Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PV plus Battery

• 11-03-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

These guys http://www.solarpanelteam.ie/ are selling PV panels plus battery storage...on the face of it an excellent system. Has anyone any experience of them or battery storage in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Has come up for mention before in a few Threads. I think, very expensive, was the conclusion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Griffinx wrote: »
    These guys http://www.solarpanelteam.ie/ are selling PV panels plus battery storage...on the face of it an excellent system. Has anyone any experience of them or battery storage in general?

They done my 3kw panel install.
    I haven’t got the battery yet, but I plan to some day.

System works perfect, and the generation is fantastic, so much wasted though at present without the battery.

Is your roof south facing?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

kceire wrote: »
    They done my 3kw panel install.
    I haven’t got the battery yet, but I plan to some day.

System works perfect, and the generation is fantastic, so much wasted though at present without the battery.

Is your roof south facing?

No East/West so will put panels on both sides

I've yet to see a battery cheaper than giving the power away on a grid-tied installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I've yet to see a battery cheaper than giving the power away on a grid-tied installation.

The only 'battery' I've seen that works financially connected to PV is a SunAmp heat battery. You use if for hot water or heating. Saw it on a Grand Designs house and looked into it for my house. First fix ongoing and plan to get one in the next 2-3 months. Lots in the UK but don't believe anyone in Ireland has installed one yet.

• Advertisement

You can get a battery for comparable cost as conventional lecky but you then have to pay extra for installation and supporting hardware. Most people forget to include diminishing efficiency over lifetime, charger and inverter losses in their cost analysis.

These new fangled grid tied batteries as far as I'm concerned are art. We've had the technology 150 years and all of a sudden everyone seems to think it's new and viable.

I've 12.5kWh I freecycled from a static inverter emergency lighting system. I have too much respect for it though to be cycling it just to save a few cents on grid lecky.

I'm running a 2.75kWh in my motor that paid for itself in the first few months because I never have to plug the system in. I use it every day 6 months a year interspersed.

I've 1.8kWh running my workshop lighting and ELVDC radial. Most of the system is salvage so free lights and "cordless" tool operation.

Most batteries will be cheaper than running a diesel genset off grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dudda wrote: »
    The only 'battery' I've seen that works financially connected to PV is a SunAmp heat battery. You use if for hot water or heating.

If you want to heat water, I'd say installing solar tubes is financially better than solar PV as it is more efficient and it attracts a substantial subsidy

Advertisement