Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway from Dublin to Cork?

• 13-03-2018 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have an idea to get a greenway linking Dublin and Cork, although it wouldn't be as enjoyable as, for example, the one in Waterford.

This idea is to narrow the old N8 to the width of most regional roads and put the greenway on the gained strip of land.

Then, a row of trees and bushes could be planted between it between it and the road to make it segregated.

There are parts of the Mayo greenway that directly parallel the N59, or another road, which is where I got the idea.

There are probably some complications I haven't thought about, though.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

We could probably close down a number of local roads (bog roads etc) and turn them into a Greenway. Ireland has one of the highest density of roads and we don't need a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

We could probably close down a number of local roads (bog roads etc) and turn them into a Greenway. Ireland has one of the highest density of roads and we don't need a lot of them.

That is true. We really don't need most of those roads. Are there many that don't have a house on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

That is true. We really don't need most of those roads. Are there many that don't have a house on them?

Bulldoze one off housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Are there any bog roads between Dublin and Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

There are probably a few options for a greenway Dublin to Cork, my Greenway Map proposes running alongside the railway using IE land where possible to reduce costs but theres definitely scope for alternatives, one issue with the route is that it doesn't benefit from being part of the EuroVelo system, the current progress on Dublin/Galway is definitely helped by it being part of EV2 (Obviously the Canal also helps) but then EV1 has quite woeful provision along the Atlantic coast and it could be a jewel in the crown of Irish tourism, so the only thing really stopping a Cork/Dublin route is vision and someone in power willing to fund it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Dublin - Grand Canal - Barrow Navigation -X- New Ross - Waterford - Dungarvan -X- Cork

Where the X is the curently unplanned missing gaps
    And its a short gap from New Ross to St Mullins, and EV1 would need a link from Dungarvan to Cork anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Dublin - Grand Canal - Barrow Navigation -X- New Ross - Waterford - Dungarvan -X- Cork

And its a short gap from New Ross to St Mullins, and EV1 would need a link from Dungarvan to Cork anyway.

Mercifully the supporters of the Barrow Navigation are vigilant. Not every path and railway in Ireland will be allowed to be tarmacked or hollow cored over.

Mercifully the supporters of the Barrow Navigation are vigilant. Not every path and railway in Ireland will be allowed to be tarmacked or hollow cored over.

Absolutely right, how dare those people in wheelchairs, families with kids in buggys and families on bikes disturb Olivia O'Learys walk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There is something to be said for difference, not every path / walk / route has to be the same, yes if a closed railway is being cleared and made into a greenaway its not a bad idea to make it bike and wheelchair friendly, but if it's fine as a path, leave it as a path

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

There is certainly a solution that avoids using the lower section of the barrow navigation, if the aim is to tie in to the 'Kilkenny greenway' then using the disused railway from Muine Bheag down to the New Ross - Enniscorthy Line would be a great option, especially if an 'off track' section could be worked out from Poulmounty Mill to Macmurrough Island (both to cut off the big dogleg out to where the lines meet and get closer to the Barrow for scenery)

I have that line on my map. I might add a link route along the road there, it might be feasible to do a kerb separated cycleway along it to link them, although that wouldn't be quite as nice as a fully off road route.

I have a potential route along the old line from Dungarvan to Mallow also, may be possible to figure out a river route along that to link to Cork? Mouth of the Blackwater means theres nothing down Youghal Direction on the Waterford side to link in to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

There is certainly a solution that avoids using the lower section of the barrow navigation, if the aim is to tie in to the 'Kilkenny greenway' then using the disused railway from Muine Bheag down to the New Ross - Enniscorthy Line would be a great option, especially if an 'off track' section could be worked out from Poulmounty Mill to Macmurrough Island (both to cut off the big dogleg out to where the lines meet and get closer to the Barrow for scenery)

I have that line on my map. I might add a link route along the road there, it might be feasible to do a kerb separated cycleway along it to link them, although that wouldn't be quite as nice as a fully off road route.

I have a potential route along the old line from Dungarvan to Mallow also, may be possible to figure out a river route along that to link to Cork? Mouth of the Blackwater means theres nothing down Youghal Direction on the Waterford side to link in to.

I like the idea of using the old Mhuine Bheag line. I’m very much in favour of off road walking and cycling - but not at the expense of the peace and quiet of the Barrow Line. Too much one size fits all/quick fix thinking with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Midleton to youghal easily along the old railway, ferry from youghal town across to the ferry point... And then onto Ardmore, ring and dungarvan on country roads

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I like the idea of using the old Mhuine Bheag line. I’m very much in favour of off road walking and cycling - but not at the expense of the peace and quiet of the Barrow Line. Too much one size fits all/quick fix thinking with that.

So a potential resource which is sparingly used by anyone should not be improved to keep it as a resource for those limited few?

The mind boggles at the arrogance of the Barrow Line folks. Nimby personified

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we cut the personal attacks please.

Advertisement