Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favorite USS Enterprise NCC-1701 design

• 14-02-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Warning might contain Spoilers for anyone who has not yet watched Discovery;

So which USS Enterprise is your favorite now that we have a new version of it to admire now as well?

I like the new design it looks really good but there is a few small details on it I do not like or see the point of.

I really like this one myself. It's the one that should have been used in the last three films.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mwZBdSw

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Im still a fan of the USS Enterprise Refit /A.

Thats my favourite. Its a sexy ship. And the bridge from Khan & Undiscovered County bridges fitted well

The new Discovery version is pretty sexy though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

If you mean of all the Constitution class versions the refit is my favourite. Across all the ships named Enterprise I'd have to go with E.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, it's difficult to find fault with the refit. Great looking skip.

This pre-refit update in Discovery does look good too. Would need to see more of it to compare though.

The D is my favourite overall.

Goodshape wrote: »
    This pre-refit update in Discovery does look good too. Would need to see more of it to compare though.
    It's nice alright but I think the swirling bussard collector don't fit with the aesthetic of the rest of the STD designs. Something closer to the refit might have been a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm going to say something controversial here. I like TNG. I don't like the Enterprise D. It's just too flat looking. It's like a pancake sitting on a stand. Original movies Enterprise was nice and I even have a soft spot for the NX-01. I like the smaller ships like the NX-74205 Defiant, Voyager and the Franklin.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I'm going to say something controversial here. I like TNG. I don't like the Enterprise D. It's just too flat looking. It's like a pancake sitting on a stand. Original movies Enterprise was nice and I even have a soft spot for the NX-01. I like the smaller ships like the NX-74205 Defiant, Voyager and the Franklin.

What I like about the D is that it looks huge, impressive, and totally non-militaristic. It looks like a ship built during a time of peace and prosperity. A city in space, with warp drive. An impossible shape of a thing that could only exist in the weightlessness of space.

I'm always surprised when looking at size charts that it's roughly the same as the E, and actually a little shorter bow to stern. And it's not that much larger than the Enterprise B or C.

Looking at those charts makes me appreciate the D a little less to be honest. I know the E was constructed later (obviously), but the D is a Galaxy Class starship. I think they should have scaled back a bit on the E just to maintain the majesty of the Galaxy Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

You do realize the very title of this thread, that is intended to help avoid spoiling that the Enterprise turns up in Discovery... actually gives away that the Enterprise turns up in Discovery :D

I'm a fan of the D too. Added bonus of the separating saucer section. Pity that was only rolled out on a handful of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

To be fair the title also says NCC-1701 and people have gone off to the D and E etc. I think the OP means NCC-1701, refit, Abrams, or Discovery versions. Or the animated one is you're a weirdo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Of the original 1701's... refit, classic TOS and the DSC version - the Abrams one is an abomination. NX-01.. not my cup of tea either

Other "Enterprises"... -D (just love the design), All Good Things future -D (aka Galaxy-X), -B (always loved the Excelsior class), -C (nice bridge between the refit and the -D), and then the -E (just never really liked it)

Other Trek ships I like... Cardassian Galor, Klingon Vor'cha & BoP, Romulan D'Deridex Warbird, Jem'Hadar fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

To be fair the title also says NCC-1701 and people have gone off to the D and E etc. I think the OP means NCC-1701, refit, Abrams, or Discovery versions. Or the animated one is you're a weirdo :P

You got it in one. That is what I meant but I don't mind if people what to talk about other ships too.
    I always loved the Enterprise D. It's my favorite Enterprise but the Original series Enterprise is a classic design and the refit is just such a perfect ship.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Nice thing about Disco's 1701, I can really see that being refit into the TMP / TWOK version. Update the nacelles, maybe a new neck, little touch-ups here and there, and you have the refit.

Whereas I never really bought the idea that the movie version was 'just' a refit of the TOS ship. There's really nothing of the original left.

Ms

Nice thing about Disco's 1701, I can really see that being refit into the TMP / TWOK version. Update the nacelles, maybe a new neck, little touch-ups here and there, and you have the refit.

Whereas I never really bought the idea that the movie version was 'just' a refit of the TOS ship. There's really nothing of the original left.

I agree about that. Also angle the nacelle pylon back and get rid of the space that's in them as it serves no purpose. What is it about the ship designers for Discovery and their negative space ares on ships.

Whereas I never really bought the idea that the movie version was 'just' a refit of the TOS ship. There's really nothing of the original left

I don't think it was a refit. It was meant to be a retro version of the Enterprise but instead of making her an instant classic and as beautiful as the Original it just made it look terrible and ill proportioned.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I don't think it was a refit. It was meant to be a retro version of the Enterprise but instead of making her an instant classic and as beautiful as the Original it just made it look terrible and ill proportioned.

The old movie version, I meant, not the Kelvin timeline.

The refit we saw from TMP onwards doesn't really have anything of the TOS ship in it bar a basic outline.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The other thing that bugged me about the refit (as gorgeous as it was), was that Starfleet invest a lot of energy into updating the class, and then demote her to training vessel by WoK and want to decommission her entirely by TSFS.. kinda stupid in my view given the Excelsior was still a prototype at that point

The argument that "the Enterprise is 20 years old" doesn't really hold up when you consider Decker's "this is an almost totally new Enterprise" either.

Ms

The old movie version, I meant, not the Kelvin timeline.

The refit we saw from TMP onwards doesn't really have anything of the TOS ship in it bar a basic outline.

That makes more sense alright.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The other thing that bugged me about the refit (as gorgeous as it was), was that Starfleet invest a lot of energy into updating the class, and then demote her to training vessel by WoK and want to decommission her entirely by TSFS.. kinda stupid in my view given the Excelsior was still a prototype at that point

The argument that "the Enterprise is 20 years old" doesn't really hold up when you consider Decker's "this is an almost totally new Enterprise" either.
    It's not the years, it's the milage. Or it might be there was some fatal flaw in the design. We see plenty of Miranda and Excelsior classes knocking about 50 to 100 years after they were first introduced but no Constitution classes.

EDIT: There was apparently one Constitution class at the battle of Wolf 359.

That 20 years remark was a mistake, it would have been around 40 years old by then.

But otherwise, yeah. And then they replace it with basically a carbon copy, which also gets decommissioned less than (I think) 10 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

That 20 years remark was a mistake, it would have been around 40 years old by then.

But otherwise, yeah. And then they replace it with basically a carbon copy, which also gets decommissioned less than (I think) 10 years later.

They never made it canon, but the A was supposed to be the refit of Yorktown, which was probably just as old, or older. She might have been nearing 50 by then.

Certainly the Constitution class doesn't seem to have had the same lifespan as the Miranda, Soyuz and Excelsior classes, but it's worth noting two things:
    1. We never see any 23rd century ships of those classes still active in the 24th century- Enterprise B seems to have been decommissioned in less than 50 years, so probably Hood and the others are second or third generation Excelsior classes.
    2. We don't know how old the constitution class design was. I'd assume Enterprise wasn't the first. The the intention by at least one designer was that "1701" meant hull design 17, ship 1, but what then do we make of Republic (NCC-1371) or Constellation (NCC-1017)? Maybe when it was commissioned in 2245, Enterprise was already the second or third generation of a class that was decades old, perhaps even dating to the end of the 22nd century?

The gaps in the canon leave so many possibilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

A is kinda sexy but D takes some beating. The odd thing about it though is it looks amazing head on but really gammy from certain angles. Made the model of it years ago and predictably, it was so top/front heavy it wouldn’t sit on the stand that came with so you ended up either hanging it from the ceiling with thread(not fun or easy) or just dumping it :)

Voyager and Defiant were to great designs also.

They never made it canon, but the A was supposed to be the refit of Yorktown, which was probably just as old, or older. She might have been nearing 50 by then.

Certainly the Constitution class doesn't seem to have had the same lifespan as the Miranda, Soyuz and Excelsior classes, but it's worth noting two things:
    1. We never see any 23rd century ships of those classes still active in the 24th century- Enterprise B seems to have been decommissioned in less than 50 years, so probably Hood and the others are second or third generation Excelsior classes.
    2. We don't know how old the constitution class design was. I'd assume Enterprise wasn't the first. The the intention by at least one designer was that "1701" meant hull design 17, ship 1, but what then do we make of Republic (NCC-1371) or Constellation (NCC-1017)? Maybe when it was commissioned in 2245, Enterprise was already the second or third generation of a class that was decades old, perhaps even dating to the end of the 22nd century?

The gaps in the canon leave so many possibilities.
    Although not a perfect way of measuring, especially since NCC-1031 seems to have been commissioned after NCC-1701, there are three low four character registry ships in TNG and DS9 which could be from around the time of the TOS movies and still in service. Two are Miranda Class USS Lantree, USS Trial, and one Excelsior Class USS Repulse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The Defiant is the best ship by a country mile.

In terms of Enterprises...... I’m eager to see this new one. If the bridge is of similar design to Discovery I’m going to have to pick that one but until now its the refit.

I love the bridge of Discovery. Has a darker lighting to it like Voyager had. The Orville is lit up like the Enterprise D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I do love the longer nacelled ones.
    The A, C and D all look a little dumpy.

The Excelsior and Sovereign are the pick of the bunch for me.

The TNG films are all absolute trash but the new Enterprise from First Contact was hella cool.

Ms

Gbear wrote: »
    I do love the longer nacelled ones.
    The A, C and D all look a little dumpy.

The Excelsior and Sovereign are the pick of the bunch for me.

The TNG films are all absolute trash but the new Enterprise from First Contact was hella cool.

I disagree. They all look great. If anything I think the C would have looked worse if we got version the originally wanted. I like the Enterprise C that we got and do not think any of the ships look dumpy.

I also like all the TNG films and they are no way trash. Sure some of the lines in Insurrection are a bit cheesy but they are also funny and there is the cool battle in the nebula against the Son'a.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Rawr

I kind of guessed that Enterprise was one of the earlier and most used of her class, and that there were many other Constitution class ships out there in better condition. Also she was bad shape after Wrath of Khan, having been strategically shot to bits by the Reliant. For whatever reasons it might not have been practical to fully repair her.

(Also plot-wise, I guess the plan to scrap her was mentioned so that it would look better to have her die in battle against the Klingons rather than being broken up in the fleet yards - it remains an awesome scene even after many re-watches)

What I always wondered was why the Miranda-Class (and ship with glaring similarities to the refit) appears throughout the TNG-era while the refit doesn't. I know that practically this may have been due to the availability of ship-models etc.. while shooting the shows, but Miranda was still considered good enough for TNG-era Starfleet, but not the Constitution? The refit might have made more sense if the plan was to make them last as long as the Miranda. (One original TNG plan had the Enterprise as the refit and not a Galaxy Class!)

Rawr wrote: »
    What I always wondered was why the Miranda-Class (and ship with glaring similarities to the refit) appears throughout the TNG-era while the refit doesn't. I know that practically this may have been due to the availability of ship-models etc.. while shooting the shows, but Miranda was still considered good enough for TNG-era Starfleet, but not the Constitution? The refit might have made more sense if the plan was to make them last as long as the Miranda. (One original TNG plan had the Enterprise as the refit and not a Galaxy Class!)

From an in universe perspective I can think of a few possible reasons.
    • There was a massive flaw discovered in the ship's design (or in its refitting)
    • Its role was superseded by Excelsior and Ambassador* class ships and the Miranda class' wasn't
    • It was always intended as a short life stop gap class and the refit was needed to squeeze a few more years out of the design while the Excelsior class was still under construction

Advertisement