Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you manage niggles that don't stop you from running?

• 14-03-2018 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

So firstly I'm not looking for medical advice

I have a niggle just under my bum that seems to be more noticeable if I stretch my hamstring. It hasn't stopped me running at all but I wonder do people do strengthening for the area or do they rest completely until its gone?

I didnt run for five days during the snow due to a bug. I though that would have got rid of the problem but its still there. I have it at least six weeks now but its not really bad and doesnt stop me exercising.

I have a few short races coming up so didnt really want to stop altogether.

Any tips or feedback?

I also have had a few massages on the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

joey1111 wrote: »
    So firstly I'm not looking for medical advice

I have a niggle just under my bum that seems to be more noticeable if I stretch my hamstring. It hasn't stopped me running at all but I wonder do people do strengthening for the area or do they rest completely until its gone?

I didnt run for five days during the snow due to a bug. I though that would have got rid of the problem but its still there. I have it at least six weeks now but its not really bad and doesnt stop me exercising.

I have a few short races coming up so didnt really want to stop altogether.

Any tips or feedback?

I also have had a few massages on the area.

I go for physio if foam rolling or rest doesn’t work - not that I am very good at resting. I’ve been through a couple of physios before finding a brilliant one. The first two were useless and I paid one guy a fortune and at the end he told me if I wasn’t prepared to stop running which was bad for me anyway then he couldn’t fix me. I was recommended another one who sorted me out in 4 sessions (i’d 6 different injuries) and she kept me running 3-5km 3 times weekly while treating me. She was a runner herself which helped I believe. I go back to her fairly quickly now when niggles start to prevent any other injuries popping up - well once every few months maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I go for physio if foam rolling or rest doesn’t work - not that I am very good at resting. I’ve been through a couple of physios before finding a brilliant one. The first two were useless and I paid one guy a fortune and at the end he told me if I wasn’t prepared to stop running which was bad for me anyway then he couldn’t fix me. I was recommended another one who sorted me out in 4 sessions (i’d 6 different injuries) and she kept me running 3-5km 3 times weekly while treating me. She was a runner herself which helped I believe. I go back to her fairly quickly now when niggles start to prevent any other injuries popping up - well once every few months maybe.

Thanks Kelly, that sounds successful alright, yeah Im kind of apprehensive about paying a Physio after being ripped off myself in the past though it may end up being inevitable.

Definitely ask for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

If the problem doesn't go away after a few days rest you need a proper physio. Ask around other runners. After 4 wks fooking around with a calf injury, I gave in and went to physio on Monday, back running pain free today, should be back up to speed next week.

jamule wrote: »
    If the problem doesn't go away after a few days rest you need a proper physio. Ask around other runners. After 4 wks fooking around with a calf injury, I gave in and went to physio on Monday, back running pain free today, should be back up to speed next week.

Yeah God that would be great if it gets sorted as soon as that. I will look into this week. Glad yours is better now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Might be worth your while (and money) to find out if you're going to a physiotherapist or a physical therapist (there's a difference).

Like a lot of sports people I've been through a few before finding someone who'd treatments worked for me.

Other than that if rest isn't working its probably time to see a physio, you don't need a doctors appointment for a physio.

Might be worth your while (and money) to find out if you're going to a physiotherapist or a physical therapist (there's a difference).

Like a lot of sports people I've been through a few before finding someone who'd treatments worked for me.

Other than that if rest isn't working its probably time to see a physio, you don't need a doctors appointment for a physio.

well what I found with the Physio was that he was spending a lot of the time getting me to show him how I was doing the exercises. Really what I wanted was for him to prescribe the exercises and then give me a massage for most of the time. I thought he was lazy.

So I started going to just a regular sports masseur and she was the business but she wanted to use alternative methods of massage so I stopped using her. I think she found my thighs to hard to massage and was getting tired after a while.

I had another lady massaging me but I let her down several times so I dont think she wants to see me again. :rolleyes:

You need to find a better physio. Mine gets to work within seconds of me arriving checking i’ve full range of motion while I tell her where the pain is. Pain could be in my calf but the problem is usually in my left hip. At the end she’ll give me exercises to do and except for being tender from her working on me i’m usually fixed in one go. If you are Dublin or Wicklow she has recommended physios for a friend of mine that I can pm you. I’m in Cork.

You need to find a better physio. Mine gets to work within seconds of me arriving checking i’ve full range of motion while I tell her where the pain is. Pain could be in my calf but the problem is usually in my left hip. At the end she’ll give me exercises to do and except for being tender from her working on me i’m usually fixed in one go. If you are Dublin or Wicklow she has recommended physios for a friend of mine that I can pm you. I’m in Cork.

Hi Kelly, yes if you can PM me I'm in Dublin, that would be great...really appreciate that!

Hi Kelly, yes if you can PM me I'm in Dublin, that would be great...really appreciate that!

Just sent you a pm there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Would have constant niggles of some form until I started to take 1 ZMA an hour before bed. I would get by with just magnesium as I used to take that on its own but I used to get sick quite a lot also with flu/colds (A cold would take 1-2 weeks to get rid of now 1-2 days and I wouldn't have to stop running).
    I don't foam roll or stretch and don't really even feel the need to. (probably would benefit me) Of course this is all individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

well what I found with the Physio was that he was spending a lot of the time getting me to show him how I was doing the exercises. Really what I wanted was for him to prescribe the exercises and then give me a massage for most of the time. I thought he was lazy.

So I started going to just a regular sports masseur and she was the business but she wanted to use alternative methods of massage so I stopped using her. I think she found my thighs to hard to massage and was getting tired after a while.

I had another lady massaging me but I let her down several times so I dont think she wants to see me again. :rolleyes:[/quote

What are "alternatives methods of massage".?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

My physio is the same, he gets me to do some exercises to see what he is dealing with after telling him what is hurting he then works on the issue and gives me exercises and I am good to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I'll hijack this thread rather than start a new one, apologies.

Again, not seeking medical advice as such, just a wonder if this is typical.

I have only recently started running, and by running, I mean walking/jogging for 20-30 mins at at time, 2-3 times a week for the last 6 weeks or so. I have run before, and got up to half marathon. That time before I trained too much too fast, and was always sore and aching and niggles, so this time I decided I'd take it very slow and gradually build.

In the mornings when I get up after a run the night before, my heel on one foot is very tight, can barely put weight on the foot. After a few minutes of walking it stretches out and feels fine (however if I apply pressure on a point on the heel, it'd nearly drop me to the ground!). I'm the same after a run when I sit down for a while and stand back up, heel tight, but seems worst in the morning after resting over night.

Is this something wrong, or is my body still adapting to running? I'm over 105kg in weight, so maybe my weight is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Sounds like your achilles. Be careful with it as it's a nightmare of an injury. Seek professional advice.

I have only recently started running, and by running, I mean walking/jogging for 20-30 mins at at time, 2-3 times a week for the last 6 weeks or so. I have run before, and got up to half marathon. That time before I trained too much too fast, and was always sore and aching and niggles, so this time I decided I'd take it very slow and gradually build.

In the mornings when I get up after a run the night before, my heel on one foot is very tight, can barely put weight on the foot. After a few minutes of walking it stretches out and feels fine (however if I apply pressure on a point on the heel, it'd nearly drop me to the ground!). I'm the same after a run when I sit down for a while and stand back up, heel tight, but seems worst in the morning after resting over night.

Is this something wrong, or is my body still adapting to running? I'm over 105kg in weight, so maybe my weight is an issue.

I’d say a trip to the physio would help. I don’t think it would be your weight but more a very tight muscle that needs to be worked out. Probably better to get it fixed sooner rather than later and you’ll be pain free.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Foam rolling, Pilates, yoga

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cox222

Sounds very like Plantar Fasciitis. Some people can continue to train with, but I found that it got progressively worse to the point where I was out of action for over 3 months.

Try resting for a week to see if it goes away. Make sure you're stretching your calves before and after running. Also make sure you have good running shoes. There are lots of other things you can try but I don't want to veer into medical advice territory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

To be honest, I know I need a new pair of running shoes. I'm only running in a pair of new balance. This probably doesn't help!

I looked at plantar fasciitis after you mentioned it, it's not this. Pain isn't in the base of heel on the sole of the foot, it's on the back of the heel. It's mainly where No. 1 is on this picture, so seems to be some type of achilles issue as alluded to by another poster.

20519157fd3cd44d8db1142ac7552a14--tendinitis-tendon.jpg

I was hoping it was just a "new to running while your body is adjusting" issue... but maybe not!!

To be honest, I know I need a new pair of running shoes. I'm only running in a pair of new balance. This probably doesn't help!

I looked at plantar fasciitis after you mentioned it, it's not this. Pain isn't in the base of heel on the sole of the foot, it's on the back of the heel. It's mainly where No. 1 is on this picture, so seems to be some type of achilles issue as alluded to by another poster.

I was hoping it was just a "new to running while your body is adjusting" issue... but maybe not!!

Even if new to running though I think that it would be great to get checked out and make sure you are in ship shape and then you aren’t risking doing any damage by further running. It’s hard to keep going with your running if in pain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I picked up an insertional achilles tendonitis injury in October 2016. I'm not going to lie its an awful injury that I'm only really on top of now. Just like you the pain was at point 1 on the graphic, stiff in the morning etc. Don't waste time trying to manage it yourself because you may do damage. As I already said seek professional advice and ideally get a MRI don't have someone guessing what injury you have. Most insurance companies will cover it if done in the SSC. Load management will be very important along with the rehabilitation. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've started a little jogging. C25k type thing. I was okay building up to 5k but now if I jog 5k (takes 28 to 29 minutes) I get a niggle on inside front of right lower leg.
    People have said it's shin splints. It's 2 weeks before I can comfortably jog again so it's seriously stopping me from improving. I will then need a further 2 weeks after next run
    Any tips to prevent this.

mickdw wrote: »
    I've started a little jogging. C25k type thing. I was okay building up to 5k but now if I jog 5k (takes 28 to 29 minutes) I get a niggle on inside front of right lower leg.
    People have said it's shin splints. It's 2 weeks before I can comfortably jog again so it's seriously stopping me from improving. I will then need a further 2 weeks after next run

Slow down your pace and do you take rest day between running, I used compression socks and iced the area . do a good warm up dynamic stretches before you run and static stretches when you finish. get your feet checked and make sure you are wearing the correct runners this helped me a lot.

But if the pain is preventing you from running for 2 weeks you need to go to a physio and get it checked out.

If you ignore them and keep running it is possible to get a stress fracture happened to a girl from my running club. not saying that will happen to you! but if you are in that much discomfort I would go to a physio.

Again I’d say physio. It may not be shin splints. Last year I had severe
    pain is similar to what you describe and I was convinced it was shin splints. It turned out that it was a major knot in the muscle. Once the physio managed to get rid of it I was running pain free.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just a little more info. After 2 weeks, it's fine, I can run fine but after the run, I feel the issue and wouldn't be able to run freely again without feeling it for 2 weeks.
    To be honest I'm new to this. I just do a short quick walk and then start into 5k.
    What sort of warm up should I be doing?
    Also I think I will get a new pair of runners too.
    I wouldn't call it pain but it's certainly not something I would be able to run properly with.

Just a little more info. After 2 weeks, it's fine, I can run fine but after the run, I feel the issue and wouldn't be able to run freely again without feeling it for 2 weeks.
    To be honest I'm new to this. I just do a short quick walk and then start into 5k.
    What sort of warm up should I be doing?
    Also I think I will get a new pair of runners too.
    I wouldn't call it pain but it's certainly not something I would be able to run properly with.

A good warm up would be https://yurielkaim.com/dynamic-stretches-for-runners/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

General answer

As you run more you become in tune with identifying what is an injury and what is a niggle / general soreness / the natural repair process.
    If I went to see my physiotherapist or didn't run every time I had a niggle I would be broke and unfit.

An injury that stops you running is typically painful and you can sense you are not doing it any favours by continuing your activity, some lesser injuries or tweaks can be managed by reduced mileage / intensity.

Niggles generally you feel you can run through and can feel a little better once you are warmed up, etc.

I think it's no harm in seeing a sports specific physio anyway, most overuse injuries / niggles are caused by a break in the chain somewhere, getting this assessed and leaving with a set of exercises to focus on correcting could be invaluable.

Advertisement