Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI - Questions and concerns in GV and the job

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41149550

As we have been talking about social media, I figured this article from today was quite relevant.

It doesn't say why exactly the officer was arrested but probably acts as a good reminder for us to be extremely careful about the things we post.

Not sure if related...

http://news.sky.com/story/psni-hired-cybersecurity-firm-to-unmask-twitter-critics-of-chief-constable-11012405

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Was he charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Not trying to fear munger at all.
    I know someone in the prison service who says that the media plays down the threat. Are incidents like the one here on security services ? Or is it paramilitary fued related? BBC never states.

Larne: Shots fired into bedroom as children sleep
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41227327

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

takodah wrote: »
    I know someone in the prison service who says that the media plays down the threat. Are incidents like the one here on security services ?  Or is it paramilitary fued related? BBC never states.

We wont know. The PSNI wont come out and say it was a member of security forces because it puts them at risk. Best to let them think they targeted an innocent family. Its most likely part of fued though, happens quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I've only heard a bit of news today but was it not clearly intimated by Supernintendo Darrin Jones that it was part of feuding in Larne?

Also the unnamed occupant of the house spoke to reporters; would that be likely if it was an attack on police, etc.?

• Advertisement

takodah wrote: »
    I know someone in the prison service who says that the media plays down the threat. Are incidents like the one here on security services ? Or is it paramilitary fued related? BBC never states.

The threat level for NI related terrorism is rated as SEVERE for a reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

People we discussing declaring their memberships of the orange order and I assume the AOH etc at the end of GV. Can I ask, what're the implications for such declarations? Are you compelled to disclose these details? Would you potentially be prevented from certain roles because of these previous (and maybe defunct) associations?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 scuba lad

What is the job really like?
    Heard moral is pretty low...is this just in some districts or the gendral feeling in response?

scuba lad wrote: »
    What is the job really like?
    Heard moral is pretty low...is this just in some districts or the gendral feeling in response?
    In one word, demanding. Its no secret that its a high stress job, not just with the workload and shift work, but also with the threat level. Second guessing everyone you come into contact with, assessing a situation before getting out of your vehicle, checking your own vehicle for an IED. It all adds up!
    Morale is low. Lower than the police numbers which is saying something. We're headed for less that 6000 officers in the next few years, but the demand for police is still higher than ever. Response shift pattern is pants but hopefully may be changing, which would increase morale slightly.
    However, having said all that, I wouldnt change my job for anything. I love it. I love the satisfaction of helping people. I LOVE catching burglars, drug dealers etc. The buzz outweighs the negative parts of the job. Anyone joining should realistically expect the job to be stressful and busy.

• Advertisement

Thankyou Majgreen..a good honest account of what its really llike. I heard of a few people just joining for the good pay /pension but couldnt heck it so jack it in. Response back to 12hr shifts maybe?

I assume your working im Belfast?
    Just wondering if its as stressful out in the sticks?

I can't really speak for the country bais but I'm sure they still have their moments

Advertisement