Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacks; Rucksacks and/or Suitcase queries

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭fdevine

Range looks familiar to the Wenger stuff Tesco had on promotion some time ago

Can't vouch for the quality of this stuff but it's very likely you will find similar stuff of equal or better quality for less if you shop around

RRPs one would assume are pure fiction

EDIT: Seems Tesco were doing the Ellehammer stuff as well at one point and also found the following;

http://ellehammerbags-asia.com - if you "wanner" have a look at "Elleharmmer" bags..... :rolleyes:

"WANNER PURCHASE ELLEHARMMER BAGS ONLINE? PLEASE SHOPS WITH BLUNBLU.COM"

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

From the T&C

"- Ellehammer Tokens can only be redeemed once. Ellehammer Tokens cannot be redeemed for cash; they have no monetary value and can only be redeemed towards the Ellehammer Dinnerware Range."

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They had a great rectangular cabin size bag in a previous offer, converted easily to a backpack, with tuckaway straps. I wish I'd got a couple more of them. I don't see them on the current offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭fdevine

spurious wrote: »
    They had a great rectangular cabin size bag in a previous offer, converted easily to a backpack, with tuckaway straps. I wish I'd got a couple more of them. I don't see them on the current offer.

Lots of the CabinMax bags have that. I have two different CabinMax bags and both convert from backback to case but neither have wheels, although you can get wheeled versions

I bought the backpack during their last promotion. I don't think I paid €18.95 for it though :confused:

It's good though, bit volvo ish as in it isn't exactly the coolest bag on the block, but it is solid and does what it should very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Aegir wrote: »
    I bought the backpack during their last promotion. I don't think I paid €18.95 for it though :confused:

It's good though, bit volvo ish as in it isn't exactly the coolest bag on the block, but it is solid and does what it should very well.

I think I have the same one and I've gotten so much use out of it!
    I'd love to get another one but the backpack on offer here looks smaller and more "school bag" with all the zips.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am currently looking to buy some luggage to have for future summer family holidays.

There seems to be a great range of prices, but I'd like something robust and which will last us a few years.

Thing is, I was just looking at some of the options, and some of the hard shell cases can weigh 4.8kg for the large sizes. Thats a lot of your 20kg allowance gone already! The soft ones seem a fair bit lighter.

But the hard ones seem to look a lot better than the softies, haven't seen a really nice set of soft luggage yet.

So what have you got, what do you prefer and any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

Weigh up your needs. I travel between South Africa and here a bit, maybe once a year. We were doing the odd to to Europe here and there but that's quietened down a bit with a kid. Previously I'd have a soft bag (hitchhiker rucksack style) for ease of portability and light weight. I'd supplement with another fairly crap soft bag for extra space on long hauls. If I were buying today I'd probably look at soft shell wheelie bags since my travel is a lot less explorey and I care about weight. I've never been fussed about how bags look, only considered hardshell for the extra protection but I'm happy enough with plastic wrap.

If you do go hard-shell you need somewhere to store them for 330 odd days a year, soft bags pack better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭shinju

Depends on your requirements. I prefer hard shell these days.

Have a small hardshell case with two wheels for small journeys.

Last year purchased a large hardshell case to travel to Asia. That proved a fantastic purchase. So much so that my sister took it to South Africa.

Loads of space in it. Even if one person is only taking a small bag then they can also fit stuff in here. 4 wheels as well which makes for easy travel.

It was a different colour but same version as this:
    http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_36536+T44360_-1

In terms of storage, its large enough that you simply fill it up with other stuff and keep it in a closet or similar. So not a waste of space.

At €75 it's a great price. And there are smaller versions available as well. It's also one of the lightest for its size.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am currently looking to buy some luggage to have for future summer family holidays.

There seems to be a great range of prices, but I'd like something robust and which will last us a few years.

Thing is, I was just looking at some of the options, and some of the hard shell cases can weigh 4.8kg for the large sizes. Thats a lot of your 20kg allowance gone already! The soft ones seem a fair bit lighter.

But the hard ones seem to look a lot better than the softies, haven't seen a really nice set of soft luggage yet.

So what have you got, what do you prefer and any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have a fabric covered hard shell Samsonite spinner that's been in very regular use for over 8 years. It's a bit scuffed on the outside, but has kept its integrity very well overall. I rarely would go over 12kg when travelling, even for a week's work trip. The huge benefit is that its a fixed size and shape and looks neat.

Modern hard shells can be very light, it's worth spending the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Super Valu doing sets if you spend €100 instore to get vouchers...
    https://supervalu.ie/rewards/collect-points/ellehammer-luxury-luggage-range

I'd always go soft case for weight reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

I'm a soft shell fan, but mainly because the hard shells split in the centre and therefore you have to pack two 'halves' and fold them together to close it. I find it much easier to pack one side of a case and close the lid over. It's easier to manage in hotel rooms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

They're small, and a tempting price. I probably wouldn't need to use it all that many times. Are they ok? Does anyone know them ?.
    Thanks
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If they're the hard-shell ones, they're ok. Their weakness is in the corners where they are liable to crack if they're bounced around and land on those. But for the money it'll do you fine.

FWIW, I've heard from a couple of people that Samsonite cases bought out in Kildare Village aren't the bargain you'd expect. One friend of mine who had one damaged on a trip was having serious issues with getting a replacement or repair until he took up the matter on social media.

I'd say go with a Penny's one and save your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Which is your preference?

In the market for a new set of luggage. The current set has a couple of tips & a selection of broken handles/wheels. While they still do their job, I think an upgrade is overdue.

Want to get a set of spinners (4 wheels), the current ones have two and they’re painful. Also want to be able to pick up extra matching cabin ones for the kids.

The current set is about 15 years old and quite heavy although soft material. This allows them a little stretch when packing.

Was thinking of going for a hard set but as far as I can see this would restrict the amount which can go into it & also adds weight (largest comes in at about 4.5kg Vs 3kg for the equivalent soft case).

What’s the preferences these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Just bought a new pair of Samsonite (m) hard cases, they are invaluable on holidays, you can get 20Kg alone of stuff into them. Our old set with two wheels and old style is >20 years old!
    Amazon are doing fairly decent deals on the secure spinner (4 wheel) at the moment or Wardwow (German based outfit) which is also doing deals and is cheaper than Amazon overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

why would anyone go for a 4 wheel spinner case?

The wheels are smaller so not as good on uneven pavements if you have it tipped on 2 wheels.
    If the bag is heavy and the pavement uneven, its next to impossible to push it without it tipping over.
    If you are stopped on a smooth surface, but on a slope, then it will run away from you.
    If you're on a train or underground in the corridor then any time it brakes then it flys across the train if you aren't holding it.
    In the longer term, if you are using it fully laden on 2 wheels (because of the fundamental design flaw of 4 wheelers that they cannot roll on normal surfaces on 4 wheels if fully laden) then eventually one of them will snap off

Maybe somewhere like the USA a 4wheeler makes sense, you go from house to car boot to smooth flat airport, to van/ taxi to your hotel, smooth lobby and then bedroom. No public transport, no walking on streets, the bag barely sees any fresh air let alone uneven surfaces.
    But here in Europe where you do bring a bag on the street or use public transport often for quite long journeys on less than ideal surfaces, they are a pain.

We have a large samsonite 4 wheeler that my wife bought because it was on offer, but I really am wondering why people would voluntarily choose a 4wheel over 2 , if the price was the same ? Am I really missing something in the attraction of 4 wheelers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

why people would voluntarily choose a 4wheel over 2 , if the price was the same ? Am I really missing something in the attraction of 4 wheelers ?

You drag a 2 wheel case behind you like a dead body and have to pull its entire weight

Whilst a 4 wheeler glides along beside you and requires a lot less effort to walk long distances (e.g. Airport concourses or train stations)

In fact once the 4 wheeler starts to move it pretty much moves itself and requires little intervention beyond steering

Of course that only works on flat surfaces, when you get to an uneven surface you convert the 4 wheel to 2 wheel mode and go back to dragging it

There is no way I would go back to a 2 wheeler after getting used to the 4 wheeler, it absolutely cuts the effort required and energy expended

So I've had my old rucksack for 5+ years, and she's getting a little old. I've been looking into some new bags, and honestly the ones I've seen are either too small or not utilitarian enough (not enough pockets) for travel - I often go away of a weekend with just a backpack.
    I was hoping people here could recommend me some options that won't break the bank?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hijack a thread, but can't see a similar one.

Can I ask ye guys, I haven't flown with Ryanair since they brought in the new baggage restrictions. How strict are they with it? Like, do they actually check the sizing of every bag that goes through or is it just if it's obviously oversized?

I have a backpack that I've always brought with me on the plane. Fits under the seat in front if need be.

However, it's marginally bigger than the size limits. Their limits are 25x20x40. My bag is 32x18x40. Slightly shallower, but a tad wider.

Is it worth chancing it, or am I most certainly walking my way into an extra fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,877 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Backpacks are grand because they can scrunch up or be compacted. It's heavy plastic suitcases you need to be careful. They watch out for those because they're trickier to fit.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I appreciate it folks, thanks very much :)

Can I ask ye guys one last quick question - I've flown with Ryanair in the past where, if you're among the last getting on the plane, they take your bag and you have to check it in.

Personally, I don't mind this at all.

If I have a checked bag, and a cabin bag, when I'm checking in my checked bag, can I volunteer my cabin bag aswell? (so i don't have to carry it through the airport etc.)? Or is that not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can I ask ye guys one last quick question - I've flown with Ryanair in the past where, if you're among the last getting on the plane, they take your bag and you have to check it in.

Personally, I don't mind this at all.

If I have a checked bag, and a cabin bag, when I'm checking in my checked bag, can I volunteer my cabin bag aswell? (so i don't have to carry it through the airport etc.)? Or is that not allowed?

It's allowed but they charge you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I have a backpack that is almost full cabin sized, at 33 x 20 x 50cm. Have used it a good bit over the last year with 'small bag only' bookings and it's never even been looked at so you should be fine. Things can vary from airport to airport though - I had a flight with Ryanair from Prague last year and an absolute Nazi of a gate agent checked size and weight of every single cabin bag (wheel ones anyway)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Caquas

I have a backpack that is almost full cabin sized, at 33 x 20 x 50cm. ....I had a flight with Ryanair from Prague last year and an absolute Nazi of a gate agent checked size and weight of every single cabin bag (wheel ones anyway)!

The missus just returned from Prague with Ryanair and ran into a similar attitude when boarding but she pointed out that she had taken the same bag on her Ryanair flight to Prague without any difficulties so the Czech agent backed down. Her bag was exactly the right size (40cm x 20cm x 25cm). If everyone stuck to one bag of this size there’d be room for everyone in the overhead bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

Caquas wrote: »
    The missus just returned from Prague with Ryanair and ran into a similar attitude when boarding but she pointed out that she had taken the same bag on her Ryanair flight to Prague without any difficulties so the Czech agent backed down. Her bag was exactly the right size (40cm x 20cm x 25cm). If everyone stuck to one bag of this size there’d be room for everyone in the overhead bins.

No there wouldn’t, the overhead bins only take an average of 90 bags with them dimensions for an aircraft with 189 seats

Advertisement