Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic car Mechanic- Midlands

• 20-03-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a classic car mechanic in the midlands?
    Preferably Westmeath (or Longford, Offaly)

I find that most 'regular' mechanics don't want to see me coming in my 40+ year old rustbucket!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

what is it

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭johnml

it's an MGB

What does it need

i'm just about to take it out of winter storage so a service and suspension, brakes, cooling system etc checked.
    No issues 5 months ago when it went in but I like to make sure everything is in order.

So its a general check really before your first spin.

Where are you located

• Advertisement

That's it. And someone to bring it to long term for services and repairs.

I'm in Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

On the way into clara from Kilbeggan, on the lefthand side by Paynes garage,

is a garage repair operated by 2 excellent polish mechanics. That are familiar

with classics as well as modern. Our familiy has had many car jobs done, when we

are too busy working our own classics. These guys do genuine work, and are extremely

reasonable. You wont be disappointed. And they are only down the road from Mullingar,

and you wont have to rob a bank.

kadman wrote: »
    On the way into clara from Kilbeggan, on the lefthand side by Paynes garage,

is a garage repair operated by 2 excellent polish mechanics. That are familiar

with classics as well as modern. Our familiy has had many car jobs done, when we

are too busy working our own classics. These guys do genuine work, and are extremely

reasonable. You wont be disappointed. And they are only down the road from Mullingar,

and you wont have to rob a bank.

Payne's is the Maxol station located just off a roundabout isn't it?

That sounds exactly like what I'm after.... somebody with some degree of interest!

Thanks a million for the recommendation! I'll be over to them in a couple of weeks

Thats them. You wont be disappointed, and you wont be the first classic in there.

They had a beautiful mercedes 1984 vintage that was done there. And we have had a lot of the run of the mill

modern repairs too. Brakes, suspension, bodywork, electrics, timing belts. All the usual suspects.

And they have done many engine changes as well, that your local dealers wont touch.

Definitely call in and have a chat anyway.

• Advertisement

Great stuff.

You mentioned bodywork as well. I've just bought a secondhand door that needs to be painted and put on. Would they do that as well?

I know they are doing replacement panels on a 1936 car, that they had to make.

So a door fit shouldn't be a big ask.

I can get you a number tomorrow if you want

Tim

That would be great Tim and thanks again.
    I drive from Mullingar to Athlone to work so they're not by any means out of my way.
    John

I,ll do that then. You probably pass my house on the way:)

PM sent.

Advertisement