run through but I'll learn from that as it was far more industrial then I thought it would be, then onto poolbeg lighthouse and back and then out and back on a part of Strand Road. Total of 20miles but I already had 12miles from a faster run from the day before.

I'll be back up again in May to Dublin with another day to kill so I'll def aim go do Dalkey out and back from city centre via the coast, the coast was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Just caught your post now. If you're in Dublin again , Id recommend the coastline from Clontarf all the way to Sutton ( and onto Howth of you fancy a hill!). Hardly any stoppages for traffic lights etc. You've also got the option of footpath or sand along bull island. Or turn into St annes park for some grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

So in the end I went this route https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2623366125

I ended up going down by Poolbeg Power station via Ringsend park....not the best area to run through but I'll learn from that as it was far more industrial then I thought it would be, then onto poolbeg lighthouse and back and then out and back on a part of Strand Road. Total of 20miles but I already had 12miles from a faster run from the day before.

I'll be back up again in May to Dublin with another day to kill so I'll def aim go do Dalkey out and back from city centre via the coast, the coast was lovely

Did that myself on Saturday. Ran from Swords to Dalkey and doubled back to the 40 foot and hopped in for a cool down dip. (wife met me there with clothes) 20 miles in total and lovely views and change of scenery.

Advertisement