Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks to all for your well wishes.

First things first, it was a fantastically organised race. I've had a suspicion that I'd prefer this to the corporate type events and now it's confirmed! Biscuits, sandwiches, cups of veg soup....exactly what the doctor ordered post run. A huge thanks and congratulations to all in Bohermeen AC.

Bohermeen Spring Half Marathon:

Got down to Bohermeen about an hour before start and was well impressed with the parking arrangements. Roadside parking about a mile from the start but shuttle buses on hand which were more than able to handle the demand. Had a quick chat with Browneyes and jogged down to the start with her. She was hoping to break 2 hours and I had my fingers crossed that she would succeed. Like me she had done the Grads plan and we were both interested to see if the work had paid off.

The Race: Unlike my usual mile by mile race reports this one is going to be much shorter. The reason? Because I had a plan to try run 1:36 which was to be even paced at 4:33 per km. Normally I'd have ups and downs, slow bits and less slow bits but today was different. I actually managed to run a pretty even paced race with a slightly faster finish. Being in between the 1:30 and 1:40 pacers meant for a pretty lonely race and it was only towards the end that I started to reel people in. It's noticeable that in this type of club race there are less of the go out too fast and blow up merchants! Splits per km were 4:37, 27, 32, 30, 27, 30, 31, 30, 29, 24, 31, 32, 30, 33, 30, 27, 28, 22, 18, 16 and 26 secs for the last 0.12km. Net result...a 6 and a half minute PB!! 1:34:12!! Thrilled beyond words both with the time and the way I ran it.

Went back out the road for a cooldown after collecting goodie bag and a nice snazzy long sleeve shirt. I was hoping to meet Browneyes and maybe pace her in for her sub 2 attempt. No such need! I was only a couple of hundred yards out the gate when I met her, looking comfortable and with minutes in hand. More than five minutes inside 2 hours and a PB of more than eight minutes. I also bumped into another novice, Omeceron, who knocked 10 minutes off his 2:05 PB also on the back of the grads plan. Big thanks to Testosterscone for his plan. It has been brilliant. I really don't understand why so many '18 novices and '17 DCM graduates are messing about with other plans. This one is the real deal! :D

Had the aforementioned soup and sandwiches, a chat with AMK and Browneyes, then off for a few pints in a lovely cosy pub in Skryne. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I will admit to skipping straight to the end to see the result, 6 1/2 min pb!!!!! wow!! congrats S that's FANTASTIC!!!

*goes back to read the post again properly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Brilliant! Absolutely delighted for you:)

Safiri wrote: »
    Brilliant! Absolutely delighted for you:)

Thanks a million. And thanks too for your many comments about running too fast on easy runs. It has probably been the single best piece of advice I have received. Yes, I got it from others too but your insistence was convincing. For novices and/or masters runners it's a game changer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's fantastic news.. And that pacing! Unreal. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks a million. And thanks too for your many comments about running too fast on easy runs. It has probably been the single best piece of advice I have received. Yes, I got it from others too but your insistence was convincing. For novices and/or masters runners it's a game changer!

No worries at all, being a pain in the ass comes naturally to me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Class performance Sean all the hard work you have put in has paid off in spades!

Delighted for you as I know how much this one had meant to you.....I must admit to stalking the results to see how you got on!

Enjoy the few pints to celebrate.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That’s a terrific result. Hearty congratulations!

Safiri wrote: »
    No worries at all, being a pain in the ass comes naturally to me:pac:

I thought insistence was more politically correct but yes a pain in the ass is probably more accurate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done Sean :D I hope you have been enjoying the celebratory pints Well deserved

• Advertisement

Class performance Sean all the hard work you have put in has paid off in spades!

Delighted for you as I know how much this one had meant to you.....I must admit to stalking the results to see how you got on!

Enjoy the few pints to celebrate.

C

Oh I will...a few and a few more. Yeah it was an odd one. It was important to me as I felt a few of us were like crash test dummies for the Grads plan. 3 runners with a combined total of 25 minutes of PBs says it all. Success!

That's fantastic news.. And that pacing! Unreal. Well done.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    That’s a terrific result. Hearty congratulations!

Thanks lads, greatly appreciated especially from you two. Amongst my favourite training logs and contributors. Cheers.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done Sean :D I hope you have been enjoying the celebratory pints Well deserved

Had a few after the race. Home now, showered and out for a few more tonight. I think I'll watch the highlights of the real Skyblues demolish Kerry again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done Sean. That was one very disciplined and well run race today. Great run and great result.

denis b wrote: »
    Well done Sean. That was one very disciplined and well run race today. Great run and great result.

Thanks Denis. The penny has finally dropped as regards pacing. It's amazing how one pace can feel like a jog at the start and pure torture 90 minutes later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great stuff Sean, big well done to you. Very well paced and a strong finish there.

diego_b wrote: »
    Great stuff Sean, big well done to you. Very well paced and a strong finish there.

I'm delighted. Really I can't thank the gang in here enough. All ages, all paces, everyone who contributes here provides little gems of wisdom and inspiration. From people striving to do a 5k in 30 minutes to those who run 50k races there is the connection of wanting to improve. I'd leave too many out if I tried to list them but in all honesty the contributions on Boards are often incredibly motivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to meet you today!
    Thats a super result - I was delighted that you were delighted - its an amazing amount of your PB - you'll progress even more on the strength of that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Huge congrats Sean. So happy for you. Great to see the benefits of hard work being paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Fantastic result, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Very well executed - hope you’re still buzzing this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very well done on a massive PB, run like that will bring you on even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Had a few after the race. Home now, showered and out for a few more tonight. I think I'll watch the highlights of the real Skyblues demolish Kerry again! :D

Congrats on a very successful day all round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

As i've said elsewhere super racing and super result S. Well deserved too. So happy for you.

Congrats on a very successful day all round :D

When I throw in the Utd and Ireland results too it turns into a near perfect weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Wow, great PB! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ahh wow, this is just brilliant! Sounds like a pretty perfect race and a cracking result - well done! Hope you're still enjoying the warm glow today :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Ahh wow, this is just brilliant! Sounds like a pretty perfect race and a cracking result - well done! Hope you're still enjoying the warm glow today :)

The warm glow is still here and it has been joined by a pair of poker stiff hamstrings! :( The foam roller has already had plenty of use and will again for the next few days. :pac:

Firstly thanks to all for your very kind words. They are really appreciated.

Well that's the first block of training done of the year and very satisfactorily so. It all went great apart from missing a couple of long runs over Christmas and a couple of sessions during Emma's snowy visit. What have I taken from the training and the race itself? Firstly I love the graduates plan provided by Testosterscone. It ticked all the boxes for me and I really enjoyed my first experiences of sessions. Some were painful of course but I got a real high from getting them done. Secondly I have begun to embrace hurt :) Hopefully the days of crazy negative splits are gone. They served a good purpose for me and helped build confidence and belief but their time has now passed. This has been helped by the race paces on the calculator on the grads page. I have found it very accurate and it has allowed me set race paces that are achievable while also taking me to my limits and a bit beyond.

Next couple of weeks will be nothing but easy runs. I base this on one easy day for every mile raced. After that I will start on the grads 5/10k plan and aim at a yet to be selected target race that ties in with the plan. I will probably deviate from it slightly to throw in the odd race along the way. I have a softish 10k PB to get rid of and a jelly soft 10 mile time to improve on.

The plan finishes on June 25 so any suggestions for a good 5/10k race on this weekend would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer if it was a good club run race rather than any of the race series. I've been bitten by the bug that was the feel good mood in Raheny and Bohermeen. A race must have sandwiches and/or cake! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

23rd of June 7.30pm Dunshaughlin 10km, arguably the best 10k in Ireland.

Advertisement