Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scummy Irish, Wales sh1t and Messi freak

• 15-03-2018 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

https://youtu.be/-btm103ZXN4

I watched half of that clip and by then Eddie Jones had said:

- Messi is a freak
    - Wales a Sh1t place
    - the Irish are scummy
    - the Japanese are too small
    and patronised the audience re Roger Bannister

Then I stopped watching.

Come on England - it's time for this plank to walk the plank

Comments

The gentleman sitting behind Eddie Jones is an Irish guy, which is why he turned around and looked at him as he said it jokingly.

Messi is a freak of nature in being literally uniquely excellent at something, Japanese men and women are on average 1.5" shorter than UK men and women, and in fairness, I've said Wales is a **** place jokingly myself.

This was a leadership talk for the head company of the RFU's sponsor (Fuso > Mitsubishi), not a newspaper interview, or a public appearance. It's less formal and less serious.

Get a grip, yeah? Just because it's the internet it doesn't mean that you have to be offended by stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The gentleman sitting behind Eddie Jones is an Irish guy, which is why he turned around and looked at him as he said it jokingly.

Messi is a freak of nature in being literally uniquely excellent at something, Japanese men and women are on average 1.5" shorter than UK men and women, and in fairness, I've said Wales is a **** place jokingly myself.

This was a leadership talk for the head company of the RFU's sponsor (Fuso > Mitsubishi), not a newspaper interview, or a public appearance. It's less formal and less serious.

Get a grip, yeah? Just because it's the internet it doesn't mean that you have to be offended by stuff.

ah, that makes it all okay.

If you can understand that other people may have a sense of humour that doesn't exactly mirror yours, and then appreciate that he's being tongue-in-cheek at a private event, yes.

"The brilliant players, unless they're an absolute freak like a Messi, can't play at that level every week, so they tend to...the brilliant players might give you a 9 out of 10 performance, but then the next week they might drop to a 4 out of 10 performance"

The Wales comment comes when he starts talking about Japan U20s playing Wales U20s. He stops, asks who knows Wales and are there any Welsh people there, gets a few responses and says "it's this little **** place" and gets a few laughs, presumably from the people who responded.

Really OP? That's what you're getting upset about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

If you can understand that other people may have a sense of humour that doesn't exactly mirror yours, and then appreciate that he's being tongue-in-cheek at a private event, yes.

Describing a nation of people as scummy is some kind of humour?

laugh wrote: »
    Describing a nation of people as scummy is some kind of humour?

When you're directing the comment at a friend who's from that nation?

Yes. It's actually a fairly common form of humour, fake-insult a friend over where they're from (or something along those lines).

I always thought we had a fairly good, dry sense of humour as a nation. Seems some people want to ruin me that preconception for me.

It's actually a decent talk for what it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I actually had a listen to it when I went for a stroll earlier. It's actually an interesting enough talk - some interesting points on team cohesion and what he did with Japan. He's just not particularly funny so those jokes don't come off great.

Edit - just as an example, I help out with a bit of soccer coaching with some u16s - they're a lovely group of lads, but we're always commenting that there doesn't seem to be a leader among them. It's dawned on me from listening to Jones that we could give a few of them more chances to lead things in training, and maybe that might result in a few more voices on the pitch. Amazing what you can learn by listening instead of looking to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Let's just win on Saturday. He can say what he likes after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Flincher wrote:
    He's just not particularly funny so those jokes don't come off great.
    Nail on the head there.
    As my mother used to say - making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Nothing to see here so move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I always thought we had a fairly good, dry sense of humour as a nation. Seems some people want to ruin me that preconception for me.

99.9% of people would laugh it off in real life don't worry.

When some people get behind a computer screen though they just have to be offended by something, or jumping on some sort of PC bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

His comments were crass. Why else is the RFU apologising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Quint2010 wrote: »
    His comments were crass. Why else is the RFU apologising?

PR.

I would imagine 90% of people have said something equally bad about another nation whether they admit it or not.

I've called people from certain places "scummy" at one point or another. It would be a flippant, tongue in cheek generalisation that I didn't actually believe but I'm certain I'd have said it at one point or another as would most people.

As for calling Wales a sh*tty place, people have called Newport and Swansea worse on this forum a number of times and nobody bats an eyeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

There was once a time, we were known for our sense of humour and being able to have the craic.
    I miss those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    There was once a time, we were known for our sense of humour and being able to have the craic.
    I miss those days.

Stop stereotyping us ;)

Buer wrote: »

I've called people from certain places "scummy" at one point or another. It would be a flippant, tongue in cheek generalisation that I didn't actually believe but I'm certain I'd have said it at one point or another as would most people.

100%

Or else slagged off a place where someone is from to their face, in purely a joking manner.

All this hyper-sensitive nonsense would drive ya daft. Twitter is the absolute pits these days.

If a high ranking member of a sports team or coach said "jokingly" in a public environment that The Queen was "scummy" what do you think the reaction would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

This was picked up and latched onto by the Social Media "News" outlets and splashed all over Facebook, Twitter etc. Not because any of them were particularly outraged, but for the week that's in it, pure clickbait. I didn't bother watching it myself, but I knew it was probably in a jokey way he meant it. A head coach is not going to start supplying free ammo to teams that he knows can already compete.

Eddie Jones may be many things, but he's not an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If a high ranking member of a sports team or coach said "jokingly" in a public environment that The Queen was "scummy" what do you think the reaction would be?

Just because others act like **** doesn't mean we have to join them.

Gbear wrote: »
    Just because others act like **** doesn't mean we have to join them.

Well quite. They'd be offended and outraged though.

If Jones called Michael D Higgins scummy, then your analogy would be accurate, but he didn't, he made a jokey (albeit not very funny) remark to an Irish colleague on the stage.

I would guess he would have said "We lost to the ****ing Irish" but didn't want to use the f word on stage and made a poor choice in his alternative word.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But he didn't. Commenting specifically on a single individual is very different to what Jones did.

And even if he did, if it was a clearly glib comment then it would still be much ado about nothing although I could understand why offence would be taken in that instance. People make a living from savaging public figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's a CONSPIRACY!

Jones leaked the video himself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭adamhughes

some leadership talk, what a idiot jones is, he's only motivated Ireland more to kick their butts

adamhughes wrote: »
    some leadership talk, what a idiot jones is, he's only motivated Ireland more to kick their butts

Was this talk not months ago?

Complete non-story rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

It seems very opportunistic that it should 'leak' now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

English coach says something Englishy?

It's a nice little story for the week that's in it (and it'll be a bit of craic to send it on to English friends if we win) but beyond that 'tis a storm in a very small teacup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

adamhughes wrote: »

To paraphrase Jamie Heaslip on the Leinster Munster rivalry.

"It's the Grand Slam in Twickenham, if you can't get motivated for that, go home"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's an overreaction to a nothing really. It's an old video, taken at a private function and published this week to provoke outrage.

I wonder did he ever say anything silly on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

jr86 wrote: »
    Was this talk not months ago?

Complete non-story rubbish

Yes, from sometime last year.
    He says "We have them at home next year ......etc."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Buer wrote: »
    PR.
    As for calling Wales a sh*tty place, people have called Newport and Swansea worse on this forum a number of times and nobody bats an eyeled.

https://youtu.be/KcE59yXpvuk

Eddie is a big fan of Twin Towns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yes, from sometime last year.
    He says "We have them at home next year ......etc."

Apparently it's been knocking around since last july on YouTube - so hardly a scoop!

Plus, the camera work looks very professional so I'm guessing it was a corporate video - again, not something surreptitiously recorded on a mobile.

.....the only real criticism is that he was a bit indiscreet in so public a forum and I'm not sure the corporate sponsors would want language like that used in relation to countries where they might be hoping to sell a few trucks/vehicles.

Perhaps having a video describing a country as 'scummy' when you are a significant supplier of vehicles to that country's defence forces is the best marketing move ever, but hardly grounds for resignation, public flogging or whatever it is the baying mob think should happen to him.

Advertisement