Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New GAA president wants a 2 tiered football championship by 2021.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The incoming GAA president John Horan wants a 2 tiered football championship by 2021. I think he's right IMO. Don't really understand the bitter resistance to this, especially in some of the weaker counties. The club championships (football and hurling) have it, inter-county hurling has it. So why not football?

Lets face it, counties like Wicklow etc will probably never win a Senior All Ireland championship. The hours of effort that the players from these counties put in should mean that they should be rewarded with a realistic chance of winning something in Croke Park. Oh and any final of a prospective 'B' championship must be in Croker on All Ireland Finals Day and not get the same shoddy treatment the Tommy Murphy Cup got etc.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0314/947271-horan-wants-intermediate-football-championship-by-2021/

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/new-gaa-president-john-horan-wants-a-twotiered-football-championship-by-2021-36703728.html

I see the pathetic promotion of the lower hurling tiers

that is what is in store for most counties

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

If there is to be a B championship it has to be a stand alone, with the winner getting promoted.

None of this "lose in the A and then play in the B", that contributed to the downfall of the Tommy Murphy.

Let teams have a realistic goal for the season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15 kiss_my_face

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

If there is to be a B championship it has to be a stand alone, with the winner getting promoted.

None of this "lose in the A and then play in the B", that contributed to the downfall of the Tommy Murphy.

Let teams have a realistic goal for the season.

Sorry, you may have to spell this out for me. :rolleyes: How would a team get promoted and no team gets relegated?

I imagine to start off that (very roughly) the top 2 divisions would play for Sam and the bottom 2 play for the second tier comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

So there will be 1 team in the 1st Tier and 31 in the 2nd one?

The one thing i wouldn't agree with is putting it on AI final.

Bad enough trying to tickets as it is never mind having two counties where 10-20k might want to go.
    Would dilute the atmosphere having it basically split into 4.

There's enough scope to use the semis which are usually short 10 to 30k so it would fill that gap better.

At least currently the minors can contain a competing county and its mostly just family and friends with an interest attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sorry, you may have to spell this out for me. :rolleyes: How would a team get promoted and no team gets relegated?

I imagine to start off that (very roughly) the top 2 divisions would play for Sam and the bottom 2 play for the second tier comp.

If it were based on league standings, Meath not going well in Division 2. Could be relegated. It would be some kick in the team for a team with their historical calibre to be playing in a 2nd tier competition. And the likes of Armagh, Derry, Westmeath are in Division 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I seem to recall players saying they wouldn't like to be competing for something called the B championship.
    I'd prefer it to be called the All Ireland Intermediate Championship than named after a Tommy Murphy or Paidi O Se. Junior and Intermediate levels are ingrained in people due to the club championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Oh and any final of a prospective 'B' championship must be in Croker on All Ireland Finals Day and not get the same shoddy treatment the Tommy Murphy Cup got etc.

Not a hope this could happen, with ticket allocation

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

jam83 wrote: »
    I seem to recall players saying they wouldn't like to be competing for something called the B championship.
    I'd prefer it to be called the All Ireland Intermediate Championship than named after a Tommy Murphy or Paidi O Se. Junior and Intermediate levels are ingrained in people due to the club championship.

Camogie and ladies football have junior, intermediate and senior.

I completely agree with it, and I agree with how it was laid out in terms of it being a proper competition and not something that you would drop into as a B championship.

In terms of a relegation, bottom two teams in each of the super 8 groups play off in a relegation final perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

In terms of a relegation, bottom two teams in each of the super 8 groups play off in a relegation final perhaps?

Only 8 teams in the A Championship? That's madness

If based on league standings, Kerry, Tyrone or Mayo could quite conceivably be playing in the B championship next year - given they're all in a relegation battle now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Previous incarninations of this have involved teams losing their provincial game, then losing their qualifier and then playing in the Tommy Murphy Cup.

That's BS, no team is going to be interested after two losses.

Let a team start and finish in the same competition, not three different ones.

The team that wins the intermediate gets promoted and plays in the next level the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    The team that wins the intermediate gets promoted and plays in the next level the next year.
    and what happens the provincial championship ?

and what happens the provincial championship ?

Bin it. Unlikely to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

If its done right it would make the most sense. Two championships A and B. 4 groups of 4 then onto champions league style quarter finals. To those who say the weaker counties will never have a chance at winning an All Ireland, they will have the same chance as they do now. Try to win the B championship to get up to the A championship if you are good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Finals of this 2nd competition on semi final day of 1st competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

It has to be done, and it should be done in the way the women's football and camoige is run, in fact the way every county grades their club teams. I do think though the only real catalyst for change will be a drop in gates at championship games

Advertisement