Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10 Marathons in 10 Days

• 25-01-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I thought some of you might find this event interesting to follow. David O'Connor is attempting to complete 10 Marathons in 10 consecutive days from April 20th to April 29th in aid of mental health awarness.

There is a link to the Facebook page here if anyone would like to follow the progress. He is going to be active with updates on how his training is going from both a physical and mental aspect. The final day is being organised as a family day out event with some entertainment and food and people will have the opportunity to run a number of laps of the track with David on the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck to the man, in aid of a great cause to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck to the man, in aid of a great cause to.

Cheers man. A great cause and a great challenge.

Davy's challenge is getting closer and media attention is starting to pick up https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/2369136/shelbourne-coach-davy-oconnor-running-ten-marathons-in-ten-days-to-raise-mental-health-awareness/amp/

If anyone would like to follow his journey you can do so on Instagram or Facebook

And if anyone would like to make a donation it can be done here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

A mega physical and mental challenge for him and fair play to him for doing it for a great cause.

However....

That level of running surely has a damaging effect on the body. I certainly wouldn't be doing it as I don't want t inflict permanent or indeed temporary damage or harm on my joints and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A mega physical and mental challenge for him and fair play to him for doing it for a great cause.

However....

That level of running surely has a damaging effect on the body. I certainly wouldn't be doing it as I don't want t inflict permanent or indeed temporary damage or harm on my joints and back.

Oh for crying out loud!

double-facepalm.jpeg

No. Things like that have been done hundreds of times. There are studies about this. It does not damage the body. It does not damage the back. And it does not damage the joints because running is not bad for your knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well, assuming he has trained for it...

Running strengthens the knees, unless you do more than you can handle, then it could damage them. Just like playing tennis makes your arms stronger, but can also give you tennis elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

RayCun wrote: »

Running strengthens the knees, unless you do more than you can handle, then it could damage them. Just like playing tennis makes your arms stronger, but can also give you tennis elbow.

Must be an incredible amount of mileage per week for ten marathons in ten days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Must be an incredible amount of mileage per week for ten marathons in ten days.

You don't need to run 100s of miles to prepare for a 10in10. These kind of events are being held regularly and perfectly regular marathon runners succeed in finishing them. You don't need to be an elite.

Just get back on track here. David O'Connor is attempting a great challenge for a great cause and there is no need for negative comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »

Tennis is elbow is not a nice thing in fairness. Still have nightmares from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Oh for crying out loud!

No. Things like that have been done hundreds of times. There are studies about this. It does not damage the body. It does not damage the back. And it does not damage the joints because running is not bad for your knees.

Yeah I'm sure many people do run like that without any apparent ill-effect. However, the body can only repair & maintain itself at a certain rate. I'd be worried running that intensely would inflict a higher rate of wear and tear on joints and the back.
    Might be no bad effects straight away but it might be the difference between having to get arthroplasty at 50 and getting it at 70.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tennis is elbow is not a nice thing in fairness. Still have nightmares from it.

Golfer's elbow is worse...just recovered from it.....

And I don't even play poxy golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

walshb wrote: »

'Posters Thumb' is a right bastard, Im told.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ultrapercy wrote: »
    'Posters Thumb' is a right bastard, Im told.

Who is that, I can't find the profile :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

walshb wrote: »

Not to be mixed up with Golfer's Grill

Dave is on day 8 of this challenge now with about 5 miles left for today. He has gotten some great coverage so far and has had amazing support and interest in it. Some fantastic stories of strangers coming up all week to join him for a few laps and talk about their own issues and how grateful they are for anyone who attempts challenges like this to help raise awareness for mental health issues.

https://www.facebook.com/aware10in10

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/20766/davy-oconnor-i-was-active-in-sport---it-still-became-irrelavant-when-i-came-to-a-low-point-in-my-life/

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0423/956448-marathon-mental-health/

The money raised, been though it will be spent wisely, comes second to the reach and awareness this has resulted in.

If anyone feels like joining Dave for a few laps or just coming up to show support he will be on trak again from 9am to 2pm tomorrow and Sunday for his final two days.

Advertisement