Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Polly tunnel & Expanding Foam

Options
  • 20-03-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

I have a large(ish) polly tunnel with raised beds. This means there is a hard to reach gap between the bed and the curve of the wall. There is always grass & weeds growing there. I pull them up regularly but they come back.

How do I control these weeds? I dont want to use weed killer. Could I use expanding foam to "seal" the gap and stop the gras /weeds from getting root? I thought the foam would be better than concrete as it wont pierce the plastic. But I think I need a lot.

Any other options? thoughts?
    Anyone try this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I have a large(ish) polly tunnel with raised beds. This means there is a hard to reach gap between the bed and the curve of the wall. There is always grass & weeds growing there. I pull them up regularly but they come back.

How do I control these weeds? I dont want to use weed killer. Could I use expanding foam to "seal" the gap and stop the gras /weeds from getting root? I thought the foam would be better than concrete as it wont pierce the plastic. But I think I need a lot.

Any other options? thoughts?
    Anyone try this before?

We use Black polythene weighted down with a small amount of chippings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

wrangler wrote:
    We use Black polythene weighted down with a small amount of chippings

Cheers. Might try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Alternatively make the best use of the space and grow a semi-permanent crop such as strawberries along the lenght of the poly tunnel wall - it will help out compete the weeds and also provide a yearly crop of strawberries. You will need to change to new plantings every couple of years and control plant runners. Otherwise plant and feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Onions work well along the tunnel wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thx guys.

Have (carefully) sprayed weed killer and stuffed straw into the gap. Have read good things about straw.. .

Will let you know how I get on. Might even have pics.

Thx again everyone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭brianiac

would be interesting to hear back about how you do. I dont have a polytunnel though am looking into getting one. Might the straw form habitat for mice who might much nyour crops? Are there any possible plants which could be grown to provide habitat for beneficial bugs/ladybirds etc who might eat aphids if they are issues for you? Or something lke asparagus though presumably access for management is an issue

Advertisement