Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed of fingerprint checking

• 28-03-2018 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just a question out of curiosity rather than anything else for those more intelligent than me.

I spoke to a friend who came back from holiday and said on arrival at the airport they did the usual passport scan but also took a fingerprint and photo. He said the entire process was completed in under a minute which seems super fast to me.

I did some googling but the only answers refer to prints at a crime scene that are not the same thing and a few articles about some police in the uk having mobile scanners to check fingerprints that check against a 12 million strong database.

This just seems like a huge number so does anyone know, can a fingerprint/s really be che ked against potentially millions of others in a minute or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes.

Its not like on CSI, they dont see a screen flicker in front of them with millions of prints. A print when entered will be saved as some sort of hash or digest that can then be stored in a sorted table in a database. Same way your bank puts in your account number and instantly get your account they can instantly see which prints are close to the test print.

Cant find the one the UK police use ("Lantern") which is smaller, but this is the same sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I spoke to a friend who came back from holiday and said on arrival at the airport they did the usual passport scan but also took a fingerprint and photo. He said the entire process was completed in under a minute which seems super fast to me.
    In that case there were probably scanning his print range then checking it.
    And even if they were checking, they have his passport details, so they can they can go directly to the comparison data.

I did some googling but the only answers refer to prints at a crime scene that are not the same thing and a few articles about some police in the uk having mobile scanners to check fingerprints that check against a 12 million strong database.

This just seems like a huge number so does anyone know, can a fingerprint/s really be che ked against potentially millions of others in a minute or two?
    Take your mobile phone number for example. There are 10 Billion possible number combinations. Staggering amount. But it's pretty trivial to look your up if they are all stored in order. Digital searching makes that instant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Mellor wrote: »
    In that case there were probably scanning his print range then checking it.
    And even if they were checking, they have his passport details, so they can they can go directly to the comparison data.

Take your mobile phone number for example. There are 10 Billion possible number combinations. Staggering amount. But it's pretty trivial to look your up if they are all stored in order. Digital searching makes that instant

Yeah, thanks and to the guy before. What you both say makes sense just makes me feel old that's all.

Appreciate the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

ED E wrote: »
    Yes.

Its not like on CSI, they dont see a screen flicker in front of them with millions of prints. A print when entered will be saved as some sort of hash or digest that can then be stored in a sorted table in a database. Same way your bank puts in your account number and instantly get your account they can instantly see which prints are close to the test print.

Cant find the one the UK police use ("Lantern") which is smaller, but this is the same sort of thing.

That video is frightening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks to megapixel cameras people have been able to extract fingerprints from selfies on facebook

• Advertisement
Advertisement