Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FOREGOLF KILLEEN CASTLE 2018 FITTING & PRICING!

• 26-03-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have been reading a lot of posts about fitting here and especially about foregolf's pricing. Well I'm just back from a fitting there and said id post about it. I had read a post on boards about FG being almost double etc
    Well that's bull...I just bought taylormade p790s for 1225€ with tour stiff upgraded shafts. Mcguirks sell them for 1199€ with stock shafts! Theres your difference. They were also 25€ dearer on another set I looked at. Considering you are fitted by a company who fitted wedges for seve back in the day id say you are doing ok. They regularly fit for European tour players also.

50€ for a 30min session with no obligation to buy and they do not give you their findings so you can go buy elsewhere as some idiots think they should!

Ok so i went in and hit a few with my own irons and immediately could see they were too long and always had been. (Sticker on the face showed I hit them well but all out of the heel). These were a set of custom fit irons from a major shop in Dublin. I had success with them but never again. The shaft was all wrong. I hit m3s p790s and few others to good success but it was broken down in great great detail what was best for me. You will be left in no doubt as to who where what why etc

This was my second fitting with FG. The previous time i witnessed them put my irons on the machine to test loft lie etc - they were a custom fit halpenny golf set and were all over the shop. Nothing was correct with them. I was guaranteed this before FG even looked at them and they were correct. Just another set of irons churned off the production line with no care. For this reason (at that time) don the club maker only accepts clubs made by ONE person in every company. If a certain person doesn't sign off on them in titlesit for eg they don't accept them. Since I witnessed this I never bough a club off the shelf again in my life.

Hitting a ball into a screen in mcguirks or halpenny is not custom fitting. That's why it's free and you can literally walk in off the street to do it! Have a look now on the FG website and see how long you'll have to wait! Its also only 50€ a session. An is a great experience.

I have had drivers and woods fit on the taylormade tour truck when it rolls into dublin with some great success. Look for Garth or the Liverpool guy. They are excellent!

As I was leaving I asked them to look at my putter which i was convinced had a grip fitted crooked in mcguirks! If they had known anything in the first place they would never had fit this particular grip to this particular putter (long story) It was indeed crooked. Grip replaced and a FREE weight change in the head I never even asked for. It felt like it was on rails.

I will repost when i get and try my new clubs as in theory this is a great story but in reality it could be very different but i doubt it. The putter worked INSTANTLY!

I play off 3 now and that's largely down to lessons (tadgh harrington there's none better trust me especially if you struggle with the short game like i used) and custom fitting.

Hope this review helps a few people - ✌👊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Bit of a mental first post :pac:

I got the full bag check for Christmas at the end of last year as a present.This was my first fitting outside of Halpenny.
    You fill out a questionnaire after you book it on what you want or don't want to look at. (certain clubs,new clubs or adjustment of old)

You go in and warm up ( after a cup of Tea which was actually nice, I take my tea seriously) then hit a few with your own clubs to kick it off.
    David asked a few questions, what do you want from the session, what's your miss and so on. I done woods and irons only on the day as per the questionnaire.
    Then you start hitting clubs. Lie,shaft,weight and club head are changed through out until it narrows down. Then its revisited to be sure of the results.Then its onto the next type of club and so on. Took about 1hr and 30minutes.

They give you a sheet with the prices and basic spec.
    8GdYiQA.jpg

They don't give you the full specs unless you purchase. I was asking questions through out the session but I didn't know all the specs.

You get your Trackman data sent over after the session via email so you can review it and I sent a few detailed emails before I ordered getting some questions answered.

After I purchased the irons I got sent the specs for all the clubs.
    P7hC2T7.jpg

I got a free Gap wedge (fitted to spec) and free round at Killeen Castle ( up to 3 visitors for €50). From placing the order it took 7 days until I could pick up in December.

Prices Vs Halpenny Custom fit section.
    Irons 4-PW w/Gap they were €26 cheaper.
    Utility 3 Iron they are €14 cheaper.
    Driver €249 cheaper. ( 330 shaft up charge from Halpenny)
    Fairway €47 dearer. ( Using an M4 as the M2 is no longer available but I presume the same cost.)

David recommended I don't purchase the Driver or FW Wood as the benefit wasn't enough to justify and get some lessons on technique instead.He also advised replacing the hybrids with utility irons as I hit them better and drop the 3&5W for a 4W. I actually picked up the fairway with a similar weight shaft for €85 from Adverts and cut it to length, I hit it much better than other FW woods I've owned, Break80 seen a few hits in Carton.

I currently own an 815 Alpha 9° which is adjustable, he adjusted this down to 8° and changed the face angle, from this alone I'm seeing better results/flight when struck.

In the end the full irons changes over standard
    .5" Longer
    .5° Flat ( 1.5° difference to old clubs)
    Lightweight B Club-head
    6-PW 1° Weaker Lofts
    2 Wraps under Grips

3 Utility Iron currently being built.
    .5" Longer
    .5° Flat
    Lightweight B Club-head
    1° Stronger Loft
    2 Wraps under Grips

So, the real question, has it made me a better golfer? Yes and No

I decided to put more effort in and make a real push to get better.
    I practice more/better. I pick a 4i off the tee if there is trouble. I use less loft chipping unless it calls for high loft. All this and more changes in how I approach the game will help even if I used my old clubs.

What the clubs have done is instantly I could see my miss was almost non existent. I used to start the ball left and pull it more off target on my miss. My miss now is either a slight over draw that can catch green or a small push.

I feel more confident over the ball, they honestly feel amazing to me. As a result I've hit some of my best shots ever.

I'm still not a good golfer but one way or another they are helping me shoot lower scores so I'm happy with how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

On a recent you tube video Derek said they’ve done over 250,000 fittings in their twenty years of Fore Golf. Just think about that, how many fittings are required every day to make up that number?

You really have to take everything he says with a pinch of salt, even with regards to how well their clubs are built. Some of the manufacturers are better then them at building, despite what he says.

On a recent you tube video Derek said they’ve done over 250,000 fittings in their twenty years of Fore Golf. Just think about that, how many fittings are required every day to make up that number?

You really have to take everything he says with a pinch of salt, even with regards to how well their clubs are built. Some of the manufacturers are better then them at building, despite what he says.
    Have you got a timestamp for it? Seems like an outrageous statement, that would surely be nearly all the golfers in Ireland.

I honestly wouldn't know there, this is my first set of new clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Im curious as to the point of paying for a fitting session at 50 or 100e when youre not told what the specs are. What exactly are you paying for then?

If above post is to be believed and you get your 'basic specs' which seems to include correct clubs, lofts and shafts, what else is needed in order to confidently wander off and buy cheaper elsewhere? Length and lie maybe? Which would surely be mentioned and picked up upon during the session.

Id be interested to get fitted. Im sure theyre v good at what they do but with a few quid on credit with my own pro (prizes won and returned and the odd 2!), I couldnt justify committing to spending upwards of a grand on clubs just so I can get a better inkling into my numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Have you got a timestamp for it? Seems like an outrageous statement, that would surely be nearly all the golfers in Ireland.

I honestly wouldn't know there, this is my first set of new clubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxTRjAh9vY&t=313s

Just after the 5:00 mark

• Advertisement

Im curious as to the point of paying for a fitting session at 50 or 100e when youre not told what the specs are. What exactly are you paying for then?

If above post is to be believed and you get your 'basic specs' which seems to include correct clubs, lofts and shafts, what else is needed in order to confidently wander off and buy cheaper elsewhere? Length and lie maybe? Which would surely be mentioned and picked up upon during the session.

Id be interested to get fitted. Im sure theyre v good at what they do but with a few quid on credit with my own pro (prizes won and returned and the odd 2!), I couldnt justify committing to spending upwards of a grand on clubs just so I can get a better inkling into my numbers.

From their FAQ
    Because no one will build them matched to your custom fitting analysis like us. Why would you get custom fitted at ForeGolf and then assume you will get the same club built elsewhere? If your new clubs are not built EXACTLY the way that we spec them to be, you won’t get the same result. We are custom fitters but our real craft and expertise is the in the way our clubs are hand-built. Because we focus on less volume and more quality we can build clubs better than the big golf companies.
    Not sure how much more believable my post could be to be honest. :confused:

I'm sure they just don't want you buying the clubs elsewhere,I don't exactly agree with it but I can see why from a business point of view.They will tell you the lie and length during the fitting, add that to the clubhead and shaft you can buy from Halpenny if you want. If I done that,not only would it be more expensive but I wouldn't be buying the same club to be fair.

I've been fit by Halpenny and McGuirks where I paid for the fitting because I didn't buy anything. I got my numbers from them afterwards. Standard length,lie,heavy stiff shaft.

If your not willing to spend upwards of €1,000 you probably won't be getting new season clubs. Most 4-pw+Gap will come in about 1k.

This is from their About page on the Foregolf website
    Derek and Dave are trained to Tour level and have overseen 10,000+ fittings for golfers of all abilities.
    Seems much more realistic. If they worked every day for 8hrs a day for the last 20 years that's just shy of 50,000 fittings.

Dont buy the 'club building' spiel. Once you have the correct club head, shaft and grip, its really only a matter of sticking the shaft into the head. Then adjust loft, length and lie as necessary. Job done.

They get their heads and shafts from the same manufacturers as Halpenny / McGuirks etc so how can they claim to produce a better product? Maybe they feel that lie angles and lengths are sometimes adjusted carelessly by others? But thats easily checked if you have a pro who has some idea what theyre doing.

Just sounds as if youre paying for the cosseting and the tea to be honest. If theyre confident in the quality of their fitting, that should really be their selling point and they should release full specs to customers afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I think ForeGolf is a completely valid business - even if it's only a marginal gain, what's 50 quid when you're spending over a grand? ...if only for the peace of mind.

However, the crap they seem to talk about shoddy builds in manufacturers, their prowess among tour players and how only they have the detailed knowledge to precisely fit you puts me off.

On the one hand, every business needs to market itself, which is fair enough. But the cult-like fervor with which the likes of the OP come away from sessions with them is quite gas.

Here's an ever more hilarious example from an "article" in Pundit Arena which pops up at the top of their Google Search (make sure you're sitting down):

"I have now played 10 rounds with my new driver. In the last 3 rounds I have not shot worse than level par. A few weeks ago, I was shooting around 80 every round. I directly attribute this improvement to my session at FG."

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liammcdevitt

I'm regularly speaking to a man who worked for years in the titleist TPI institute in USA and he would disagree strongly with you. What do you base your statement on???? I have seen first hand 2 sets of my custom build clubs on a machine. Length , lie & loft all wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

I think ForeGolf is a completely valid business - even if it's only a marginal gain, what's 50 quid when you're spending over a grand? ...if only for the peace of mind.

However, the crap they seem to talk about shoddy builds in manufacturers, their prowess among tour players and how only they have the detailed knowledge to precisely fit you puts me off.

On the one hand, every business needs to market itself, which is fair enough. But the cult-like fervor with which the likes of the OP come away from sessions with them is quite gas.

I tend to agree with this ^^

I've no particular axe to grind with FG whatsoever, I've been twice (for a driver and for the full bag check) and the experience has been fine both times. Yes, the price was a little higher than a McGuirks etc., but not exorbitantly so.

That said, I got rid of the driver after about 6 months (to be fair I've never liked Callaway drivers and should have known better than to agree to one !), and subsequently changed the irons that I got reshafted, so make of that what you will. Indian or arrow ? Who knows.
    To their credit some of my clubs didn't need changing and they were decent enough to say there was no need to change my fairway woods, hybrid & wedges.

On the flip side however, I'm not at all convinced the build specs & tolerances come out any different to what a good club pro would do tbh.

What I don't like, as mentioned above, is the subtle knocking of everyone else's build quality. Of course they have to market themselves and promote themselves as every business does, but to me, its just a bit, I dunno, condescending or something.

I also don't like them not giving the specs out (or indeed the Op's referring to people who might want their specs as idiots). If you're paying for the fitting then that's the info you should get IMO, otherwise advertise yourself as "providing fittings to be used only in conjunction with purchasing clubs we build for you".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

I'm regularly speaking to a man who worked for years in the titleist TPI institute in USA and he would disagree strongly with you. What do you base your statement on???? I have seen first hand 2 sets of my custom build clubs on a machine. Length , lie & loft all wrong!!

Loft and lie are often wrong when custom built by manufacturers.
    Always get them checked straight away.
    Regarding ur sets if they have been used for a lenght of time the loft/lie can change from use.
    Never seen a custom set built to wrong lenght specs that would be almost impossible

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Loft and lie are often wrong when custom built by manufacturers.
    Always get them checked straight away.
    Regarding ur sets if they have been used for a lenght of time the loft/lie can change from use.
    Never seen a custom set built to wrong lenght specs that would be almost impossible

The first time I had a set of mizunos built from halpenny. When I got them they were an inch too long. I'm not joking 1"! I took them to FG and they sorted them and that's when i discovered the club's were off in every aspect.
    The taylormade I had checked yesterday were the correct length but we're fitted wrong for me. I could see that clear as day from the ball striking pattern on the face. That's what I meant.
    I'm just the type of fella who wants to give myself the best chance out there so that's what i do proper fittings. FG won WORLD club maker of the year in 2010 and some people still think it's a gimmick. People are entitled to their opinions for sure but anything I've put up here was based on my fact and findings...I could end up wrapping my new irons around a tree too 🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

The first time I had a set of mizunos built from halpenny. When I got them they were an inch too long. I'm not joking 1"! I took them to FG and they sorted them and that's when i discovered the club's were off in every aspect.
    The taylormade I had checked yesterday were the correct length but we're fitted wrong for me. I could see that clear as day from the ball striking pattern on the face. That's what I meant.
    I'm just the type of fella who wants to give myself the best chance out there so that's what i do proper fittings. FG won WORLD club maker of the year in 2010 and some people still think it's a gimmick. People are entitled to their opinions for sure but anything I've put up here was based on my fact and findings...I could end up wrapping my new irons around a tree too 🀣🀣

clubs built 1" longer than fitted would in all likelihood be an order error from halpenny than mizuno building them wrong.
    Obviously lie angle would then be wrong for u.
    Clubs should have been returned to halpenny and mizuno would have sorted them for u FOC.
    Too many people seen fitted for lightweight x flex clubs by foregolf

Dont buy the 'club building' spiel. Once you have the correct club head, shaft and grip, its really only a matter of sticking the shaft into the head. Then adjust loft, length and lie as necessary. Job done.

They get their heads and shafts from the same manufacturers as Halpenny / McGuirks etc so how can they claim to produce a better product? Maybe they feel that lie angles and lengths are sometimes adjusted carelessly by others? But thats easily checked if you have a pro who has some idea what theyre doing.

Just sounds as if youre paying for the cosseting and the tea to be honest. If theyre confident in the quality of their fitting, that should really be their selling point and they should release full specs to customers afterwards.

World yes WORLD club maker of the year 2010! And the company has only gone from strength to strength since then. That's some 'spiel' pal and if you think the same lads are building clubs in taylormade or mizuno for the pros, pro shops mcguirks etc you are badly mistaken.
    If you read my first post you would haves read ONE person builds clubs for FG in each company. One! That's the worldwide clout these guys hold!

The two fitters Derek and Dave are just back from fitting on the pga tour for God sake & if they don't know their stuff I don't know who does! A young lad in halpenny getting you to hit 10 balls into a screen??

Woods have far less than can go wrong in the build and my m2 driver from the taylormade guys that visit mcguirks is top drawer- I love it!
    But they bring a far more extensive range of shafts with them then halpenny would ever stock. That's good custom fitting.
    A lot of people are sceptical on the building of clubs but if you read into it a bit more it's very Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 27,785 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

World yes WORLD club maker of the year 2010! And the company has only gone from strength to strength since then. That's some 'spiel' pal and if you think the same lads are building clubs in taylormade or mizuno for the pros, pro shops mcguirks etc you are badly mistaken.
    If you read my first post you would haves read ONE person builds clubs for FG in each company. One! That's the worldwide clout these guys hold!

The two fitters Derek and Dave are just back from fitting on the pga tour for God sake & if they don't know their stuff I don't know who does! A young lad in halpenny getting you to hit 10 balls into a screen??

Woods have far less than can go wrong in the build and my m2 driver from the taylormade guys that visit mcguirks is top drawer- I love it!
    But they bring a far more extensive range of shafts with them then halpenny would ever stock. That's good custom fitting.
    A lot of people are sceptical on the building of clubs but if you read into it a bit more it's very Interesting

Lots can happen in 8 years, just because they won an award in 2010 does not mean they still that good.

If they are so good why haven't they won the award again?

And before you jump down my throat to defend them again I am planning on using them in the not to distant future.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Lots can happen in 8 years, just because they won an award in 2010 does not mean they still that good.

If they are so good why haven't they won the award again?

And before you jump down my throat to defend them again I am planning on using them in the not to distant future.

No idea tbh why they haven't won it but is a fair accolade to have. I'm not going to jump down your throat at all here its only discussion. As I said I only opened the thread cause id heard so much about their prices being expensive which wasn't true. Time will tell whether my ne fitting will work this time as it has and hasn't worked before. I will be honest and repost about it. I hope you get on well with FG pal. What are you buying?

No idea tbh why they haven't won it but is a fair accolade to have. I'm not going to jump down your throat at all here its only discussion. As I said I only opened the thread cause id heard so much about their prices being expensive which wasn't true. Time will tell whether my ne fitting will work this time as it has and hasn't worked before. I will be honest and repost about it. I hope you get on well with FG pal. What are you buying?

Going to get a new Driver as I'm still playing with a Taylormade R11 but I'm tempted to change my Taylormade CBs as well.

My dad is changing his Ping irons shortly so I've suggested he try FG out as well. He was looking at the new Ping G700 but I have a feeling he will go with something with a smaller head seeing as he is still talking about his Taylormade RACs that he used years ago and how he loved the look of the club at address.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Going to get a new Driver as I'm still playing with a Taylormade R11 but I'm tempted to change my Taylormade CBs as well.

My dad is changing his Ping irons shortly so I've suggested he try FG out as well. He was looking at the new Ping G700 but I have a feeling he will go with something with a smaller head seeing as he is still talking about his Taylormade RACs that he used years ago and how he loved the look of the club at address.

I'm a taylormade man always have been. I had the r11 and when you upgrade you'll notice some difference its been so long. Mainly In forgiveness. I was pushed into (on the day i got fitted i never missed which is typical) an m1 430cc (the smaller head) one time In a fitting on the tour truck and i hated the club. It was so hard to hit. I'm now fitted from the same guys into an m2 and you will probably go m3 / m4 which is the new version. So easy hit. Id love to try the new rouges from callaway sometime too.

As for irons I was sceptical about the p790s but it was the ball flight did it for me. I play in wind and although the m3 iron goes a bit further it was the way they penetrate was amazing. Love the look too. Time will tell I suppose. Best of luck in the fitting and post as to what you got ðŸ‘
    Just a heads up there is nearly a month wait for FG if your in a hurry so get booking. ✌

I'm a taylormade man always have been. I had the r11 and when you upgrade you'll notice some difference its been so long. Mainly In forgiveness. I was pushed into (on the day i got fitted i never missed which is typical) an m1 430cc (the smaller head) one time In a fitting on the tour truck and i hated the club. It was so hard to hit. I'm now fitted from the same guys into an m2 and you will probably go m3 / m4 which is the new version. So easy hit. Id love to try the new rouges from callaway sometime too.

As for irons I was sceptical about the p790s but it was the ball flight did it for me. I play in wind and although the m3 iron goes a bit further it was the way they penetrate was amazing. Love the look too. Time will tell I suppose. Best of luck in the fitting and post as to what you got ðŸ‘
    Just a heads up there is nearly a month wait for FG if your in a hurry so get booking. ✌

I'm actually leaning towards the 917 (have been hitting my dad's 915 the last few evenings) or the Ping G400 to be honest.

I'm not in a hurry. I'm only back after three years out with a shoulder injury so it'll be the end of the June at least before I go as I'm still not playing the full 18 regularly and want to build everything back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Fitting is one thing i dont really understand. I have stock clubs and seem to get on fine with them. would they go through what you currently have and advise as to what needs to be changed etc? I would be interested in this kind of thing

• Advertisement

Not doubting the lads are good at what they do. Youre not explaining what makes them so much better than anyone else though. Exactly how do they make better 'builds' when the shafts and heads they work with come from the same manufacturers as Halpenny and McGuirks? Am I missing some technique beyond inserting the head into the shaft?

Its interesting that you believe nobody in Ireland outside of 4golf is a competent fitter. Where do think the lads out fitting the tour pros come from? I got custom fitted in Carton by Henry Bryne, who is now on the European Tour working for Titleist fitting their pros. Did he only become competent once he got out there? I also got fitted by a lad in Halpenny recently, fully qualified PGA pro who knew exactly what he was doing, to the point where I couldnt see what he did differently to Henry. Im curious to see what 4golf would do differently but not if theyre going to fit me then not release my specs unless I commit to buying!

And even if they are fitting out on tour, does that really make them fitting Gods? Tiger Woods is lining up his 4th different set of specs in his driver in as many tournements. Does that not indicate his fitter is hopeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Personally, I prefer my local pro......he's not only competent but he's seen me play in my "natural" environment on my home course and in the conditions that prevail there.......and his interests are well aligned with mine in that he wants me to succeed as a golfer because then I'll tell others in the club about the equipment he sold or the lessons (or in my case, both).

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the FG lads know their stuff and are uber-competent to assess and fit players, but unlike your local pro you're not going to see them from one end of the year to the next so there's no ongoing relationship as it were.

Of course, you may not like your local pro or hold them in much regard (or they may, in fact, be sh1te) which would be a good reason for going elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

slingerz wrote: »
    Fitting is one thing i dont really understand. I have stock clubs and seem to get on fine with them. would they go through what you currently have and advise as to what needs to be changed etc? I would be interested in this kind of thing

What does "fine" mean? Are you off scratch?

Yes, they will assess your current clubs. I did that with them a while back with the set of clubs I'd had custom fitted (elsewhere) previously. Their conclusion was that what I have is close enough to being right not to justify changing anything. No attempt to sell me something I didn't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Is there really that much of a difference between the TM R11 and the new drivers M1, M2 or even the newer models M3, M4. I think its just a sales pitch to be honest as drivers are restricted aren't they?

benny79 wrote: »
    Is there really that much of a difference between the TM R11 and the new drivers M1, M2 or even the newer models M3, M4. I think its just a sales pitch to be honest as drivers are restricted aren't they?

I don't know if there's much difference but my R11 isn't in the best condition anymore and the face is badly marked from range balls.

When hitting my dad's 915 I was between 5 to 10 yards further but I really liked the feel off the face more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Yeah have the R11 myself but mine is still in good nick a bit of a love hate relationship got fitted in FG 4 yrs ago got new irons and rescue they told me my driver was my best club in the bag at the time so kept it and I was really struggling with it at the time but he told me that was my swing and to get a few lessons. loved the experience all the same..

Not doubting the lads are good at what they do. Youre not explaining what makes them so much better than anyone else though. Exactly how do they make better 'builds' when the shafts and heads they work with come from the same manufacturers as Halpenny and McGuirks? Am I missing some technique beyond inserting the head into the shaft?

Its interesting that you believe nobody in Ireland outside of 4golf is a competent fitter. Where do think the lads out fitting the tour pros come from? I got custom fitted in Carton by Henry Bryne, who is now on the European Tour working for Titleist fitting their pros. Did he only become competent once he got out there? I also got fitted by a lad in Halpenny recently, fully qualified PGA pro who knew exactly what he was doing, to the point where I couldnt see what he did differently to Henry. Im curious to see what 4golf would do differently but not if theyre going to fit me then not release my specs unless I commit to buying!

And even if they are fitting out on tour, does that really make them fitting Gods? Tiger Woods is lining up his 4th different set of specs in his driver in as many tournements. Does that not indicate his fitter is hopeless?

Never claimed any such thing. If you read the posts I have got happily fitted with taylormade before and still use the driver & 3 wood and have no intention of changing. I love them. I opened a thread on price etc because i wanted people to get an accurate idea of the experience and the prices. I searched boards and found nothing useful to me so i threw a few details of fact and of my experience and people go ape! I can only give my opinion and if people prefer their local pro let them off. Of course there are many fine fitters in Ireland.
    The one surprising thing I have found popping up in the thread is that people actually expect FG to just hands oot their fitting specs! I'm bemused by this...Why on earth would a world class fitting company give out specs so you could go buy elsewhere...I wouldn't ðŸ˜

Never claimed any such thing. If you read the posts I have got happily fitted with taylormade before and still use the driver & 3 wood and have no intention of changing. I love them. I opened a thread on price etc because i wanted people to get an accurate idea of the experience and the prices. I searched boards and found nothing useful to me so i threw a few details of fact and of my experience and people go ape! I can only give my opinion and if people prefer their local pro let them off. Of course there are many fine fitters in Ireland.
    The one surprising thing I have found popping up in the thread is that people actually expect FG to just hands oot their fitting specs! I'm bemused by this...Why on earth would a world class fitting company give out specs so you could go buy elsewhere...I wouldn't ðŸ˜

You did say that nobody in McGuirks or Halpenny is out building clubs for the tour pros. But that doesnt mean that they couldnt. Every tour fitter has to start somewhere and Id be astonished if there were any branches of either store that didnt have a fully qualified fitter on staff.

I think that the outdoor area, range of options and proper golf balls in real weather conditions is to 4golf's favour; Id value all 3 of these for a fitting and as Ive said repeatedly, Im sure the lads are excellent at what they do.

But advertising a custom fitting for 50e or 100e without being prepared to share the results with the client seems bizzare to me. It is as if they want to get you in, then bedazzle you with options and optimism and numbers until you feel like not ordering something would be the biggest mistake you'll ever make.

Having said all that, once I win the lotto, theyl be the first port of call 😀

You did say that nobody in McGuirks or Halpenny is out building clubs for the tour pros. But that doesnt mean that they couldnt. Every tour fitter has to start somewhere and Id be astonished if there were any branches of either store that didnt have a fully qualified fitter on staff.

I think that the outdoor area, range of options and proper golf balls in real weather conditions is to 4golf's favour; Id value all 3 of these for a fitting and as Ive said repeatedly, Im sure the lads are excellent at what they do.

But advertising a custom fitting for 50e or 100e without being prepared to share the results with the client seems bizzare to me. It is as if they want to get you in, then bedazzle you with options and optimism and numbers until you feel like not ordering something would be the biggest mistake you'll ever make.

Having said all that, once I win the lotto, theyl be the first port of call 😀

Ha ha i had the pxg irons in my hands yesterday. 'only' 3500€ for the irons...a bargain sure ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

You’re starting to sound like an advert......

Advertisement