Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Personal Alchohol abuse

Options
  • 01-04-2018 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have a problem with Alchohol abuse. I dont drink alot but i have to have a drink (about a naggin of spirit) every evening. I have a young family and a wife with an Alchoholic father so I can't talk to her. It doesn't affect family life but I know it's not right. I tried not drinking but I can't!! Any thoughts??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I reckon you'll get better advice here LiamLT.

FWIW, good luck in your quest with this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

First you need to reassess your definition of not drinking a lot. A naggin every night equates to over 50 units per week. That's a lot by any standards, even if you're not drinking a huge amount in one go. And whether you think it or not, it is affecting your family life, even if only from a financial point of view. What could your young family do with an extra €50 or more a week if you didn't spend it on drink?

However you have recognised that there's an issue, so it's a good start, although just trying not to drink clearly isn't enough. You should speak to your GP who will be able to advise you on what support services are available locally to you to help you quit, or at the very least cut down. I'm sure there will be others who will have other suggestions for you, but the important thing to remember is that there are people out there who will help you, it doesn't have to be something you do on your own. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You posted here so you know you have an issue that needs a solution.

There's obviously a reason why you're drinking, so see a GP and get some professional help.
    Only takes a minute to make an appointment and you'll get some proper advice.

Best of luck, there's a thousand people who've been in the same boat and come out the far side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

very few people can stop on their own. check out an AA meeting. the only requirement to attend is a desire to stop drinking, you don't have to say, 'My name is Liamlintown I'm an alcoholic', or anything else you can say you just want to listen.

quitting drink will improve your life immensely, peace of mind, finances, everything gets better. but you need to break the old habits, start by avoiding wherever you get the naggin from, take a different route home and schedule a different activity for that time you normally drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I agree with the others, a good GP is a great place to start. No pressure you are just going there to get yourself more informed. Your wife probably knows already and maybe doesn't know how to approach you yet, finding her support is so important too. If you can get some information for her if local al anon meetings or family support crowds so you have something to help her too. You have recognised you have a problem and there's a lot of support out there for you but you will need her too but she also needs to look after herself and become more informed so it's easier for her to understand and deal with. That way you can work on it together. But first arm yourself with the info you need first xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Good advice above, another thing to try is to simply change your schedule, if you usually drink while unwinding in front of the TV after putting the kids to bed then see if you can fill that time more actively. Try going for a walk or doing a cross word / playing play station so you are distracted. My not help but it may - just like overeating some over drinking is simply due to boredom and routine.

Advertisement