Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Schmidt to coach the Auckland Blues after the 2019 RWC

• 01-04-2018 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

NZ rugby today announced that current Irish coach Joe Schmidt will return home after the 2019 RWC. He will take over the reigns at the struggling Auckland Blues, replacing Tana Umaga, whose contract expires in 2019. The NZRU currently requires All Black head coaches to have NZ coaching experience (Super Rugby, Mitre 10 Cup, NZ 7s) immediately prior to their national appointment.

Speaking to Auckland-based Radio Sport today, Schmidt said following the global tournament, he and his wife Kellie felt it would be the right time to head home. "I have made lifelong friends in Ireland, and will keep many fond memories of our time there, but I look forward to the challenge of working with the Blues".

It's rumoured Schmidt is hoping to team up again with Jono Gibbes, who recently returned to NZ where he will coach the Waikato Mitre 10 cup side.

Gonna be a big hole for Irish rugby to fill, no doubt that he will have left the team in a good place though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

swiwi_ wrote: »
    NZ rugby today announced that current Irish coach Joe Schmidt will return home after the 2019 RWC. He will take over the reigns at the struggling Auckland Blues, replacing Tana Umaga, whose contract expires in 2019. The NZRU currently requires All Black head coaches to have NZ coaching experience (Super Rugby, Mitre 10 Cup, NZ 7s) immediately prior to their national appointment.

Speaking to Auckland-based Radio Sport today, Schmidt said following the global tournament, he and his wife Kellie felt it would be the right time to head home. "I have made lifelong friends in Ireland, and will keep many fond memories of our time there, but I look forward to the challenge of working with the Blues".

It's rumoured Schmidt is hoping to team up again with Jono Gibbes, who recently returned to NZ where he will coach the Waikato Mitre 10 cup side.

Gonna be a big hole for Irish rugby to fill, no doubt that he will have left the team in a good place though.

Noooooooooooooooooo ooooooo ooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭ongarite

April Fools.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

*checks the date*

Nice one, swiwi! ;););)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is it not already the 2nd of April in kiwi land??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No way that’d be announced in NZ before Ireland.

Joe has too much class for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

In before RugbyLad run this story.

Advertisement