Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended gin?

• 02-04-2018 11:52am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m not much of a gin drinker but buying a thank you present for someone who is.

They’re a fan of Drumshambo - are there other decent gins that would be liked by someone who liked that or should I just keep it simple and get them a bottle of Gunpowder itself?

Don’t mind spending a bit either - as long as it’s worth it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm a big fan of Bertha's Revenge. It delivers the spicy peppery kick that Gunpowder promises but doesn't quite manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Bertha's Revenge. It delivers the spicy peppery kick that Gunpowder promises but doesn't quite manage.
    I'll second this.

Bertha's is currently my absolute favourite gin - it's very savoury so not for eveyrone, but if they like Gunpowder they'll like it I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How do they drink Gin? A gin for G&T isn't necessarily the same gin I'd use for a cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Tanquerey. Good enough for the Queen. And not overpriced like a lot of the trendy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quite a few gins are on offer in tesco
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=gin&N=4294962054

if you just type in "gin" or "whiskey" or whatever there is a "refine search" box you click and then click special offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

rubadub wrote: »
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=gin&N=4294962054

if you just type in "gin" or "whiskey" or whatever there is a "refine search" box you click and then click special offers.

O'Briens also had a gin sale this weekend, not sure if it's over by now though.

ETA - seems to be still on https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/gin-sale-888.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

my3cents wrote: »
    How do they drink Gin? A gin for G&T isn't necessarily the same gin I'd use for a cocktail.

G&T, generally.
    rubadub wrote: »

Great, thanks.
    BeerNut wrote: »

I've seen that before but never heard anything about it - very intrigued by the idea of a milk gin, though!

flogen wrote: »
    G&T, generally.

Gunpowder would be my favourite for a G&T.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I tend to prefer a clean, crisp gin, and Gunpowder doesn’t do it for me. But I do second the suggestion of Bertha’s Revenge. It has similar notes to Gunpowder but would also be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

G&T, generally.

Great, thanks.

I've seen that before but never heard anything about it - very intrigued by the idea of a milk gin, though!

IT's just the neutral spirit that is redistilled with botanicals that is derived from a dairy source. It wouldn't be the only Irish gin to use this alcohol - its just the only one that decided to make a feature of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

If it is to be used in a G&T I would go for Plymouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Copperhead or monkey 47.

I also liked blackwater gin got it in tesco at christmas

IT's just the neutral spirit that is redistilled with botanicals that is derived from a dairy source. It wouldn't be the only Irish gin to use this alcohol - its just the only one that decided to make a feature of it.

Ah - interesting. Had assumed it was a particularly unique way of going about it; just shows the power of good marketing.
    If it is to be used in a G&T I would go for Plymouth.
    Copperhead or monkey 47.

I also liked blackwater gin got it in tesco at christmas

Great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah - interesting. Had assumed it was a particularly unique way of going about it; just shows the power of good marketing.

Still a good and unique gin, though, made by a great bunch of lads!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Blackwater make the Boyle's Gin for Aldi, which is worth a look. Dingle is one I like quite a lot too.

Blackwater make the Boyle's Gin for Aldi, which is worth a look. Dingle is one I like quite a lot too.

I've a bottle of Boyle's at home and while gin isn't my thing I thought it was quite nice. Tried their Barry's tea gin too - which wasn't bad (to my untrained palate)

I've a bottle of Boyle's at home and while gin isn't my thing I thought it was quite nice. Tried their Barry's tea gin too - which wasn't bad (to my untrained palate)

If its a present you could always do something really weird like get a really good Gin and and really good tonic along with a dead cheap Gin and a cheap tonic and give them as a present that the recipients can compare.

For the cheap ones try the Aldi and Lidl slightly more expensive (but still cheap) Gins so your friends can enjoy comparing them to the expensive Gins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I like Six O'Clock gin

Miaireland wrote: »
    I like Six O'Clock gin

I normally start at about 5.45 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Glendalough Gin is my current favouritr but not all bars serve or know about it. Tanqueray next and you can't go wrong with Beefeater once you are a few in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Monkey 47 gets my vote ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement