Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uber and conjestion

• 07-04-2018 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭

For all who think ride sharing and self driving will cure all transport ills

How the internet is clogging up city streets - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42516066

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't think anyone would suggest that ride sharing and self driving are the cure all transport ills!!

However they are a very useful tool to help maximise the use of existing infrastructure and make public transport more attractive.

As a person who doesn't have a car and the vast majority of time walks, cycles or takes public transport, I have to say taxis, ubers, GoCar type services are vital to filling the gaps for those times when walking/public transport don't suit and these are what allow me to choose not to buy a car and leave it wastefully and expensively sitting in the drive way 5 days a week while I commute to work.

Of course you are correct that they aren't a cure all, as a uber or GoCar takes up the same road space of any other car and are thus limited.

Though the Uber Pool service is very smart and allows a 5 seater car to actually carry 5 people most of the time, unlike most private cars/taxis, so at least it is an efficient use of road space.

Self driving cars will however have a massive impact on public transport and infrastructure. In particular smaller, one seater vehicles will use the road space much more efficiently then a big wasteful car does.

They still won't be enough space to service core city centers, which will likely be continue to be serviced at least on-peak times by high capacity self driving buses, trams, metros and DARTS.

However off-peak you will likely see people prefer to use on-demand self driving mini cars and also we are likely to see people prefer to use these for non city center destinations (think Dun Laoghaire to Blanchardstown, etc.). This will all have a big impact on public transport and how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I wasn't trying to pour too much cold water on ride sharing ect... Just thought it was an interesting article... Be interesting if we ever get to ride sharing minibuses...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Markcheese wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to pour too much cold water on ride sharing ect... Just thought it was an interesting article... Be interesting if we ever get to ride sharing minibuses...

Is that not what the Rural Ireland crowd want so they can get home from the pub after a skinfull without falling foul (or is it fowl) of the drink driving crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Markcheese wrote: »

Is that not what the Rural Ireland crowd want so they can get home from the pub after a skinfull without falling foul (or is it fowl) of the drink driving crowd.
    It's partially in place - from Transport for Ireland's Local Link Strategic Plan:
    Demand Responsive Transport (DRT) — these services do not operate on a fixed route but respond
    to requests for services by intending passengers and operate by making specific trips to pick
    up and drop off passengers at the door. They can be operated by large public service vehicles,
    hackneys or community cars.

Advertisement