Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic car insurance where daily driver is a commercial

• 09-03-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of buying a classic car. I had assumed that the insurance would be straightforward, but I'd forgotten what an unhelpful bunch they are, with their stupid criteria.

My insurance broker can't get me cover because my daily driver is a pick up, which is commercial. The agent tells me they won't insure me on a classic car, as I might be driving all over the place in it, using it daily. I pointed out that there would no doubt be a mileage restriction on any classic insurance policy I would get, which I would be fine with. But that's not good enough. They want my main car to be non-commercial.

Has anyone come across the ridiculous requirement? Jesus, this country drives me around the bend at times.

I had a classic car 10-15 years ago when my main car was a Trooper, which was commercial. So I must have got around this before, but for the life of me can't remember who I was insured with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Your best bet is not to get classic insurance but just a normal policy as they nearly all require you to have another car insured as your main vehicle to get classic cover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This was years ago, but back then Carole Nash insured me on a few classics when my main driver was a company van.
    Their policy simply required me to have the use of another vehicle.
    Try them. As I said, years ago, don't know if that's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I was having similar nonsense trying to insure a 28 yo MX5 - a lot of them use the excuse its a Jap to refuse me classic insurance.
    Brophy's in Portlaoise seemed to have no issues and were very straight forward to deal with.
    I have no idea who the underwriter is, but they seemed more concerned with GETTING me insured than looking for an excuse to stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I was having similar nonsense trying to insure a 28 yo MX5 - a lot of them use the excuse its a Jap to refuse me classic insurance.
    Brophy's in Portlaoise seemed to have no issues and were very straight forward to deal with.
    I have no idea who the underwriter is, but they seemed more concerned with GETTING me insured than looking for an excuse to stop me.

That's good to know, I'm a couple of months away from putting my 97 Prelude back on the road.
    I'd been told that no company in the Republic would touch it, even though it's a stock, Irish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Thanks guys. I'll try Carole Nash first, and then Brophys. Last resort is getting a non-classic policy as liam7831 suggested. It's a 3 litre, so it won't be cheap.
    The car is a 1992, so I'm in a similar position to you RobAMerc.
    A German lad told me recently about the brilliant system they have there. You get insurance for one registration plate, which you can move around to as many of your classics as you like. Heaven forbid such a simple system would be introduced here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I've been using first ireland brokers for my classic insurance for years, Only one car, no daily driver required, but it does seem to be a bit hit and miss on what they will insure under the classic policy and yearly millage limit is 6000. Car needs to be at least 20 years old and driver at least 25. And no jap imports covered.

All you can do is give them a call and see.

Carol Nash told me a 92 MX5 was "just and old car " - First Ireland had no interest either.

They seemed open to some non Jap 20yo cars - not sure what though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Carol Nash told me a 92 MX5 was "just and old car " - First Ireland had no interest either.

They seemed open to some non Jap 20yo cars - not sure what though

Rediculous stuff. These types of cars are classics to us, but not to them apparently.

So Carol Nash told me today that a 96 Alfa Spider isn't a classic and they have no Peugeots are on their list at all !

I guess strictly the Alfa isnt but I think it would be impossible to insure otherwise as I cannot use my NCB on it - its probably headed for the scrapper if it cant be.

But the fact NO Peugeots are included is just stupid.

Just to be clear, I am not looking for a cheap way to insure a second car. I am looking for a rolling resto car that I can enjoy for 3 months a year without breaking the bank.

Seems insurance is spoiling my fun like it did when I was 20 and wanted a 5 GT Turbo!

Carole Nash will insure me. They didn't seem at all bothered about the commercial daily driver. In fact they were a pleasure to deal with.
    Thanks for the help. I'll post an auld pic when I get the car.

• Advertisement

outfox wrote: »
    Carole Nash will insure me. They didn't seem at all bothered about the commercial daily driver. In fact they were a pleasure to deal with.
    Thanks for the help. I'll post an auld pic when I get the car.

What is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I'd forgotten what an unhelpful bunch they are, with their stupid criteria.

It think it has to be said that insurance companies are a business and if a business doesn't make a profit, it goes bust! If it wants to stay in business, it either hikes up the rates to make money or gets out of that type of business.

The classic car insurance business in this country is a mess. Their 'stupid criteria' as you call it is a result of the scammers, chancers and crash for cash merchants. Simple. We all know the culprits so whinge to them.

What is it ?

W124 300ce.
    I'd been looking for a W140 coupe for a while, specifically the CL500. But most of the ones I saw were 96-98, and there's no way I could afford the tax before classic tax kicks in. While I was waiting, the W124 caught my eye. They're a beautiful shape, even in sedan and estate form.

W124 300ce.
    I'd been looking for a W140 coupe for a while, specifically the CL500. But most of the ones I saw were 96-98, and there's no way I could afford the tax before classic tax kicks in. While I was waiting, the W124 caught my eye. They're a beautiful shape, even in sedan and estate form.

I'm a huge fan - ( as is everyone here I think )
    Well ware!

By way of an update Campion said they will do either Alfa or Mazda - so I'm good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭elperello

W124 300ce.

Just reminded me I saw a nice clean CL 500 on the road today. Tax out since August, NCT out since January and no insurance disc. If you are bold enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

W124 300ce.
    While I was waiting, the W124 caught my eye. They're a beautiful shape, even in sedan and estate form.

I have 2 x S124's 1 x W124 and 1 x W126 insured on classic policy (5000 mile limit on each) with AXA for just under €450 and my daily is a company car.

How can this be expensive on €40k's worth of cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

So Carol Nash told me today that a 96 Alfa Spider isn't a classic and they have no Peugeots are on their list at all !

I guess strictly the Alfa isnt but I think it would be impossible to insure otherwise as I cannot use my NCB on it - its probably headed for the scrapper if it cant be.

But the fact NO Peugeots are included is just stupid.

Just to be clear, I am not looking for a cheap way to insure a second car. I am looking for a rolling resto car that I can enjoy for 3 months a year without breaking the bank.

Seems insurance is spoiling my fun like it did when I was 20 and wanted a 5 GT Turbo!

Carol Nash told me the same regarding my 96 gtv.
    Autoline were happy to give me a 5000 mile limit fully comp insurance for 350. Includes 60 says cover in Europe too.
    Was only 25 euro to add the lancia onto it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

I'm in the process of buying a classic car. I had assumed that the insurance would be straightforward, but I'd forgotten what an unhelpful bunch they are, with their stupid criteria.

My insurance broker can't get me cover because my daily driver is a pick up, which is commercial. The agent tells me they won't insure me on a classic car, as I might be driving all over the place in it, using it daily. I pointed out that there would no doubt be a mileage restriction on any classic insurance policy I would get, which I would be fine with. But that's not good enough. They want my main car to be non-commercial.

Has anyone come across the ridiculous requirement? Jesus, this country drives me around the bend at times.

I had a classic car 10-15 years ago when my main car was a Trooper, which was commercial. So I must have got around this before, but for the life of me can't remember who I was insured with.

Did you try campion insurance. They told me they would insure me and they said it was ok my policy was commercial

w124man wrote: »
    How can this be expensive on €40k's worth of cars?

I think that's great value. I don't mind paying the premium, when it's reasonably reasonable. What drives me cracked are the silly little criteria they apply when deciding whether to insure or not. Like the cars over 15 years thing, etc.

jasushaw wrote: »
    Did you try campion insurance. They told me they would insure me and they said it was ok my policy was commercial

I got sorted in the end with C Nash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement