Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spare PC with geforce 1060 3gb, mine for fun. What would you use it for?

• 03-04-2018 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I have a spare PC with geforce 1060 3gb, i5 8gigs of ram. I can have it running 24/7 for a few months.

Power won't cost me anything.

I'm running windows 10, I tried wineth, but the GPU didn't have enough memory.

I'd ideally prefer something I can run on windows.

What should I chance mining? Should I have it mining something new?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Praetorian wrote: »
    I have a spare PC with geforce 1060 3gb, i5 8gigs of ram. I can have it running 24/7 for a few months.

Power won't cost me anything.

I'm running windows 10, I tried wineth, but the GPU didn't have enough memory.

I'd ideally prefer something I can run on windows.

What should I chance mining? Should I have it mining something new?

I use Claymore and Nanopool for this type of setup. Doesn't make much, but will pay the GPU off over time and gives you a feel for mining. Tried Minergate iniitially which wasn't so good and is considered dubious by some, also gets flagged as malware by bitdefender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks for that suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

I'd also recommend Claymore's miner and Nanopool, Eth is still the most profitable to mine with your card according to whattomine.com.

The only limitiation with a 3gb card is the ETH DAG file size will soon hit that limit but it should be ok for a few months.

Check out Nanopools help page for all the information on setting up Claymores.

The newest version of the software is v11.6, you can download it from here.

Once setup you can try dual mining or switching to other less profitable Ethash coins that you could accumulate more of in the hope of the price increasing a lot in the long term.

I think the dag file is hitting the limit. (in windows with win eth miner anyway) . I'll try that other software later.

Claymore also now being flagged by Windows defender, message I got below, further discussion here.

447230.PNG

• Advertisement

Yikes, long complicated command lines and no time to learn them. Is there any secure windows based simple mining tool that would work with a 1060 with only 3gigs of ram?

I don't mind what I mine. it's for fun, so I could mine something new that's worthless now, and take a chance it will improve for the future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

NiceHash is very easy to setup and use.

NiceHash is very easy to setup and use.

From what I gather, NiceHash is a cloud mining site rather than an actual mining tool. Haven't used it so don't know any more than this and review seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Don't go NiceHash. That's boring. Unless you just want to make a (small) bit of money on a PC that you don't use and for which you don't pay electricity and you have no interest in mining

If you want to play around a bit, get into mining as a bit of a hobby, making a bit more money than with NiceHash. Tune your card, BIOS flash it, overclock it and undervolt it. Tune Windows 10 to work best and most stable for mining (all optional but part of the hobby)

Nanopool is sound as a pound, but there are more community spirited pools out there like Anorak.tech that charge 90% less fees :eek:

And Claymore used to be the software of choice, but there now is better software that hashes higher like PhoenixMiner which is 35% cheaper to use :eek:

^^^keep with the program, mining lads, still promoting Claymore :p

Cheers Unkel, had gone Ethash after Claymore flaked out. Will have a look at Phoenixminer. Still making one fifth of two thirds of sweet feck all, but a bit of fun nonetheless :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ever consider using it to play computer games? Not my scene, but sure to be far more enjoyable than using it to mine worthless scam coins so other dudes can get rich.

Ever consider using it to play computer games? Not my scene, but sure to be far more enjoyable than using it to mine worthless scam coins so other dudes can get rich.

Meh, games not really my scene either. Need OpenCL for some dev work and huge scale distributed processing interests me. Will build a dedicated rig at some point for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Is there any thread in the Crypto section on boards that you don’t troll in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is there any thread in the Crypto section on boards that you don’t troll in?

That’s unfair dude. I’m genuinely not trolling. I’m sceptical about the whole scene is fairness, and make no apologies for that. I’m fully aware punters around here have skin in the game, and I try to be respectful of that reality. My reading around this shows most mining is unprofitable, especially if you’re doing it solo. Can mine shîtcoins, but why would you bother when the lads who created it have premined most of the coins already?

The reality as I can see it is that you’d be better off selling th4 gpu for a premium, or using it to play computer games. Or using it for contributing to computation for genuine open source research into medicine, astronomy, climate change etc.

That’s all. I actually enjoy reading your posts.

Advertisement