Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone care to share their story? Part 2.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

great to hear as a fellow web designer i salute you, and wish you well in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tommyirl

I think it has to be a passion, you have to love the idea of doing something. People often like the status, potential rewards, but dont forget that to start a business, you need time. I don't belive that simply putting in a 9-5 will really get a big business of the ground. Often I see the sum of 70 hours per week as needed for a start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I graduated in November with an IT Management degree as soon as we were introduced to web design I fell in love. I began working on a friend's website first statically and then I moved on to designing and developing using WordPress. I have been designing and managing her site for 3 years but for free so I decided to become official so I can explore my talents with real clients and make a living doing what I enjoy most. I will be officially launching in two weeks so far just have Facebook set up you can check it out using my username /catchingdreamswebdesign

Will your website be ready by the time you launch ? I would really hope so for a web design company.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭onedmc

Just over 4 years ago I was made redundant. It was a UK company although I based in Ireland. On the day of redundancy I was sitting in the Airport waiting for my return flight at the end of the day.

I made a few phone calls looking for leads for new jobs when one of my old work buddies offered me a few weeks work to train his customer in his new app. I figured it would tide me over and I had done some training in the passed and liked it. And thats where it started from. I made more calls, it did take a full year to turn it into a real full-time business/job. I now run a successful training business and make a good living. Its worked out well and my problem now is that I cant find trainers of the level of quality that I want.

Took a small risk and it paid off

www.althris.com

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Shane101

I'm 24, graduated from a MSc in Finance last year in NCI. I didn't get the jobs I wanted and have now became an entrepreneur in the last year.

Not successful yet mind you but have begun my E-commerce journey from €0-5k a month with Amazon FBA selling in the United States. Importing goods from Asia branding them.

Awaiting two shipments for January which should see my business take off (fingers crossed).

Anyone who wants to follow along, check out my Youtube channel 'Shane Catchpole' or

https://youtube.com/channel%2FUCUMhJ6kStMkd1KPGznZMI-w.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Have started my own journey. This is my YouTube business channel: I am not doing business yet, hopefully will be fully open for business in MAY.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnuOzB3GRZJH0WKlJlwIn6A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Have started my own journey. This is my YouTube business channel: I am not doing business yet, hopefully will be fully open for business in MAY.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnuOzB3GRZJH0WKlJlwIn6A

WTF! :eek:

Hint: If you’re going to broadcast your business on YouTube, clean up your office and try reading from a script. Gave up after a minute, none the wiser to what you’re going to be doing. (And dissing your broadband provider in the first sentence is nobody’s fault but your own!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

WTF! :eek:

Hint: If you’re going to broadcast your business on YouTube, clean up your office and try reading from a script. Gave up after a minute, none the wiser to what you’re going to be doing. (And dissing your broadband provider in the first sentence is nobody’s fault but your own!)

I got to a minute and twenty and still no clues. Think we might be going to play with toy diggers though.
    Seriously man, delete that video and start again.
    Tidy up the pig sty or office I couldn't decide and start of by explaining what your product is about first.
    Unless I have totally misread the situation by not watching to the end and your business is tidying up pig stys with a toy digger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

What is the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Can we see the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

Can we see the website?

We can't even see the YouTube channel.

Maybe he got a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ReWild

I live in the UK at moment but we are going to relocate to Ireland in the next month. I will explain why in a bit.

2009 I found myself a single mother in a grotty house on benefits. I applied for every job going, cleaning jobs, care jobs, bar jobs any job. I have plenty of previous experience, I was croupier for 5 years so I can handle cash, I also worked in prison education and care. I got nothing back for months. Eventually one place gave me a interview. Carework with people with wet brain. The interviewer basically told "you are well qualified, we dont give jobs to single parents, no one does, if your child is sick you have to take time off"

At the time UK government had a scheme where you could go self employed and receive working tax credits and other benefits. This mitigated the risk of becoming destitute for trying. So I started making woodcarvings to sell. It didnt take genius to work out that making and selling art and crafts isnt a good road riches. So by 2012 me and my new partner set up a bushcraft company. I did lectures on foraging and taught kids wood carving skills, the other half did the rabbit skinning and shelter building demos.

Then we had an encounter with a horsey lady in a gun shop. We were talking about midgies, and gave her a tub that is made norway called wilmas. She remarked it smelt just like pine tar. To cut a long story short, we then started making and marketing a midge repellant, then a pine tar soap, then tick repellent, then other soaps. Now a painkilling balm. We got ourselves a constant income, with a lot of repeat costumers.

Then about two years ago, sales started to drop off, booking for foraging walks stopped too. I actually contacted a few previously repeat costumers to ask why. Basically too many were worried about money to buy what is a luxury good. Contract hours had changed to zero hours, the tax credits system has being changed to something that can leave you with nothing for many weeks. If you get sick you dont get paid at all. Funding to groups I used to take out foraging had got cut. Basically the government has choosen to cut a lot people off completely, and those that are one rung above are worried they will be next.

Now I am an irish citizen, I was born in dublin and parents moved here to the UK 1979. I have watched in the last few years the present government deport Caribbean people that were invited here 40 years ago just as they were about to claim a UK pension. I watched them make promises to EU citizens that they would be fine, I have watched them break those promises. They promised the good friday agreement would honoured, and then have a brexit secretary say he hasnt even read it. Above all the UN human rights watch dogs have had do special reports on human rights abuses by the UK government to their own people. They described cutting funding to equality groups in NI as deeply concerning. I dont want to get 67 and be told I am getting bugger all because I am an EU citizen, so I am going home so I am going home to pay into a state that doesnt abuse its own people or sell arms etc ect. The fella isnt so impressed with prospect of martial law either having lived in NI during the early 80s. The UK is basically bolloxed.

I know not nearly enough about being self employed in ireland, like you seem to need an accountant where as the UK lets you fill in your own self assessment forms etc. So I am looking for work for now, and I will be setting up the cosmetics business in parallel as that seems the easiest way of getting pps numbers, and making contributions, while learning how things like grants works for website development work. Irish regulations for cosmetics and herbal products are much simpler, and there is a lot less red tape for start ups.

Anyway we are really looking forward to making a good go of things. We have never looked a business as way of getting flash cars and a big house, there is more to life than a wage packet. We know we have a good product, and we look forward to making it work and grow.

^ Good story. Good luck to you!

I’ve been self-employed in both the UK and Ireland and it’s very similar. The main exception is the VAT threshold is much lower in Ireland than the UK. They also have little rules like you can’t claim vat back on petrol but you can on diesel.

You may need an accountant to file your first tax return online, the following year do it yourself, substituting last year’s figures for this year’s.

Ireland’s a good place to do business generally, people can be very slow to pay you though so keep on top of them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joshkg

Im still stuck in this 9-5 work. These posts actually encourage me to think about the way I want to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

I've always had a passion for digital and the world of marketing. So about a year and half ago I decided to jump off the deep end and start my own digital marketing agency. It's been the best decision I've made in life. I'm working with some great clients at the moment and getting them great results as well. I was working 9-5 in sales but hated it and found it to be boring and unfulfilling. The thought of going into work everyday and doing the same pitch, same script and same call everyday was horrible and not a way I wanted to spend the next 30 years. The worst thing about it was that it all restarted again every month. It wasn't for me.

Today I run a marketing agency that is full service. We do Web design, SEO, social and content marketing. Basically looking after a businesses entire marketing funnel. We're working with a number of different clients and different industry and focusing mainly on helping them increase their bottom line. It's completely different from my old job as I can actually see the difference I'm making to someones business.

If anyone is ever thinking of going out on their own. Just do it. Better to try and fail than never try at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SofiaZabal

Hi. Just joined the group. I just wanted to have information and really an idea of starting up a business.

I am engaged in home business baking occasions cakes and sweet products, etc. Baking is really a big passion of mine. I have been into bussiness catering local and regular customers and friends for years.

I am a foreigner originally from the philippines but had been a naturalized irish for 10 years now.

I am just would like to seek help on how to start up a bussines like a small coffee shop incorporating my baked goods/products.

I dont have degree for baking but i am a college economics graduate back in my home country. I may say i am a self thought baker and i was able to developed a recipes through the years of my passion from baking. I want to engaged and to offer my product into a bigger scale but i dont know where to start.

Thanks in advance for the help.

SofiaZabal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Today I run a marketing agency that is full service. We do Web design, SEO, social and content marketing. Basically looking after a businesses entire marketing funnel. We're working with a number of different clients and different industry and focusing mainly on helping them increase their bottom line. It's completely different from my old job as I can actually see the difference I'm making to someones business.

If anyone is ever thinking of going out on their own. Just do it. Better to try and fail than never try at all.

How do you get customers. Are business finding your services valuable.

When you do your work, is the digital marketing part of transformation in how the company works, or is it restricted to a new website and update social media.

This is something I always wanted to work with.. I am well experienced on deploying new digital methods for interacting with customers, but the overall social and content marketing I am weak on it. Where is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭meforever

SofiaZabal wrote: »
    Hi. Just joined the group. I just wanted to have information and really an idea of starting up a business.

I am engaged in home business baking occasions cakes and sweet products, etc. Baking is really a big passion of mine. I have been into bussiness catering local and regular customers and friends for years.

I am a foreigner originally from the philippines but had been a naturalized irish for 10 years now.

I am just would like to seek help on how to start up a bussines like a small coffee shop incorporating my baked goods/products.

I dont have degree for baking but i am a college economics graduate back in my home country. I may say i am a self thought baker and i was able to developed a recipes through the years of my passion from baking. I want to engaged and to offer my product into a bigger scale but i dont know where to start.

Thanks in advance for the help.

SofiaZabal

Nice story... Focus on one objective. Drive all your energy into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 VonRyan

For fellow entrepreneurs ...

I've just come out of the EI sponsored Phase II "New Frontiers" Entrepreneur development programme . If you are planning your own venture, its a fantastic 6-month journey with a total emphasis on getting you prepared for bringing your idea to fruition.

I came out of it with a product/service ready to launch <snip> and plenty of guidance and preparation for engaging in seed-fundraising over the coming year year.

Google "New Frontiers" to find out more... I think they are having call for Phase I and Phase II at the moment..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Any great stories of online or college courses that open opportunities? I find it hard to commit to a masters or postgrad and the whole rigid school like structure of college courses and lectures. They do say you can learn everything online nowadays for free and on YouTube

With the impending cold War between America and China Ireland needs to focus on its manufacturing businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FreedomSeeker

I will keep it short and sweet. I was lucky enough to have gotten connected with a group of highly successful people that run a private entrepenurial mentorship program that is teaching me how to build assets that produce cashflow.

I hope to pay it forward in any way that I can ����. If anyone wants to chat or if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

As a side note I personally believe that in whatever your venture is that you need to find people that have already done it successfully so they can help you dodge the pitfalls.

Mod Edit: That's all well and good but as a first post, it smells of pyramid scheme to me. I may be wrong and you are welcome to PM me with further details but I would warn anyone reading your post to take proper advice before agreeing anything - work or money wise - with you.

The Gloomster!

Hey Gloomster,

I do appreciate your concern about my post and its great to see that you look out for others. But I can assure you I have never or will never be apart of a pyramid scheme in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

I will keep it short and sweet. I was lucky enough to have gotten connected with a group of highly successful people that run a private entrepenurial mentorship program that is teaching me how to build assets that produce cashflow.

I hope to pay it forward in any way that I can ����. If anyone wants to chat or if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

As a side note I personally believe that in whatever your venture is that you need to find people that have already done it successfully so they can help you dodge the pitfalls.

Mod Edit: That's all well and good but as a first post, it smells of pyramid scheme to me. I may be wrong and you are welcome to PM me with further details but I would warn anyone reading your post to take proper advice before agreeing anything - work or money wise - with you.

The Gloomster!

Hey Gloomster,

I do appreciate your concern about my post and its great to see that you look out for others. But I can assure you I have never or will never be apart of a pyramid scheme in any way shape or form.

OK, so can tell us what is the nature of the business you are working on, or in which area you have expertise?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

I never liked being an employee. too eccentric and dont pretending to be a drone. I created a couple of ventures before with varying success but finally ive launched my own proper company recently. just working on getting clients. Got sacked from the day job because they found my website. so now its make or break

FionMc wrote: »
    I never liked being an employee. too eccentric and dont pretending to be a drone. I created a couple of ventures before with varying success but finally ive launched my own proper company recently. just working on getting clients. Got sacked from the day job because they found my website. so now its make or break

What an incentive to succeed! Good luck to you. You know where we are if you need any help/advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Let’s be all honest here

none of us were every comfortable being told what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2 muhammadumar63

hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tessajonas252

I didn't initially set out to be my own boss. My entrepreneurial journey started when I stumbled upon an opportunity I couldn't resist. I was working a 9-5 office job and felt the itch for something more. One day, I saw a gap in the market and decided to take a chance. It wasn't a premeditated plan, but rather a leap of faith that led me down this path. It's been a rollercoaster ride since then, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd love to hear others' stories too!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭bikermartin

I didn't start with a clear plan to be an entrepreneur. It all began when I saw an opportunity to turn a hobby into a business. I was passionate about creating unique handmade jewelry and started selling them online. The journey from a hobby to a full-time business was gradual, but it's been incredibly rewarding. Sometimes, seizing an unexpected opportunity can lead to a fulfilling entrepreneurial path.

• Advertisement

Advertisement