Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 National Road Speed Limit Review

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Any suggestion that the N25 Waterford By-pass might be increased from 100 to 120KPH?

Was there some talk that this might happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

N20 near Buttevant now down to 80, drove past there this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

No changes to the mainline N11, N25, N30 and the N80 in Wexford. All to remain100km/h. The public consultation phase just closed last week and I believe they are looking at an implementation date in July for any changes following proposed adoption by members in June. The only alterations proposed were the tightening up of existing built up speed limits at most of the villages and towns with minor stretches of 80km/h on the outskirts of Enniscorthy town (N11 and N30) and New Ross town (N30 only coming from Clonroche direction)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »

I'd be tempted to delist the following as national routes:
    * All N66.

The N66 has been upgraded to a reasonable standard over the last few years, and the alternative n65/m6/m18 is much much longer.

What did Brian Cowen do to get the Tullamore to Moate road through Clara de-trunked without any issues?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The N66 has been upgraded to a reasonable standard over the last few years, and the alternative n65/m6/m18 is much much longer.

What did Brian Cowen do to get the Tullamore to Moate road through Clara de-trunked without any issues?

The N66 is now the R380. Traffic is down to just over 2000 AADT. The main M6-M18 route is now covered by the motorways. Local Gort-Loughrea traffic can continue to use the R road, which doesn't merit an N number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I can see the R585 being reduced to 80kph. No need for it IMO and will add significant journey time for those commuting from West Cork to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Had the M6 and Tullamore ring road built.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I can see the R585 being reduced to 80kph. No need for it IMO and will add significant journey time for those commuting from West Cork to the city.

Hasn't the R585 been reduced to 80km/h already?

If the main route from west Cork to the city wasn't an overcongested mess it might entice people to use that route instead rather than the R585 which is narrow and bumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

N20 near Buttevant now down to 80, drove past there this afternoon.

You mean the south side by the quarry? Pretty much impossible to drive any faster there with all those sharp bends anyway.

Has the Waterford bypass been upgraded to 120kph. Don’t understand why it is 100kph.

• Advertisement

Has the Waterford bypass been upgraded to 120kph. Don’t understand why it is 100kph.

I don't understand either. 120 would make the journey even faster and would make it more attractive especially for such a failure of a road from the PPP concessionaire's point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

marno21 wrote: »
    I don't understand either. 120 would make the journey even faster and would make it more attractive especially for such a failure of a road from the PPP concessionaire's point of view

Same with me. Another bugbear of mine is the 100 limit on the Sligo dual carriageway - it's well capable of the full 120 (and more if we didn't have such low speed limits on motorways).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

N11 from J12 to J14 (where the motorway starts) could handle 120 as well.

N72 & N73 from Mallow east have substantial sections of 80km/h running now. From what I've seen none can be argued with.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Galway to have more revisions this year. https://galwaybayfm.ie/public-to-have-say-on-changes-to-speed-limits-across-the-county/

Is there somewhere that lists all the TII speed limit reports?

Galway to have more revisions this year. https://galwaybayfm.ie/public-to-have-say-on-changes-to-speed-limits-across-the-county/

They haven't been published yet afaik, apart from the Limerick one linked before (which hasn't been implemented yet). All reports from me and most others have been anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

www.speedlimits.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Newlands Cross outbound is now 100kmh from the start of the flyover. Used to be 80kmh all the way to the west side of the bridge at the junction merge.

marno21 wrote: »
    N72 & N73 from Mallow east have substantial sections of 80km/h running now. From what I've seen none can be argued with.

As national routes come, the N72 is a disgrace and this speed limit reduction only highlights the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Can TII not set speed limits on national secondary’s rather the LA’s so there is less diffferences. The N52 at the Meath / Westmeath border was suppose to be changed but it’s still 100 in Westmeath and 80 in Meath

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    Can TII not set speed limits on national secondary’s rather the LA’s so there is less diffferences. The N52 at the Meath / Westmeath border was suppose to be changed but it’s still 100 in Westmeath and 80 in Meath
    The Speed Limit changes haven't been implemented in full yet. Some local authorities are further ahead than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Same with me. Another bugbear of mine is the 100 limit on the Sligo dual carriageway - it's well capable of the full 120 (and more if we didn't have such low speed limits on motorways).

Would probably only get you from one end to the other a few minutes quicker, but considering the road is of such a standard, it is a shame you cant (legally) do 120 on it. Is there any consideration for it? The almost permanently parked Go Safe van and Guards on the Caltragh/Carraoroe Slip will probably still catch drivers out.

• roadmaster wrote: »

Whats it changing to? All 100 or all 80? Another anomaly is the N52 part of the Kells bypass. Its 100 but reverts to 80 on either side.

Whats it changing to? All 100 or all 80? Another anomaly is the N52 part of the Kells bypass. Its 100 but reverts to 80 on either side.

The westmeath section is dropping to 80kph. The kells bypass should be 80 due to walkers and runners. Its bad planning meath have not made provisions such as a footpath

• roadmaster wrote: »
    The westmeath section is dropping to 80kph. The kells bypass should be 80 due to walkers and runners. Its bad planning meath have not made provisions such as a footpath

I drive the route a fair bit. I'd agree that Kells to the Louth border should be 80. Pretty twisty most of it. A fair piece of the Kells to Westmeath section is pretty decent though and I think it could be 100. Despite the current limit and presence of speed detection vans I think there's loads of motorists doing 90 to 100 on it regardless.

I drive the route a fair bit. I'd agree that Kells to the Louth border should be 80. Pretty twisty most of it. A fair piece of the Kells to Westmeath section is pretty decent though and I think it could be 100. Despite the current limit and presence of speed detection vans I think there's loads of motorists doing 90 to 100 on it regardless.
    Precedent from Cork seems to be that exceptionally bad bits will be reduced to 80km/h, all realigned/upgraded parts will remain at 100km/h. Frequent 80-100 changes don't seem to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote:
    Precedent from Cork seems to be that exceptionally bad bits will be reduced to 80km/h, all realigned/upgraded parts will remain at 100km/h. Frequent 80-100 changes don't seem to be an issue.

Prolonged low speed limits were also shortened in Cork. Lisavaird and Ballinascarthy had their 60km/h zones almost halved. As did Coonangh and Leap
    Also a lot of villages went from 100 straight to 50. These are all changed now to 100-80/60-50.
    As Marno said, anywhere that was reduced to 80km/h was for a good reason.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Prolonged low speed limits were also shortened in Cork. Lisavaird and Ballinascarthy had their 60km/h zones almost halved. As did Coonangh and Leap
    Also a lot of villages went from 100 straight to 50. These are all changed now to 100-80/60-50.
    As Marno said, anywhere that was reduced to 80km/h was for a good reason.
    Must give a trip down the N71. Haven't been down there in a while.

I think theres 2 seperate 80 sections on the N73 now. One of them is the section with the "danger: oncoming traffic in middle of road" signs with twists and a shockingly rough surface.

The N72 section is on the Mallow side of the 2012 realignment, it's quite a bad section along there.

Of course, the N20 section south of Buttevant also. All those stretches are so bad that trying to do 100km/h will result in a crash.

There has been positive upgauging of speed limits as well such as the Mallow bypass, the N20 out of Charleville etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Before the N52 Ardee-Dundalk was detrunked to the R215 or whatever it is now, the speed limit was 100 kph. Did Louth County Council drop the speed limit to the standard "national" speed limit or did they designate the road to maintain stretches of 100 km/h?

It's not so twisty but it's rather narrow to support the higher speed limit.

• Advertisement

Before the N52 Ardee-Dundalk was detrunked to the R215 or whatever it is now, the speed limit was 100 kph. Did Louth County Council drop the speed limit to the standard "national" speed limit or did they designate the road to maintain stretches of 100 km/h?

It's not so twisty but it's rather narrow to support the higher speed limit.

I am nearly sure its still the N52 and all Dundalk traffic is sent that way instead of N33

Advertisement